Ligue Magnus

James

Administrator
Thread starter #1
As our focus is currently on an euro level before we head back to domestic action next week, I was reading an interesting article on the iihf site with one of the Angers players.
https://www.iihf.com/en/events/2023/cce/news/40550/ritz_revels_in_continental_journey
If the two leagues are reaching parity in level do people think there would be any chance of a cross league completion? Maybe bin the CC and have an Anglo-French Cup. Would it be possible with league politics, travel expense etc. A 22 team cup competition with some nice away games and new teams rather than Guildford or Coventry _again_. Thoughts?

BostonBart22

Good idea maybe 4 top teams from eihl and 4 from France in a separate comp from normal league but fitting in would be a problem , could work though if challeng cup was dropped ..the other 6 clubs in eihl could have a separate cup comp between them then. Just a thought.

tim78

Awesome idea, that would make the cup a hell of a lot better.

Though with the CC crowd and the smaller teams it might not be initially attractive but defo could show potential long run.

kettdevil1

Love the idea and wouldn’t like to call who would win it. Travel is an issue but frankly Cardiff to Angers rather than Cardiff to Dundee isn’t too different at all. Not sure about making it just for the Top 4, opening it up to everyone would be my preference

Wannabe2

Good idea maybe 4 top teams from eihl and 4 from France in a separate comp from normal league but fitting in would be a problem , could work though if challeng cup was dropped ..the other 6 clubs in eihl could have a separate cup comp between them then. Just a thought.
Trouble is those smaller clubs have their biggest crowds against Steelers, Devils, Giants, Panthers, plus those teams usually take a good amount of their fans to away games also, That drop in income would probably force a few teams out of this league.

James

Administrator
Thread starter #7
It’s possible. Teams could double header their home and away games to minimise travel and hopefully encourage more away fans to make a weekend of it. 2 games on the road in France one week, 2 home against French teams another. I’m sure it’s not feasible for reasons like you give and other considerations I probably don’t know about but I bet it could be made to work if there was a desire. And let’s face it, although some of my favourite hockey memories revolve around the CC it’s become stale and repetitive. I would be so much more up for this

moggy#9

I like this idea. I think that the other option for the challenge cup would be making it a sort of development competition. I have some thoughts on that and, more that I've been reminded, I'll try to put together a post on the subject.

Samael

Yes. I think this is a fantastic idea. I've always been critical of our participation as a league in the chl as we just cannot compete with the big money clubs from Sweden Germany and Switzerland and to me at least it always seemed like a waste of time and money as we just are not competitive as a nation. I think the formation of a multi country league or cup with European countries that have similar budgets and facilities to the UK will be massive win (brexit aside lol). It beats playing Coventry and Guildford 25 times each before Xmas and those fans who like a euro jolly will be catered for and those that can't travel have some variety in new teams and fans coming here. The ducs fans certainly seem to have been fine ambassadors for their club this weekend which l was pleased to read.

kingmo19.1

Everyone knows the Challenge Cup and it’s World Cup long qualifying campaign is just to generate ££££, but as everyone in the U.K. realises it’s sooooooooo repetitive and boring, therefore needs revamping as much as possible.

Would be great to have maybe 2 divisions comprising of EiHL, French and an NIHL select (North) and NIHL select (South) who can ice the same No of imports.

10 teams in each league (5 EIHL, 1 NIHL Select and 4 French).

Pay each other home and away. Top 2 from each league then playoff for a place in the final.

Samael

Rather than bother with the nihl you could invite Dutch or Danish teams. I'm not sure of the level of the Dutch league these days, but the Danes should be a comparable level.
Norway too. Close for the Scottish teams and Joey M did alright over there.

Devil94

The Tillburg Trappers could be interested in something like that. Must be frustrating from them not to be able to get out of the Oberliga, they have potential to be much better than that.