Learning to Skate

Thread starter #1
Hi Guys,

Need a bit of help/advice.

I can skate, averagely well but want to learn how to skate well enough to play hockey. (Hockey stops and going backwards being next on my list of things to learn)
I know there is the Play the Game session down the ice rink, but dont think im quite ready for that.
So I was looking into the Learn to Skate programmes down the rink but im aprehensvie that they are more figure skating thant teaching me hockey stops etc...? or is it better watching a YouTube video and then just trying it on my own.

There seems to be a male coach down the rink on sundays teach hockey skating.

Any thoughts or ideas, really looking into getting into this heavily?

Cheers in advance.

Jones72

Skating lessons are skating lessons.

To be honest, the skills taught are common for most of the course whether you end up figure skating or paying hockey. Always best to start with a strong foundation in learning the basic skills right, rather than developing bad habits and then building on them.

I started skating in the Learn To Skate programme. If you want to pay for additional private tuition then that's an option too, but don't dismiss formal skating training in a structured programme of that nature, especially if you really are intent on getting into it heavily.

dave

You tube will not help on bit as you will have no guidance when on the ice.
There are skating courses on Weekend Mornings that Planet Ice Run and as Jones72 says will give you the foundation you need first.
Jason Bailey is the Male coach and he does one to ones and is excellent so he can help with the technical hockey side of skating.

Good luck

Thread starter #4
Ok, So best to start with the learn to skate programme and move on to some help from Jason.

How do i get in touch with him? Just @ the rink im guessing.

dave said:
You tube will not help on bit as you will have no guidance when on the ice.
There are skating courses on Weekend Mornings that Planet Ice Run and as Jones72 says will give you the foundation you need first.
Jason Bailey is the Male coach and he does one to ones and is excellent so he can help with the technical hockey side of skating.

Good luck
Its Adam Bailey :)