Lines for the remainder

Thread starter #1
Quite a few have said that the changing lines have disturbed our game from where it was a month or two back so with the players we have available what do people see as the best line combinations for the final stretch of the season (and playoffs)?

I would go with:

Doucet Martin Salters (Hudson, Fournier) Doucet seems to play a lot "bigger" with Salters on his line

Morrisette Russell Kurka (Hendrixk, Batch)

Hervato Lord Haddad (Culligan, Richardson)

Jones and Piggott to be given more regular ice time to give guys a rest (especially with the rest of our games on the big ice now) but not out at the same time

I've rested Hotham in "my team" as I feel he hasn't been at his best lately and a few games off may be what he needs.

Ocko

I think overall they have worked well over the course of the year with whatever we have had out. What tells it's own story is that we are second and have every chance to win the league going into the final two weeks.

However, personally; the lines I'd have prefered are:

Doucet, Martin, Haddad - I think you still need a physical player on that line but I think you get a lot more pure offence and speed with Haddad than Lord and Salters.

Russell, Kurka, Morisette, Culligan (obvsiously only 3 of) - A decent line offensively but with a lot of defensive ability. Match them against the opositions top line and they wont concede many.

Lord, Hervato, Salters - I liked how the Panthers used their big hitters. A proper energy line who can knock several shades of crap out of anyone they play. Swings momentum and tires opposition.

I like lines to have a specific purpose, especially at home you can line match as you wish; look at the NHL - lines 1 and 2 are offence, 3rd is defence and 4th is energy/checking. We could have a hydrid of this; a first with the offensive talent, a second with some offensive talent but with a real ability to play solid defensively and a third proper checking line. I feel as though we've tried to make our lines a bit too perfect and a bit all the same, give them some identity and players will understand their roles more.

Milky

Ocko said:
I think overall they have worked well over the course of the year with whatever we have had out. What tells it's own story is that we are second and have every chance to win the league going into the final two weeks.

However, personally; the lines I'd have prefered are:

Doucet, Martin, Haddad - I think you still need a physical player on that line but I think you get a lot more pure offence and speed with Haddad than Lord and Salters.

Russell, Kurka, Morisette, Culligan (obvsiously only 3 of) - A decent line offensively but with a lot of defensive ability. Match them against the opositions top line and they wont concede many.

Lord, Hervato, Salters - I liked how the Panthers used their big hitters. A proper energy line who can knock several shades of crap out of anyone they play. Swings momentum and tires opposition.

I like lines to have a specific purpose, especially at home you can line match as you wish; look at the NHL - lines 1 and 2 are offence, 3rd is defence and 4th is energy/checking. We could have a hydrid of this; a first with the offensive talent, a second with some offensive talent but with a real ability to play solid defensively and a third proper checking line. I feel as though we've tried to make our lines a bit too perfect and a bit all the same, give them some identity and players will understand their roles more.
+1

To be fair thats a really well thought out and explained post. I'd agree with all of that though for me I'd rest Mo ahead of Culligan. Really tough call though.

What do you think on the D side of things?

For me Hudson has disappointed a lot this season and Hothams form has dropped considerably from the stellar heights they were up until around mid January.

august04

Martin Salters Doucet
Lord Haddad Culligan
Morrissette Kurka Russell

Batch Hendrickx
Hudson Fournier
Richardson Hotham

Temme

august04 said:
Temme said:
august04 said:
Martin Salters Doucet
Lord Haddad Culligan
Morrissette Kurka Russell

Batch Hendrickx
Hudson Fournier
Richardson Hotham
There's no way we'd rest Hervato!
Well we did a few weeks ago!
When was this?? :shock:

The only game I recall him missing was Nottingham away Friday just gone - due to sickness!

In all honesty, picking which player to rest when all are healthy is an near impossible decision in this team.

Kal

I may be wrong but were Batch and Hendrikx playing with Fournier and Culligan on Sunday? I quite like the idea of a big stay at home D with a speedy slightly more attack minded D

That said I have also thought Hendo and Batch have been our most dependable pairing defensively recently.

Lord mentioned in the interview he had a word with bowns after the 6-1 defeat to panthers past week!!
Bowns answered him amazing on Sunday.

Why don't he question himself morrisette and a few others as they haven't performed this season. Imo morrisette got to leave he had a good few years but we can get better!

also salters has been poor quite a lot this season :(

august04

I'm sure there was a home game when he was rested since Russell came in. Anyway, who cares, it's my lines selection for the remainder, don't need an inquest!

Have Hope#35

august04 said:
I'm sure there was a home game when he was rested since Russell came in. Anyway, who cares, it's my lines selection for the remainder, don't need an inquest!
He has only missed the one game... And that was Friday due to Sickness! You're entitled to your opinion, no one has said you aren't but i'm with the others... We won't be dropping our hardest working player!

jimmy snels

Doucet salters martin
Kurka haddad russell
Hervarto lord culligan

I'd leave out morrisette as well. Going forward we need to think about our recruitment and pick players for roles IMO. Lots of our players play a similar role naturally.

backrow

Kal, in Sunday's CC game, Hendrix and Fournier played together and Batch and Culligan were paired up. Friday night Hendrix and Batch were partners.

As a point of interest, in the last 12 games going back to the 7-6 win over Dundee, Hendrix was a scratch in 6 games and Culligan 2 games. They both dressed in 4 games; 3 when Culligan played forward and in the CC game.

In the 7 games Batch and Culligan played together they were only on for 1 goal against in the Fife game. Batch was on for one other goal during a penalty kill in those games. They didn't play as much as the other pairing but they certainly were effective. In those 7 games the Devils gave up a total of 12 goals.

Personally, I would love to see the plus / minus statistics for the Devils. I know the EIHL doesn't keep the plus / minus numbers but I'm pretty sure individual teams do.