Joey Martin Re-Signs

Finny

Thread starter #1
Do the Moderators want us to keep all Devils signings under the one topic or separate threads for each?

Personally I think this deserves it's own thread. I'm genuinely gobsmacked Joey is back for another season. He could walk into any European league IMO and I was just grateful we were able to watch him for one season.

Wow. Seriously, wow.

Have Hope#35

My favourite player from last season (a couple ran him close for that title)... Very pleased to see him return! Like Finny I expected him to move on to bigger and better things, just goes to show how much he must have enjoyed his time here! Well done to everyone involved in recapturing his services.
Welcome back Joey...

Devil_Abroad

So is everyone now more confident that other marquee players will be returning?

Todd, Andrew and the owners keep telling us this is something special - so do we all believe now?

[emoji122]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

wildthing74

Was the stand out import for me from about week 3 when I noticed how hard he works both ends of the ice unlike some equally flashy forwards we've seen in this league. He was the the guy I wanted back most and thrilled but not surprised as he could easily play in Europe but genuinely loves it here as does Meghan.

Well played Devils getting such a key guy signed early and you only need see the awards Marty won to see how much the fans wanted him back.

That's 2/3 of our best line last year confirmed so hopefully we can keep those 3 together as they worked great together and be good to have continuity especially for the few months in the tent.

A few more key imports from last year plus all the Brits returning would be nice and day's like today makes me want to get back to bbt asap as was not missing hockey til this confirmation.

Finny

Thread starter #6
Bringing a player like Joey Martin to the EIHL on a Uni Deal for a year is one thing. Convincing them to stay after that is much, much harder. The top leagues in Europe can offer them much more money and without a Uni deal it is tough to compete.
Although I was still shocked he came to us in the first place having just had his best ever spell in the AHL at almost a point every other game.

Our City has always been a massive bonus in our favour, but I think it's a testament to how well the club is now being run off the ice that Joey has decided to stay so quickly in the summer.

Fantastic news, good on you Joe and the management. Do you think we will get an announcement every week? I thought I could use the off season to relax a bit, it's not happening so far :D

ASHIPP

For a player of Joey's calibre to re-sign tells me two things

Firstly, a real statement of intent from the Club about competing next season. Joey would be welcome on any roster..

Secondly, for a player to commit early after 1 season, something special must have happened at our beloved Club

If this is an indication of loyalty from last season'splayers, I'm ecstatic.

Welcome home Joey, and thankyou.

wildthing74

Agree Finny and I must admit when we signed him I thought he would be too good for this league and be away in a year max too. Absolutely delighted with this being the first announcement.

Ocko

Superb signing. It will be hard to top that and it's not even May yet! Best all round player in the league. Roy may have won the award but Joey has a better defensive game and bigger heart (and doesn't dive).

Welcome back Joey!

Koop11

In terms of re-signings, this is as good as it could get! Mr Martin is a fantastic player to watch. Plays the game honest and with an unbelievable work rate, both ends of the ice. Version, speed, awareness, discipline, finishing, all in abundance. Welcome back Joey.

What a signing to start with!

Genuinely surprised we managed to keep Joey, I thought he would be off to a top team in Europe.

Hopefully this sets the tone for the rest of the roster and players will see we mean business this year and encourage them to come back

rocketbob

Genuinely gobsmacked at this. :RAWK So happy to see Joey back. As others have mentioned I expected that Joey would be moving up to a much higher league. Glad he loves Cardiff as much as we love him. :RAWK :RAWK

A major signing and with this tweet from Joey will attract the players we want back, but will also attract top draw players from higher leagues!!!

"I'm very excited to be a Cardiff Devil for another season. First class organization, best fans in the league, and unfinished business!!"

WOW!! :Banana :Banana

Ocko

What's getting exciting now is seeing the dynasty that Lord will try and create. We seen it with G and the players he signed that kept coming back like Voth, Macrae, Max, Matzka. Last season everything was new but hopefully we'll see a number of players like Haddad, Mo, Hudson and Hotham return for a number of years.

Wannabe2

Ocko said:
What's getting exciting now is seeing the dynasty that Lord will try and create. We seen it with G and the players he signed that kept coming back like Voth, Macrae, Max, Matzka. Last season everything was new but hopefully we'll see a number of players like Haddad, Mo, Hudson and Hotham return for a number of years.
Amen to that mate, we finally have a club where promises are kept, honesty means something, ambition means something, fans mean something, and positivity is Paramount.
Happy Hockey Days.