Latest rink update

Mooney#16

Electro said:
It's not whinging it is hopping that in 5 yrs time the IAW does not go the same way as other similarly designed rinks as the IAW or the WNIR.

Some may have faith, confidence that history will not repeat. I would have more faith if the IAW had been built in a more professional way, on time and more commercially viable than other similarly designed rinks. The rink that is almost exact in design is currently a supermarket.

Don't forget the 5 yr development plan that included the ski slope and surrounding area is due to be completed in less than 2 yrs time.
I'd say IAW is pretty commercially viable though. The ice time is already pretty chock a block and at a slightly more inflated rate than BBT. Every hockey team has now moved in. The figure skaters are in. The public skating starts Saturday. Make sure you all spend your pennies at the bar and cafe. There is a pretty large income stream already flowing into IAW and it will only get bigger with a variety of events.

It's not a multi purpose arena. It's an ice rink that can be adapted. It's a bloody good ice rink. I'm not sure why this concern it's financially vulnerable. The closest like for like venue is Ice Sheffield and that's doing ok.

And it's also down to speed of return. If they have a long strategy then bingo. If they want a rapid return and £ to re invest in the rest of the project. Perhaps a sale to the Devils ownership might be back on the cards :eek: :eek: :eek:

Electro

The concern comes from declining numbers of users of ice rinks around the country and the lack of motivation to build new ones.

That has included rinks that boasted the same ambition as the IAW.

There are risks in any new business, there are no guarantees that Greenbank could make IAW viable or attract other revenue sources.

You need to understand Greenbank exist to regenerate waste land that councils cannot sell to the private sector. They finance internally projects that are commercially unviable or deemed too risky. Investors when approached did not support an ice rink in Cardiff. There was no commercial confidence, nobody was prepared to build an arena of that size.

Chris

Administrator
Thread unlocked.

Please, please can we not let this topic slide into the mess from last night :| If you don't agree with Electro, then a well reasoned reply might go some way to keeping the thread going.

We've got the venue, it's only days until the Devils play their first game in there, I imagine there's going to be all sorts of comments both here, and on twitter from people who've spotted things that aren't 100%.

I don't for one minute think that's a reflection on all the hard work SORAC or anyone else has put in to getting this venue, but it happens all the time and instead of just standing there shouting the posters down, maybe some reasoned answers from people in the know about when the issues are being addressed or fixed might be more helpful?

Electro

If it wasn't for the work SORAC did there wouldn't even be a rink so no criticism from me.

But since we have a new rink, why should we sit back and watch the farce continue too slowly unfold, should we be eternally grateful, like some poor creature given the scrapes of food from the masters leftovers. No the people who we not only voted for but continue to pay their wages, continue to drag this debacle without any accountability.

It's a joke.

Wannabe2

Thread starter #1,866
Electro said:
If it wasn't for the work SORAC did there wouldn't even be a rink so no criticism from me.

But since we have a new rink, why should we sit back and watch the farce continue too slowly unfold, should we be eternally grateful, like some poor creature given the scrapes of food from the masters leftovers. No the people who we not only voted for but continue to pay their wages, continue to drag this debacle without any accountability.

It's a joke.
Interesting point of view.

Dont worry i suspect the andrex puppy is next for the toilet paper shortages.

Seriously i think most fans are ecstatic that our new home is finally here. Maybe i'm being wildly optimistic but i can't help but feel that this ownership group, the coaching staff, the players and vitally the fans will make the iaw a roaring success despite the few who seem determined to rain on everyones parade.

Plus the wife and i are quite excited about the curling :D

Finny

Electro said:

It's a joke.
What has voting got to do with IAW?
What sort of effect do you think whining on a forum will have?

Electro

Probably not.

Do you not realise Wales lags behind other parts of the UK. We have a poor record of allowing poor decision making by our councils and excessively obstructing the private sector growth.

External investment could/would have been found. The WNIR could have been replaced by a venue to rival others in the country, Cardiff could have been instrumental in growing Ice Hockey in the UK. We may have been able to eliminate the issues that have dogged the sport.

Why you think even in the last few months our owners where ignored.

Finny

Electro said:
Probably not.

Do you not realise Wales lags behind other parts of the UK. We have a poor record of allowing poor decision making by our councils and excessively obstructing the private sector growth.

External investment could/would have been found. The WNIR could have been replaced by a venue to rival others in the country, Cardiff could have been instrumental in growing Ice Hockey in the UK. We may have been able to eliminate the issues that have dogged the sport.

Why you think even in the last few months our owners where ignored.
You have very similar views to another former poster on here. It's a shame you weren't able to meet before they got banned.

You said the council still own the land. I thought it was gifted to Greenbank in return for building IAW etc?
You seem to be contradicting yourself in complaining about council interference and then saying the council should get more involved. A cynic would suggest you have a personal problem with the council?

d20

Looking forward to getting in there myself ,its been a long time coming but I would rather have started the new season in there with everything complete and ready.
I heard last night that the devils logo will not be done by the weekend or the scoreboard not finished which looks poor and the devils changing room doesnt even have stalls yet for the players ,bit of a shame as wouldve been nice to have everything done for opening night,not sure if this is correct but im sure with the summer coming everything can be sorted then ready for next year ,this is going to be a great new era for the devils .

matbur

d20 said:
Looking forward to getting in there myself ,its been a long time coming but I would rather have started the new season in there with everything complete and ready.
I heard last night that the devils logo will not be done by the weekend or the scoreboard not finished which looks poor and the devils changing room doesnt even have stalls yet for the players ,bit of a shame as wouldve been nice to have everything done for opening night,not sure if this is correct but im sure with the summer coming everything can be sorted then ready for next year ,this is going to be a great new era for the devils .
So much for a grand opening then...

I'm looking forward to going but the more I read about it, the more farcical it seems.

Slightly off-topic but one thing I'd LOVE to see to help improve the matchday experience would be an organ! Any chance of them doing this? Is there a reason why they don't have one already? They could even cheat and use MP3s if they can't physically get an organ player in. Would be amazing to have one and add to the true hockey experience.

Wannabe2

Thread starter #1,877
Maybe he could rise out of the floor, and then we could watch a film, maybe Slapshot. I have only ever seen one organ in the British league, that was at Panthers old rink, used to love it.

Have Hope#35

Re: Demise of MNL

Electro said:
They built one bar with 2 draught towers for an arena of 3000 seats plus public skaters.

Plans l believe they ignored.
That's if you ignore the fact that their going to put small walk-up bars in the corner of the main ice pad at the top walkway! You can't always let the facts get in the way of your agenda though. And it's not like you can't add draft towers to a bar easily, there's room for more if required ;)