Matt Burge

Well Matt says it won't affect the club and we'll have to take his word for it, but surely it can't help us at all? Matt has done wonders for this club, wish you all the luck in what must be a horrible time.

gutted by this. Shannon Hope says we will just push on. I thought that was because Matt was pushing you.

Any way where does this leave the Devils. Who is now the chairman?

James

Administrator
The way I read it Matt has stood down due to a legal obligation. Doesn't mean anything has to change in a practical sense though. If (or when) Matt succedes in getting it all annuled then he will no doubt step back in. Don't know anything about the legalities of it, but surely thats how it would work ?

Koop11

Oh dear. This is a worrying read to say the least and certainly unexpected. Whatever the outcome, this will inevitably jeopardise the club’s future plans of a permanent home and are I say our secure future.

Koop11 said:
Whatever the outcome, this will inevitably jeopardise the club’s future plans of a permanent home and are I say our secure future.
Why inevitably?

Personal tax issues don't affect businesses / organisations. Matt's made a statement and expects it to be resolved either by annulment, reduction or clearing it completely. It's not really catastrophic, and not a reason to think the sky is falling.

ASHIPP

This is sad news for Matt and I hope he is able to resolve these issues as quickly and painlessly for himself as possible. He has always been a straight-talking man of principle and whilst it's understandable for us fans to feel anxious about the effect on the Club, we have to have some faith in what he and Shannon say - they have never let the Club down.

Koop11

BrokenAngel said:
Koop11 said:
Whatever the outcome, this will inevitably jeopardise the club’s future plans of a permanent home and are I say our secure future.
Why inevitably?

Personal tax issues don't affect businesses / organisations. Matt's made a statement and expects it to be resolved either by annulment, reduction or clearing it completely. It's not really catastrophic, and not a reason to think the sky is falling.
This news doesn’t look good, whether Matt has his personal tax issues resolved or not. I cannot see the council providing valuable land at the sight of the ISV to someone who is looking to build a rink who is reportedly bankrupt. I would also imagine investors would now think twice in part funding a project coordinated by someone who, again, is reportedly bankrupt.

I believe the permanent home is the key to future stability and I feel that this news jeopardises that proposal. I’m not suggesting that it won’t happen but today’s news is not going to help matters that’s for sure.

Matt has built an empire and has proved to be a very successful businessman here in South Wales. I’m sure he will resolve his personal tax issues as soon as possible. He has invested a lot into this club and I do not think for one minute that he will let anything bad happen to us which will leave us in a compromising position. I have every faith in him that he will ensure this club is fighting fit.

Wannabe2

Matt and Fleure Burge took over this club when it was floundering, and turned it around big time, in all aspects and we have all seen the benefits to the club we all love. Matt is obviously going through a blip in his life, a blip that most most of us have experienced at some time or ever, be it financial, emotional or whatever, but there are guarantees that this blip will not affect the Devils, when things like this occur then this is the time that we all stick together, we have a bit of a reputation for being tough, when the going gets tough, and that Devils solidarity will again see us through. Mr Burge was there when we needed him, and i like to think we will be there for him, as loyalty should always be a two way thing. As for our new home, then i am sure there are plans in the background still going on to bring this to fruition. We as punters do not need to know the ins and outs of everything that happens in this business, and as long as our great club continues to have a future, and that appears to be the case then we go on as usual, this is the time to show the whole of the UK what a Devils fan is made of, and may that long continue. Matt i am sure will do everything in his power to look after the clubs future, and thats all we can ask for, in the meantime we have a lot of hockey to still play, so bring um on.

after speaking to the girlfriend who is in accounting i dont think there is to much to worry about, she seems to think that it is most likely the bankruptcy will be overturned and if so i cant really see that having an affect on sponsorship/new arena.

rolf

koop has posted that he feels it unlikely the council will entertain the construction of our permanent rink with matt's involvement.......etc

well for a lad who normally posts very reasonably and has my absolute respect as a result, he has done a bit of a chicken licken acorn on head job here. I seem to recall rodders berman was happy enough to jump into bed with peter ridsdale to build the new blue tits stadium wasn't he?

and it's probably not unfair to say that as a business man he would make me check my change and the listed price (at least twice) of even a mere programme if he personally sold it to me.............so we may not yet be up pooh creek with no paddle.

Finny

£305,000?
Pfttttt. That's nothing compared to the problems down the city. £305,000 would barely buy Ridsdale a fishtank.

When we discover the club owes 10 times that to HMRC - then I'll get worried.

Finny said:
£305,000?
Pfttttt. That's nothing compared to the problems down the city. £305,000 would barely buy Ridsdale a fishtank.

To have a personal tax bill that size he must have been earning some serious wedge, If he manages to get his lossses off set against it he may even get a rebate, which is probably what HMRC are worried about, that tells me more about the state of this countries' financial position than Matts

Bearing in mind that this country now takes 50%!! of your earnings at the higher end.
Is it any wonder that a lot of Major money making institutions are relocating to Switzerland where the taxation system is a lot better.

jodysstillagirlsname said:
Finny said:
£305,000?

To have a personal tax bill that size he must have been earning some serious wedge, If he manages to get his lossses off set against it he may even get a rebate, which is probably what HMRC are worried about, that tells me more about the state of this countries' financial position than Matts
You're spot on there, I speak from current personal experience when I say that HMRC are at the moment re-opening and examining a lot of previous year's tax returns to check whether there is anything further they can try to extort.

Reading Matt's words my guess is this is nothing more than an overzealous reaction to a dispute around what is and isn't payable, and not something that causes me concern as far as the Devils are concerned. I just hope for his sake it gets sorted asap!