Matt Burge Interview

Finny

Thread starter #1
Is now on the main website HERE

More positive news, and perhaps we will have some more signings news this coming week.

It will be good to have a proper website for buying Devils merchandise, and I can't wait to watch DevilsTV regularly!

It will be interesting to see how the team adapt to the new expectation of winning trophies.

Being a Chelsea fan, I remember when Roman came in. He gave the team one season to settle in and after that he demanded a league championship in return for his large investment. I imagine that Mr Burge will be looking for a similar return after using his money to cherry-pick 2 of the best British players in the league. It is like the Cardiff Chequebooks all over again :roll:

ASHIPP

J.B said:
It will be interesting to see how the team adapt to the new expectation of winning trophies.

Being a Chelsea fan, I remember when Roman came in. He gave the team one season to settle in and after that he demanded a league championship in return for his large investment. I imagine that Mr Burge will be looking for a similar return after using his money to cherry-pick 2 of the best British players in the league. It is like the Cardiff Chequebooks all over again :roll:
J.B. - this is not strictly true. Belfast allegedly made Stevie Lyle a very offer to keep him.Stevie had been part of a very good, cup winning team.
I doubt that Corey Neilson would have let Mark Richardson go without a fight, particularly as Mark himself said how much he had developed as a player at the Panthers. Both these players have intimated that personal reasons as much as salary helped the decision making process to join the Devils (in Lyle's case, perhaps the practicalities of having a permenant home in Cardiff but playing for Belfast. In Richardson's case, being nearer his family in Swindon)
It's not always all about money, J.B. ......and very rich coming from a fan of a club who have just signed Hirsch and probably Chambers! Remember, 'he who casts the first chequbook.....'! :lol:

Finny said:
Is now on the main website HERE

More positive news, and perhaps we will have some more signings news this coming week.

It will be good to have a proper website for buying Devils merchandise, and I can't wait to watch DevilsTV regularly!
Very very positive, Devils Tv will be cracking to have and will be cool to have that up and running :)

Well that was a good read :)

O/T
I don't know if it's just me, but whenever I read a post from J.B, 99% of the time it either slags of the devils or gloats about how good the blaze are.
This is usually written in a subtle way but it annoys me never the less.
I was just wondering if I was the only one?

Koop11

He's scared, that's all.

Back on topic, the new Devils webiste/Devils TV sounds amazing. I'm really looking forward to seeing it up and running.

ASHIPP

scottydoesntknow said:

O/T
I don't know if it's just me, but whenever I read a post from J.B, 99% of the time it either slags of the devils or gloats about how good the blaze are.
Yeah, Moderators why is J.B. allowed to post on this forum? (Don't mind him looking, but he's not a Devils' fan and therefore his opinion is meaningless. :lol:)

Gazza272

J.B said:

Unlike Abramovich though Burge knows his sport and knows what the reailstic goals are, i cant see him demanding trophies. As you can see from the Q&A its all about the business first, the success will hopefully come later once we have the foundations in place. Much Like the Blaze did over a number of years.

as for the money to get richardson and lyle in. You do have to remember that we have an extra 1000 pound to spend now the higher and lower wage caps have been done away with.

Finny

Thread starter #10
scottydoesntknow said:

O/T
Disagree. It's not even remotely subtle.

Unless J.B. breaks any guidelines they can stay as our little forum pet. Although they will probably go away again once the season resumes and the Blaze once again fail to live up to their hype.

I'd like to think that Matt Burge will give the team time to settle before demandind titles to be won. When the Blaze moved to Coventry they threw loads of money at Thommo to build a winning team. And got nothing back. So the season after they threw even more money at it. And again got nothing back. So for the third year they threw even more money at the team and finally got lucky.
And then of course when they moved to the EIHL the process started all over again.

I agree with you Finny, just I thought I'd try to die my post down abit so that it wouldn't look like I'm out and out b****ing (sorry couldnt think of a better word) about him/her.
But now it's out there I don't half feel alot better... it really bugs me logging on here all the time to fing completely meaningless posts only in place to have a dig at the devlis in some way or another. It seems as though J.B is looking for an arguement all the time, I'm suprised it hasn't been addressed by another member of the forum to be honest. I also want to make it clear that I do not want to start a feud but I think that J.B should THINK before posting.

Anyway enough of this... back to the real topic...

Chris

Administrator
scottydoesntknow said:

O/T
And...
ASHIPP said:
Yeah, Moderators why is J.B. allowed to post on this forum? (Don't mind him looking, but he's not a Devils' fan and therefore his opinion is meaningless. :lol:)
You're not the only one to have noticed it, he's been warned already but we're not steeltalk so we won't be banning opposing fans from posting just yet, we'll see if he keeps coming over here to try and get a rise out of our posters though :)

Chris.

