Justin Crandall

ASHIPP

The complete player is Joey Martin....very high hockey IQ to excel on his own and makes his line mates better. Everywhere on the ice helping out on his shifts. Win or lose, he plays with determination, dedication, passion....has he ever had a bad shift? This should be the gold standard for all Devils players.

jenks33

Thread starter #42
The complete player is Joey Martin....very high hockey IQ to excel on his own and makes his line mates better. Everywhere on the ice helping out on his shifts. Win or lose, he plays with determination, dedication, passion....has he ever had a bad shift? This should be the gold standard for all Devils players.
Even a player like Jake Morissette. I’m not saying Jake was the same class as Joey but you could stick him on any line and he made it work. If he wasn’t producing many points his work rate and defensive game was outstanding. No sulking and no excuses about who he was paired with, he just got on with it.

Devils86

To be fair to Crandall I'm not sure he sulked and he hasn't given his line mates as a reason for poor performance. Posters like me just pointing out possible reasons for keeping him.

jenks33

Thread starter #44
To be fair to Crandall I'm not sure he sulked and he hasn't given his line mates as a reason for poor performance. Posters like me just pointing out possible reasons for keeping him.
Apologies that was badly worded by me. The no excuses bit was aimed more at fans that are blaming Reid for Crandall underachieving last season. I think it’s very harsh to just blame Reid and it’s making excuses for Crandall. They both failed to deliver.

I’ll disagree with you about the sulking part though. I think Phinktastique also pointed out that Crandall’s body language was often quite negative last season, understandable maybe but it isn’t helpful, particularly for the younger players. I thought his defensive game was poor when you compared it to what players like Bentivoglio and Morissette brought to the table defensively. That was just my point of view though, I appreciate people might have seen things differently.

Last edited:
B

Belkster

Apologies that was badly worded by me. The no excuses bit was aimed more at fans that are blaming Reid for Crandall underachieving last season. I think it’s very harsh to just blame Reid and it’s making excuses for Crandall. They both failed to deliver.

I’ll disagree with you about the sulking part though. I think Phinktastique also pointed out that Crandall’s body language was often quite negative last season, understandable maybe but it isn’t helpful, particularly for the younger players. I thought his defensive game was poor when you compared it to what players like Bentivoglio and Morissette brought to the table defensively. That was just my point of view though, I appreciate people might have seen things differently.

When I get bored with sports in general and hockey in particular, I play. There's a great website - SlotEire - it's for Irish people, but everyone can get in. There are some interesting options there for free play.
I'll second that. It's a team game. The whole team is responsible. Although sometimes some players let the team down... They either need to be trained or replaced.

Last edited by a moderator:
It's about a full team though. We wer short at the back end and we had some high end forwards not playing to potential last season.

If we sign them back and they perform at the level that we know they can then we will be ok.

Crandall has a lot to offer if he is on the right line with people.

moggy#9

It's about a full team though. We wer short at the back end and we had some high end forwards not playing to potential last season.

If we sign them back and they perform at the level that we know they can then we will be ok.

Crandall has a lot to offer if he is on the right line with people.
If..... ;-)

I don't personally feel, and I know many others here concur, that there's little reason to believe that the under performers will suddenly come good. I'm sure that Pete Russell will want a group of players that he had confidence can execute his tactics.

Just saying "we'll be ok" is just what happened in the season just finished when deficiencies were plain to see. Clearly we weren't fine.

Last edited:

jenks33

Thread starter #49
If..... ;-)

I don't personally feel, and I know many others here concur, that there's little reason to believe that the under performers will suddenly come good. I'm sure that Pete Russell will want a group of players that he had confidence can execute his tactics.

Just saying "we'll be ok" is just what happened in the season just finished when deficiencies were plain to see. Clearly we weren't fine.
Agreed. I’m surprised how many people have said “if” Crandall is on the right line he could flourish. You could say that about so many players. In my opinion he wasn’t so outstanding in his first season that we can just ignore last season. Yes he was good in that first season but not so good that I’m happy to forget about last season. He wasn’t just inconsistent last season, he was bang average all season, 70+ games. Time to move on and try and get back to where we were pre covid. Reid, Crandall, Brittain, Penny should be replaced.

Wannabe2

Agreed. I’m surprised how many people have said “if” Crandall is on the right line he could flourish. You could say that about so many players. In my opinion he wasn’t so outstanding in his first season that we can just ignore last season. Yes he was good in that first season but not so good that I’m happy to forget about last season. He wasn’t just inconsistent last season, he was bang average all season, 70+ games. Time to move on and try and get back to where we were pre covid. Reid, Crandall, Brittain, Penny should be replaced.
Totally agree replace the above with 4/5 others.

BostonBart22

Reckon PR already signed or got the players he wants and if no room for crandall so be it, tough call to make , his first season was amazing but last season just pants and that's a reflection on others who didn't help his cause.