Matt Elich - New signing...

Looks a decent enough player. To get a call up to the NHL at 20 in your first pro year must have been a thrill but since has seemed to have struggled to make an impact anywhere. I wouldn't want to make a comparision but similar to Scott Kelman in many ways ;)

Looks a steady signing who will no doubt add to our team as you don't play in the show unless you have something about your game......Millette the exception obviously! ;)

Perhaps the second half of this post could do with a thread of its own.

Seeing as there is one place left for our 11th import with Campbell and Fulton battling for fitness, would we be better off with G playing for the rest of the season and these two taking care of bench duties?

It is still only a chance that they will return to fitness anyway and their muscle strength around the injury may see them struggling a bit and lacking confidence. A run the in the team would see a fit and nasty G in form in time for the playoffs. Would there be an ITC problem in this as we have used all of ours?

Jarvis I think is doing well as a winger and can only get better, so G could revert to D for a few shifts maybe?

Nielson seems to be managing both duties this year and next, as is Wilson, Hand, Braff and Christiansen and I really think we've missed G's gritty style. The league is over and we just want as many options as possible for the playoffs and have the strongest side we can......just a thought!

steve

Thread starter #5
If G wasn't prepared to put the skates on when we were really short, i don't see him doing so now. To be honest i think we'll be playing out the rest of the year without Derek or Marc - why would you say its a competition for fitness when we know DC is likely to be out for months yet?, yet again the extent of an injury (Marc's) has been wholly underestimated publically it would seem.

I don't see Mr Elich being the goal-a-game guy we need but he's a very welcome addition!

I agree that the "race for fitness" line adopted is a bit of spin maybe as deep down I'd be really surprised to see either play for the Devils again this year unfortunately. As we need as many bodies registered and icing as possbile, then surely this makes sense? Even if he's registered purely for injury cover and dresses when needed?

Edited for typo! Sorry!

it doesn't sound like a contract has been signed but it seems its pretty much a done deal, IMO it looks like an excellent signing, i think he's probably going to be a lot better than his stats suggest. We'll just have to wait and see, pretty excited about him coming in though :D

ASHIPP

This is very welcome news and top nod to whoever had Matt Elich on the radar in the other thread about Derek Campbell! Excited to see him play and hopefully will ease the shifts some of the guys are playing at the mo. :D

It does seem a bit odd about the fitness challenge that Derek and Marc have accepted especially as it implied in the press last week that Derek was going home soon. :?
But... if it helps their wellbeing and galvanises them to fitness, it will have served its purpose.

Realistically, will either of them play again this season....would be great if it happened.

Gazza272

devilsice said:
Jarvis I think is doing well as a winger and can only get better, so G could revert to D for a few shifts maybe?
!

While Jarvis has been shifting as a forward on a few of our powerplays i would never class him as being an out and out winger for us!

I think this signing will turn out to be a good one for us. The comparison to Kelman is foolish as Kelman was a first round draft pick and never saw any ice time Matt Elich was a third round pick and although it was only 16 games he got there on being a decent player as opposed to a knuckle dragger.

He's shown glimpses in his career of being a good goalscorer his last OHL season in particular he threw them in for fun it seems so i wouldnt really write him off as a non goalscorer in the EIEIO just yet.

The biggest thing for me in this signing is, can he get the best out of silverthorn? if he can then its a very very shrewed signing imo.

just looking at his stats in the IHL
it seems they are better this year than when he got called up to "The Show" in 99
although was the league of a higher standard back then or something?

Gazza272

Encouragingly Elich scored more goals in the Norwegian league season, than Mark Smith did when he was in that league.

Let's hope thats a sign of things to come :D

More comprehensive stats of Elich can be found <<HERE>>

Chris

Administrator
Good news.

Just need everyone to bring some lucky charms for the first set of games and hope he doesn't get injured...:roll:

Chris.