Kevin Westgarth

Pleximan

Thread starter #1
Westgarth looks a great signing for Belfast, he has great pedigree in the NHL.
But for the way Belfast are talking up how he is going to cause havoc in the BBT, i would like to see Devils key on him and get him eliminated from the game early on, we have plenty of tough players that outnumber Belfast, so with Westgarth thrown out on a game penalty we can carry on with our usual tough style and impose our physical style on Belfast. Losing one of our tough players on a game to get rid of Westgarth is a good trade I say.
Then Daryl Lloyd will be a good quiet little lad.

Wannabe2

Don't think Westgarth will be fighting much, he is a little too valuable for that, giants are banking on him being a detterent more than anything else. Bissonette was the same last time here, yes he was going back to the NHL, but Westgarth ain't coming all the way over here to fight.

wildthing74

I don't think he's that dumb to get drawn in. The guy can play he has no need to fight for the sake of fighting. I'm looking forward to seeing him in our league where he will shine.I saw him play for Carolina and I'm sure he will stand out a bit more in our league!

voth26

i would rather us play our game and let them worry about us, if westgarth or keefe play deal with them then, not now before we even get on the ice. and i cant see any of our guys going missing!! why should they bit of a strange comment if you ask me?

Pleximan

Thread starter #5
voth26 said:
i would rather us play our game and let them worry about us, if westgarth or keefe play deal with them then, not now before we even get on the ice. and i cant see any of our guys going missing!! why should they bit of a strange comment if you ask me?
Uhh?
The news item talks about Belfast clearly stating that having Westgarth in their lineup will make other teams including Devils change their game plan and not play their usual physical style.
My point is simply to not let Belfast impose themselves upon us with any intimidating behaviour. We absolutely should play our game, that's my point. I certainly have not suggested our guys would "go missing", how did your derive that conclusion?

DevilDom

We should play our normal physical game.

If Westgarth wants to try and stop us then he will have to fight and that will be a downgrade whoever he fights in our team (and we have plenty of options :D ).

We are not a team who relies on 1 or even 2 tough guys we have 6 or 7 guys prepared to drop the gloves if needed but who can also all play.

If he is that good, why isn't he still in North America?

With the strength in depth of our team, I can't see our guys being too worried :RAWK

Ocko

I'm not worried about how tough he is, or how big - we have enough tough guys for that. I'm worried about the playing side of his game, he is going to be quality. We were all over the moon with Biz signing, he would've lit up the league on points, Westgarth is at least on par probably better.

Pleximan

Thread starter #9
DevilDom said:
We should play our normal physical game.

If Westgarth wants to try and stop us then he will have to fight and that will be a downgrade whoever he fights in our team (and we have plenty of options :D ).

We are not a team who relies on 1 or even 2 tough guys we have 6 or 7 guys prepared to drop the gloves if needed but who can also all play.
Precisely! Hammer...nail...hit!

jimmy snels

I think that there's an underestimate of our toughness here. I'd happily see belfast make it a war, they've got keefe Westgarth and Phillips who will fight. We've got hendrikx hotham batch lord mychan Clarkson... I'd actually actively encourage it!!

Pleximan

Thread starter #12
jimmy snels said:
I think that there's an underestimate of our toughness here. I'd happily see belfast make it a war, they've got keefe Westgarth and Phillips who will fight. We've got hendrikx hotham batch lord mychan Clarkson... I'd actually actively encourage it!!
That's exactly the point I'm making, we have more weapons who are all skilled. I agree that lines will be matched and tactically that's where the game will be won, but the point I'm making is that if we confront Belfast right from the opening face off with our usual high tempo physical style with fast forechecking and bi clean hits this will probably get a reaction from Belfast. If we deal with Westgarth during any early shenanigans that will hopefully result in him being ejected that will tip the balance in our favour and we can carry on with our physical forechecking style.

I agree jimmysnels, i would actively encourage it.

DevilDom

jimmy snels said:
You forgot Marsh as well!

jimmy snels

I knew when I posted that I missed someone :lol:

Marsh when he gets aggressive is a handful. I honestly wish I saw more of that from him. I've not seen him lose a fight but beat some proper heavyweights. This season he's definitely let hendrikx and hotham lead the physical side.

Koop11

The only one I think who might be able to give Westgarth a half decent bout would be Clarkson. A part of me though doesn’t think Westgarth will be looking to fight whilst over here. He’s spent the best part of his career adopting that role and he may now wish to play a regular shift. I’m sure he’ll play physical, hard noised hockey. He’ll be silly not to use his size to his strength but I’m not sure he’ll go looking for trouble but be obliged to drop them if required. I could be very wrong though.

jimmy snels

Koop11 said:
The only one I think who might be able to give Westgarth a half decent bout would be Clarkson. A part of me though doesn’t think Westgarth will be looking to fight whilst over here. He’s spent the best part of his career adopting that role and he may now wish to play a regular shift. I’m sure he’ll play physical, hard noised hockey. He’ll be silly not to use his size to his strength but I’m not sure he’ll go looking for trouble but be obliged to drop them if required. I could be very wrong though.

As I've said in the past. Just drop your gloves and smack him. Stuff the squaring off mid ice :lol:

bb1

All this stuff about getting Westgarth ejected.....I'm sorry but he's not that dumb. He will play a tough physical role and like Ocko said it's his playing side that's more worrying. He will stand up for his team and make each of them feel a foot taller making 'already good' Belfast side even better. That's the more worrying thing along with the hits he's able to throw

voth26

Pleximan said:
voth26 said:
Uhh?
The news item talks about Belfast clearly stating that having Westgarth in their lineup will make other teams including Devils change their game plan and not play their usual physical style.
My point is simply to not let Belfast impose themselves upon us with any intimidating behaviour. We absolutely should play our game, that's my point. I certainly have not suggested our guys would "go missing", how did your derive that conclusion?
As far as im aware i havent even commented on your post, so maybe your being a tad to touchy?

bb1 said:
All this stuff about getting Westgarth ejected.....I'm sorry but he's not that dumb. He will play a tough physical role and like Ocko said it's his playing side that's more worrying. He will stand up for his team and make each of them feel a foot taller making 'already good' Belfast side even better. That's the more worrying thing along with the hits he's able to throw
No one has said ejected I don't think. The comment was get him to fight and get him sitting for 5 mins. In theory it would be a good trade off.

Have Hope#35

danhall76 said:
bb1 said:
No one has said ejected I don't think. The comment was get him to fight and get him sitting for 5 mins. In theory it would be a good trade off.
Ejected has been mentioned a couple of times in all fairness, there's one near the top of this page from Pleximan!