Jono coming back!

A

Anonymous

Thread starter #1
Rumour has it he will be returning to devils??
Hope this doesnt happen.

DevilDom

I'm not sure why we would want him. I'd take Phil Hill over him every day of the week and with our young brits why would we want an ageing, injury prone, expensive player?

Finny

If Jono was coming back I would assume that would mean that Stevie Lyle is retiring and we need to lose an import up front to get an import netminder in.
Whilst our young brits are improving, we don't want to burn them out and another experienced brit could be crucial.

wildthing74

There is concern about his injuries but he has recovered well both times and quickly too so sign of a good healer.
We get this every summer and it seemed on until his mate Finner took the job.A year ago I would take him in a shot but we have brought on our own Brit forwards this year so I would question the logic.I guess depends on if we are keeping all our Brit forwards?
I'm far from convinced this is a likely signing but I would be happy to see him in a Devils shirt even more so if he lines up alongside Myers.

voth26

not for me, a couple yrs ago maybe not now. he's not the same player from a few yrs ago and doesnt seem to have the same impact on games any longer just my thoughts through

DevilDom

I'd rather young, hungry players like Harding, Burrows, Ben Davies, Josh Batch, Sam Smith and Luke Piggot over a player past his best but still looking for a big wage even if Lyle does retire. With Richardson and Phill Hill I still don't see why we would need him.

Burrows and Sam Smith have hardly iced over the past month or so and we have still been able to ice 3 competitive lines. If Lyle retires, we get an import nettie and we can ice all the young forwards every game. There is also the likes of Jamie Hayes to consider. He has had another fantastic season for the ENL Devils so maybe he could be given a chance again.

Gazza272

Experienced brit? - Check

Winner? - Check

leader? - Check

Throw into that he's a local boy and Devils fan so would give that extra 10% I cannot for the life of me see the problem.

Yeah ok so he has a whinge at Referees he does for his team what he can to win. Nothing but an admirable quality for me.

If Jono wants to come home then Welcome back mate :D

Skippy

DevilDom said:
I'd rather young, hungry players like Harding, Burrows, Ben Davies, Josh Batch, Sam Smith and Luke Piggot over a player past his best but still looking for a big wage even if Lyle does retire. With Richardson and Phill Hill I still don't see why we would need him.

Burrows and Sam Smith have hardly iced over the past month or so and we have still been able to ice 3 competitive lines. If Lyle retires, we get an import nettie and we can ice all the young forwards every game. There is also the likes of Jamie Hayes to consider. He has had another fantastic season for the ENL Devils so maybe he could be given a chance again.
Have to agree with this, it seems an odd move unless he's cheap which I just can't see.

The depth of talent in the young Brits in Cardiff already would in my mind make this an odd signing at best.

skippy said:
DevilDom said:

Have to agree with this, it seems an odd move unless he's cheap which I just can't see.

The depth of talent in the young Brits in Cardiff already would in my mind make this an odd signing at best.
+1 I just can’t see him being value for money, Paul has already stated that we need to be disciplined in the cost area of the business, Hiring Phillips at the rumoured wage pack he demands is not demonstrating this. especially when we have the brits we have at elite and enl level.

Gazza272 said:
Experienced brit? - Check

Winner? - Check

leader? - Check

Throw into that he's a local boy and Devils fan so would give that extra 10% I cannot for the life of me see the problem.

Yeah ok so he has a whinge at Referees he does for his team what he can to win. Nothing but an admirable quality for me.

If Jono wants to come home then Welcome back mate :D
Almighty whinger and delayer of game - Yes, check !! ( "An admirable quality"!!!!!!!! I don't want him whinging for our team....or any team. The interminable delays he causes on every sin binning just bores and frustrates those who come to watch the fastest team game in the country.

Injury prone in the last few years - check. ( and if our coach is considering enlisting Birbraer and Mark Smith, after their serious injuries, we surely shouldn't even be contemplating another player with an injury prone recent past )

Limited goal scoring ability - check.

As for Phillips' likely 'effort'.....The one thing our coach always seems to be able to get on an individual's effort basis....is the maximum.....so no gain there, either.

A return to the Devils for Phillips....... would be a significant backward step for the club. I'll be disappointed if it happens.

drainage

Personally dont want to be talking about any signings right now .....unless its current squad and re signing them??

Dont like unsettling/speculative rumours just before play offs ........and if we start now what do we do for rest of summer :lol: :lol:

Plenty of time to debate Wellers imminent return after Easter :D

i dont buy 50/50 etc tickets every week and go support the enl every week so players can give there best years to our arch rivels, we got good brits who deserve our support and yes players like hayes coming up next. rather give them the extra bucks and ice time. i know its a short carrier but being a supporter is harder, its for life and we have to live with chinn,jono and myers pickin up those medals while we struggle along tryin to find the next local hero and hope he don't catch the same bus out of town as the the 3 just mentiond, i know thats life but it don't half suck.

Wannabe2

Cant see it happening myself, think Steelers would want him to stay, his young lady is local but could be wrong. I would have Jono back if the price was right, he is a local lad, very experienced, a capt of a trophy winning team, a very committed player and a nice guy.

TheStub

Re: Re: Jono coming back!

Wannabe2 said:
Cant see it happening myself, think Steelers would want him to stay, his young lady is local but could be wrong. I would have Jono back if the price was right, he is a local lad, very experienced, a capt of a trophy winning team, a very committed player and a nice guy.
I'm with you there.

If the price was right, he adds a lot of vetran experience.

With all the talent in our young Brits you would think we'll lose someone over the summer. You'd hope not, but other clubs may be able to offer more time on a higher line.

Gazza272

schulersagoodun said:
Almighty whinger and delayer of game - Yes, check !! ( "An admirable quality"!!!!!!!! I don't want him whinging for our team....or any team. The interminable delays he causes on every sin binning just bores and frustrates those who come to watch the fastest team game in the country.

Injury prone in the last few years - check. ( and if our coach is considering enlisting Birbraer and Mark Smith, after their serious injuries, we surely shouldn't even be contemplating another player with an injury prone recent past )

Limited goal scoring ability - check.

As for Phillips' likely 'effort'.....The one thing our coach always seems to be able to get on an individual's effort basis....is the maximum.....so no gain there, either.

A return to the Devils for Phillips....... would be a significant backward step for the club. I'll be disappointed if it happens.

And you dont think Jono learned about whinging to refs and delaying the face offs from Vez and Ed Patterson? Come on! Those guys could drag out games for entire weekends if they had to.

Limited goal scoring ability because his seasons have been stunted by Injury yes, the last full season he played he scored plenty.

Of course there is a gain if Adams gets the maximum effort out of Phillips, the guy is one of the best penalty killers in the league and could be used as one of the most effective 3rdl line brits in the league if nessecery. He has loads of upside.

Backwards step I simply cannot see, the exsisting brits could be kept and learn a hell of a lot for him.

The only thing i would agree with you with is the injuries are a worry.