League format

Thread starter #1
Be better if the leagues worked together for the better good of our sport, and have a
2 conference league of 8 teams in each north and south and playing in your own section say 3 home and 3 away = 42 games
And then play say other conference 1 home and 1 away = 16 games this giving you a total league games of 58 then have best of maybe 3 or 5 playoff game with the top 4 in each conference then top 2 in each conference go the playoff weekend
Just a thought but we would need to work together epl eihl for the better of our game
Thought please ??

I was thinking of a very similar format myself however it will always be a case of it turning into a couple of teams running away with the league which is a worry

Thread starter #4
Spearsy said:
I was thinking of a very similar format myself however it will always be a case of it turning into a couple of teams running away with the league which is a worry
No difference from now then
Be good but can't ever see it happening

TheStub

I've been something similar for a while, and would actually give the playoffs some depth and real meaning.

Can't see it happening any time soon. The EPL teams wouldn't want to step up, so we would be left creating new / building up ENL sides in places like Blackburn and Chelmsford.

The series format I like, but the arena sides would struggle with icetime, as they could never guarantee when or even how many games there would be. It would also jeopardise the finals weekend format. Unless you make the conference and then cup finals one off games.

That all said... please please please can we have this format?

Thread starter #6
TheStub said:
I've been something similar for a while, and would actually give the playoffs some depth and real meaning.

Can't see it happening any time soon. The EPL teams wouldn't want to step up, so we would be left creating new / building up ENL sides in places like Blackburn and Chelmsford.

The series format I like, but the arena sides would struggle with icetime, as they could never guarantee when or even how many games there would be. It would also jeopardise the finals weekend format. Unless you make the conference and then cup finals one off games.

That all said... please please please can we have this format?

A wee change is needed as my first post. Even if we stay with present format at least have the playoffs best of 3 or 5 to reach the playoff weekend.

the problem with an extended playoffs is the arena teams struggle to get the ice time and cannot afford to book the arenas for games that they might not need

clanfandoug said:
Be better if the leagues worked together for the better good of our sport, and have a
2 conference league of 8 teams in each north and south and playing in your own section say 3 home and 3 away = 42 games
And then play say other conference 1 home and 1 away = 16 games this giving you a total league games of 58 then have best of maybe 3 or 5 playoff game with the top 4 in each conference then top 2 in each conference go the playoff weekend
Just a thought but we would need to work together epl eihl for the better of our game
Thought please ??
2 conferences would be good aslong as the top teams were split between them, i don't know how that would work if it was North and South as i think ideally you'd want three of Cardiff, Coventry, Belfast, Sheffield, Nottingham and Braehead (the best of the rest) in one leage and the other 3 in the other.

I don't think a playoff series would work though. People moan about midweek games in this country and for a 5 game series you'd be looking at a game every other day, who is fork out money for so many games so close together, and away crowds would probaby be poor apart from if it went to the last game.