Sliput said:
He does it on purpose and you all react to him........just ignore the posts ,he'll soon get bored. :geek:
exactly dont let one person get to you just ignore them, It does get a little anoying but i for one am more interesting for where MY club is going and where the new owners are taking the Devils,

We have a lot to look forward to all ready and the Devils Tv will be awsome,

Everything at this moment in time everything is going well for the Devils

Pleximan

Our little friend from Coventry is probably about 14yrs old! School tomorrow to learn things about the grown ups world.

I like the interview from Matt Burge, I love the sound of the DevilsTV website very much. The Devils organisation has transformed since Mr.Burge's arrival into a very professional and slick hockey club. Light years away from the begging bowl culture we had to endure under the previous owner.

This big 4 stuff really annoys me though! Why is it assumed that Sheffield, Nottingham, Coventry and Belfast will be the 'Big 4' next season? Surely it is down to the organisation as a whole and how the team is put together with the right balance of skill and muscle. The Devils this season just finished missed 1 key component - a genuine goalscorer of a top line center. With one, the Devils may well have won the league.

Pleximan said:
This big 4 stuff really annoys me though! Why is it assumed that Sheffield, Nottingham, Coventry and Belfast will be the 'Big 4' next season? Surely it is down to the organisation as a whole and how the team is put together with the right balance of skill and muscle. The Devils this season just finished missed 1 key component - a genuine goalscorer of a top line center. With one, the Devils may well have won the league.
Isn't that what I just said ? :roll: You have had big investment in the team to try and buy the league so now there is more pressure to stop the talking about how you are still a big team and do the business on the ice ?

As Finny correctly pointed out, 2nd season in the EIHL for the Blaze when it was still the "big 3" and we shocked everyone to win the grand slam. I don't see why the Devils can't do the same, in particular with the money Mr Burge is throwing at the team.

Pleximan said:
Our little friend from Coventry is probably about 14yrs old! School tomorrow to learn things about the grown ups world.

I like the interview from Matt Burge, I love the sound of the DevilsTV website very much. The Devils organisation has transformed since Mr.Burge's arrival into a very professional and slick hockey club. Light years away from the begging bowl culture we had to endure under the previous owner.

When you look at the Premier league, everyone asumes it will be Man united, Chelsea, Liverpool and Arsenal, but now Aston Villa are making it to be a top 5, they have done remarkable this season as have everton, so in theory we are the Aston Villa, breaking into the top 4 which will probably come a Top 5, if you look back at pervious years though it has mainly been those 4 teams, thats why it is so easy to asume,

i definatly think the Devils will make the Top 4 this year providing injuries dont become a factor, i know we still have some crucial signings to make but with the depth we will have, we will have a strong strong team, Just that goal scorer is what we were missing like posted above and i believe G will get someone who can put the puck in the net for next season, unless he will do it himself ;) :p

J.B said:
Isn't that what I just said ? :roll: You have had big investment in the team to try and buy the league so now there is more pressure to stop the talking about how you are still a big team and do the business on the ice ?

As Finny correctly pointed out, 2nd season in the EIHL for the Blaze when it was still the "big 3" and we shocked everyone to win the grand slam. I don't see why the Devils can't do the same, in particular with the money Mr Burge is throwing at the team.
But that is where your argument is fatally flawed J.B. Matt Burge is not throwing money at the team, the additional funds relate to the £1000 we spent below the "big 4" last season, which should put us on a more level playing field.
If anything the Blaze look as if they will try to buy the league judging by their 1st signing and the one of Chambers that is rumoured.

Gazza272

J.B said:
Pleximan said:

You've totally mis understood the whole Matt Burge thing JB.

Firstly he isnt trying to buy the league, out of his own personal fortune with all the respect in the world to some of our players already signed, but we would have signed better. I'm talking a team full of teplitsky's and Mark Smiths.

However he isnt here to be a sugar daddy, he has said from day 1 his mission was to make the Devils a sustainable business, now i'm not stupid enoguh to suggest that he isnt using his own money to keep us floating and more than competitive. But buying the league makes it sound like your clutching at straws and trying to make out that we are as a team and as a franchise failing more than we are.

we can more than finish in the top 4 with the coach and the organisation we have imo. but i keep bringing folk back to the 3 year plan. We are barely into year 2 of that yet. at the end of those 3 years we will see where we are.

Until then i'm just happy with the progress that we are making.

I think the most important point of the interview is the talks with "some real 'strikers" being finalised' this is what we were all hoping for but hadn't really had confirmation of that was whats to come from the devils. So by the looks of things we are going to have a fantastic team this year.
That along with the devils TV and merchandise site we are some very lucky fans at the moment.