Man, I wish he'd stayed...

Paul Sullivan

Thread starter #1
The antithesis of the 'worst player' thread - who is the Devils player who was here just for a fleeting time that you wish had become a staple on our roster?

We have the obvious candidates (Ulmer, Brigley) but outside of them, who is the guy you wish had played more than a few games or more than one season for us?

I have three:

Jim Brown (2002-3 season) One of the most skilful, likeable and 'hockey' players I've ever met, and I think could have been so influential. Think Brent Walton before Brent Walton.

Alan Schüler. The most flawless D-man I think I've ever seen, though Richie runs him close. Amazing, calming influence on our team.

Steve Cadieux. Another obvious one, and the most famous for us greybeards. From his ridiculous debut, to his love and passion for the game and our fans, to just the way he played the game. The man was built to be a Devil.

Now all I have to do is wait for JD to approach me on the gantry on Saturday and say the famous words 'Rick Brebant'. :D

So - who's yours?

wildthing74

Dougie Smail. We had him on his last legs and 2 short spells but for an old dude he was still one of the fastest and most graceful skaters I think we ever had.

Another top guy who's faith meant the world to him and how I would have liked to have seen him for at least a season.

Modern times Biz was just a joy to have on the team and I still can't believe we pulled that one off considering who was running the club.The place was buzzing the whole time he was here and it was a special and fun few weeks.

With you on Cadieux too.

Diafol

Great shout on Derek Campbell Wannabe.

Weller and Biz are obvious choices so I'm going for:

Jon Cullen
Jon Pelle

And I'd have liked to see Dan La Costa in goal for at least a full season.

ASHIPP

Dennis Chasse - a player who had been brilliant for his previous team and just starting to fulfill that potential at the Devils....only to have a career-ending back injury.

Ocko

Travis Brigley. That guy was something else. Isn't he the only player to make the NHL after playing for us? The standard was unbelievably high in the ISL but he still was a complete stand out.

Jeff Ulmer. Might've been past it at Braehead but when he was with us he was a points machine.

Ian McIntyre what a player he was haven't seen a better devil for hitting just pure class.John parco another real good clever forward and I think is name was zima who was quality in a short base of time we had him.

wildthing74

Lindman is a great shout. I think I was being too literal in choosing guys that only spent a few games here and not full season or seasons like some who were mentioned. If it was guys who spent a year or more I would probably be stumped as would have a huge list :)

Rick Brebant (I am very predictable).

Martin Lindman

Steve Moria (when he left for Blackburn at the end of 91/92...just when I thought the classic McEwen - Moria - Cooper line was getting back together).

Ian Cooper

Stephen Cooper

Derry Menard (left field shout)

Brian Dickson R.I.P. (really underrated 2nd line responsible forward in great Heineken days).

Derek King

Ken Hodge

Steve Thornton

Jon Cullen

Dave Matsos

Dion Darling

John Pelle

Scott Matzka

Craig Weller

Ryan Finnerty (the superb player...not in a coaching capacity!)

Chris Culligan

John Lawless

Sorry...last thought...I might throw Randy Smith in there too. After a slow start in 95/96 he turned into a goal scoring machine from November onwards. Then the career ending back injury struck before the first Superleague season.

Wannabe2

Dennis Chasse - a player who had been brilliant for his previous team and just starting to fulfill that potential at the Devils....only to have a career-ending back injury.
Chasse was pure class mate, my wife's favourite, this man had it all, and was a joy to watch. Also Nicky Chinn should never had been allowed to leave. Jeff Burgoyne was class.

trapped

Some great ones mentioned already, including the ones I would have picked. Mark Smith - Forward, Scott Matzka, Tylor Michel, Jon Cullen, Jon Pelle, Biz, Weller, Burgy, Blighter and Mac Faulkner

E.D.S.

Rick Brebant. Whilst Dougie Mc for me is the greatest player I’ve ever seen play on these shores. Rick was a great two way player. He had everything. Scored for fun, feisty and could defend. Allegedly not great in the dressing room but I’m not in there so I don’t care. Awesome player.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk