League structure next season

Thread starter #1
On last night's webcast, one of the guys mentioned that with MK Lightning joining next season (new team, looking forward to that!) the league's current format of two conferences is being scrapped.

Does anyone know what's being introduced to replace it, if anything even is?

The reason I ask is related to the importance of the play-offs. In my mind, having the conferences detracts (albeit a tiny, tiny, probably insignficant amount) from the league being the main competition - to do away with them without modifying the current format of the playoffs is surely just going to put more importance/prestige/priority on the league title.

Perhaps it's something that's not going to change, what with the UK attitude being what it is. I, probably like many others on here, view the league as the big one, but if only to have the hockey season last longer, I think there is a good argument to extending the playoffs or just doing more to make them more appealing a prize. Easier said than done, though...

Finny

Somebody ( I think it might have been Simms) said that an interesting suggestion had been put forward (by Neil Black?) which might work for 11 teams. But it had to be talked about between all owners first.

I wouldn't rule out 12 teams yet. PI have shown what they can do with Manchester Storm. What they are lacking is a local rival.

They've recently purchased Blackburn (3200 capacity?) and are building a new rink in Leeds with what was left of the BBT. I think they've said they would put a team into the EPL to avoid that being a league with an odd number of teams. It wouldn't surprise me if they entered an EIHL team in either Blackburn or Leeds too.