Kurka

Thread starter #1
Does anyone know why he's been missing from the squad the past couple of games? He wasn't in the line-up for the Fife game or last night.

I assumed they might be giving him a rest now with Russell in the squad, but was just wondering if anyone knew anything more?

Temme

He was a healthy scratch on the weekend (Lordo said in his interview...)

And again today a presumed healthy scratch.

Unless they are keeping a mild knock secretive from other clubs- it's a real shame to see the same guy sit 2, especially when he's as good as he is.

I honestly thought Lord or Haddad would sit last night, or maybe Hendo.

Nothing to do with the way they've been playing but purely down to the style of game they play meaning they may need a break
Hendo and Lord in particular are constantly taking rubber from blocking shots and all 3 play very physical.

wildthing74

I would hope he's brought in for Nottingham as he always seems to play well there on the big ice. Resting players is a good thing as long as they come back strong instead of getting frustrated.

He's obviously one of our key guys so I'm sure he will be in again soon.

Temme

Ejercito Rojas said:
I must admit I was a little surprised to see Kurka was a healthy scratch last night. Especially as his parents are over to see him play!
Was he even at the rink?

Maybe he has asked to be the scratch due to this, or it makes sense if he had visitors.

I hope it isn't (and very much doubt...) that it's because he is the natural scratch-guy when all are fit.

august04

It's a difficult problem for Lord and I hope he doesn't repeat what happened with Mychan last season and sit the same guy out every time. Saying that, despite his undoubted talent, I believe Kurka has been one of our least effective forwards this season (if not the least). I definitely would not be sitting out the likes of Lord, Haddad, Culligan, Morrissette, Hervato (and Martin is unthinkable!) or Salters (when he comes to play) unless through injury/illness. By rotating it every game though, you screw up your lines (although they were different again last night too).

august04 said:
It's a difficult problem for Lord and I hope he doesn't repeat what happened with Mychan last season and sit the same guy out every time. Saying that, despite his undoubted talent, I believe Kurka has been one of our least effective forwards this season (if not the least). I definitely would not be sitting out the likes of Lord, Haddad, Culligan, Morrissette, Hervato (and Martin is unthinkable!) or Salters (when he comes to play) unless through injury/illness. By rotating it every game though, you screw up your lines (although they were different again last night too).
Martin is the only one I would play in front of him (maybe Salters). He really does give his linemates lots of space due to the attention he receives from opposition and although not in the same league as Jake and Lordo at blocking shots, his backchecking is a joy to watch at times.He takes pucks off people sometimes without them even knowing he's done it. Very hard to knock off the puck in the corners too, even more so than Lord. Still what a great position to be in.

Temme

august04 said:
That's a very bold statement to make.

I have to admit I disagree strongly, Whilst putting the forwards in order would be very difficult, as different players serve different purposes.

Kurka is the best skater on the team - bar none.

18+18 on the year shows he is on fire.

Rather than pick players I'd drop instead of him, there's only probably 2-3 that I would put ahead of him in the pecking order.

Devil_Abroad

fried egg said:
august04 said:
Martin is the only one I would play in front of him (maybe Salters). He really does give his linemates lots of space due to the attention he receives from opposition and although not in the same league as Jake and Lordo at blocking shots, his backchecking is a joy to watch at times.He takes pucks off people sometimes without them even knowing he's done it. Very hard to knock off the puck in the corners too, even more so than Lord. Still what a great position to be in.
Think I may not be paying enough attention when I'm watching a game

Next time I take in a game I will make sure I watch all his contribution

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DevilDom

I just hope that Lord has learnt from the burnout from last year and he doesn't do with Kurka what he did with Mychan. I would like to see him back on the big ice for the Panthers game refreshed and raring to go. Glad I don't have the problem on who to drop but maybe Hendrixx maybe be the one with Culligan moving back to D. Other than that maybe Lord would like to give himself a rest or possibly Haddad. Difficult decision but a good one to have.

august04

Temme said:
august04 said:
That's a very bold statement to make.

I have to admit I disagree strongly, Whilst putting the forwards in order would be very difficult, as different players serve different purposes.

Kurka is the best skater on the team - bar none.

18+18 on the year shows he is on fire.

Rather than pick players I'd drop instead of him, there's only probably 2-3 that I would put ahead of him in the pecking order.
Hardly a bold statement, just my opinion!
Yes, he's the best skater on the team, perhaps in the league too. I find his end product frustrating at times but then every now and then he will produce something that none of the other players can do. I wish he would do it more often though and I don't think we've got the best out of him this year in the way we have others. That could be line chemistry etc etc due to so many line changes this year. Obviously, Lord thinks he should have been a healthy scratch this past 2 games (unless they're hiding an injury). I don't want to see Kurka sitting out every game and I hope they do rotate it as I don't want last year's situation to be repeated.

Temme said:
Ejercito Rojas said:
I must admit I was a little surprised to see Kurka was a healthy scratch last night. Especially as his parents are over to see him play!
Was he even at the rink?

Maybe he has asked to be the scratch due to this, or it makes sense if he had visitors.

I hope it isn't (and very much doubt...) that it's because he is the natural scratch-guy when all are fit.

Kurka's family were sat in block 10 for the game and Tomas was not with them.
He didn't ask to be scratched.
Like others have mentioned I hope Lordo doesn't make a repeat of last season and rest the same player week after week, as this makes carrying the extra import almost pointless if the same guy sits out game after game.
If there are no injuries to be considered, Russell is the most obvious guy to rotate based on his not playing since last season. Personally I think we will see Kurka ice in Nottm as he is undoubtedly one of the best and quickest two-way skaters in the league. 18 Goals also say he is doing something right!

osh

Kurka would be in my team every time when he is fit. His skating ability is unquestioned and as others have said, he is very difficult to shake off the puck, back checks as good or better than most and sets players up for great scoring opportunities. My one gripe about him is he is just not selfish enough in front of goal ! I'm sure he could have scored at least 8 to 10 more goals, but he is a perfect playmaker and I'm more than happy to have him with us. I'm sure he will receive offers from other teams for next season, let's just hope he likes the city Cardiff enough to stay put.

Devil94

He was stood behind the plexi by the Zamboni door with Brent. Would have him back for Saturday, instead of who though is a choice I wouldn't like to make.

Ocko

Kurka has to come back into the lineup. He is one of the best but not immune to being a healthy scratch, if we have players available. Still not completely convinced by Russel but admit he needs more time.

A few imports I would never drop would be Martin, Fournier, Hotham, Lord & Salters (because we look light in terms of toughness when he's not there).

The rest I think are all as good as each other and who sits could be any one of them.

mazza03

august04 said:
Wow, I think Kurka is one of our best players, it just goes to show that everyone sees players in a different way, I love the way Tomas plays.