Matt Burge

TheStub

This sounds like HMRC strong arming to try and force him to pay the bill, and I wouldn't be surprised if he will come out of this OK. You would guess that he would have the money set aside to pay taxes, and that this is all about getting the best settlement he can.

But it does raise an interesting point - why is bankruptcy such a bad thing? It is a system to help people take risks, form companies with a safety net beneath them.

In this country people are so scared of it, and see it with such negativity, that it discourages entrepreneurs. Those are the people that generate the real growth and productivity in an economy in this modern age, and why this country is sinking.

Koop11

rolf said:
koop has posted that he feels it unlikely the council will entertain the construction of our permanent rink with matt's involvement.......etc

well for a lad who normally posts very reasonably and has my absolute respect as a result, he has done a bit of a chicken licken acorn on head job here. I seem to recall rodders berman was happy enough to jump into bed with peter ridsdale to build the new blue tits stadium wasn't he?

and it's probably not unfair to say that as a business man he would make me check my change and the listed price (at least twice) of even a mere programme if he personally sold it to me.............so we may not yet be up pooh creek with no paddle.
Rolfy Boy! Chicken licking good my friend.

I'm confident Matt will be fine in all this and will ensure that we're ok as a club. I'm just suggesting that a page 3 spread in the local rag will ring alarm bells for the investment in a new permanent home and may well risk the project or certainly the time it will take to get going. How every confident he or others may be, today's report is not good to read.

The council have backed SWALEC Stadium despite Glamorgan Cricket being poor side with low attendances(although there was the Ashes to consider). They've backed the City Stadium despite ropey finances (although the priority was to get Sam Hamman out of town and reduce the debt which they did, or it seemed until recently). Let’s hope the Council still back the proposal to build a purpose build rink for the Devils.

Ger-Devils

I think everything will be fine. It's Burge's personal thing, not his companies. Yes he's sold off COMMS Direct so where is the money he made off that gone? Businessmen know what they're doing unless your Ridsdale!

Gazza272

Ger-Devils said:
I think everything will be fine. It's Burge's personal thing, not his companies. Yes he's sold off COMMS Direct so where is the money he made off that gone? Businessmen know what they're doing unless your Ridsdale!

He didnt sell Comms direct did he?

Doesnt one of the articles say it went into administration?

Ger-Devils

Gazza272 said:
Ger-Devils said:

Well sold off to another firm for less no doubt but still went for a bit I would imagine. I don't know the inns and outs but as I've said and others have, he will be fine. If Berman will do business with Ridsdale, then I'm sure they will with Burge! Give him some freebies down the rink and job done!

Gazza272

Ger-Devils said:
Gazza272 said:
Ger-Devils said:

Well sold off to another firm for less no doubt but still went for a bit I would imagine. I don't know the inns and outs but as I've said and others have, he will be fine. If Berman will do business with Ridsdale, then I'm sure they will with Burge! Give him some freebies down the rink and job done!

Cheers Ger, can never understand all this business lark :lol:

matt has done wonders for the club but not without the backing and help of everyone involved and im sure they will be working hard to maintain and carry the club to where they proposed it would be.. we all need to have faith and trust and we for one as season ticket holders are fully behind them all the way.

good luck to Matt and all his family... im sure matt has more to loose than us fans..

take care.