Matt Towe Signs for...

danhall76

Thread starter #4
It would be nice to think so. It does say in the article that Towe took less money to go to Belfast as there were other offers on the table. Did he turn us down? and if he did does that mean that Hill could still go to Belfast?

James

Administrator
Towe went to the EPL for a heafty whack apparently (someone said at the time it was almost double the paycheck at Cardiff) so it's understandable he'd be on less, even if it is Belfast.

Finny

danhall76 said:
It does say in the article that Towe took less money to go to Belfast as there were other offers on the table. Did he turn us down? and if he did does that mean that Hill could still go to Belfast?
My guess is that Guildford offered him a lot of money to stay. Their budget is bigger than some EIHL teams.
If true, then fair play to Towe for taking a pay cut to try the EIHL again.

Matt is a good forward who has accomplished a great deal even though he is still relatively young. He has been a big part of our achievements in the past couple of seasons and it is no surprise that there is a lot of competition for his service.(from Guilford Coach)

Its obvious there were no Brits of the same standard as Dowd so replacing him was always going to be hard, seems like we've gone for Phillips and Towe 2:1

If Murphy,Garside and Hutchinson re-sign I think we have a strong or maybe stronger pack of brit players than last year

voth26

Finny said:
Hopefully a sign that Hill is not signing for them?
Hilly could still sign for the giants even though towe has signed!!!, if i'm honest i'm not confident of hilly resigning for us, especially when he sees the likes of towe signing for the giants but who knows really hope he does sign though

Finny

voth26 said:
Finny said:
..especially when he sees the likes of towe signing for the giants..
:shock:

I've now got this imageof Phil jumping out of bed after hearing the news of Towe signing for Belfast, desperate to join him!

Thread starter #10
Finny said:
voth26 said:
Finny said:
..especially when he sees the likes of towe signing for the giants..
:shock:

I've now got this imageof Phil jumping out of bed after hearing the news of Towe signing for Belfast, desperate to join him!
I was thinking that :lol: I don't think Towe going there would influence his decision in the slightest, probably more the money and a realistic chance at a league title...

ASHIPP

Good luck to Matt at Belfast. He is a fast skater who has produced in key games before - should fit in well with their style.
I am hoping that the fact that he has signed might just indicate that the Giants have not (yet) managed to attract another British Elite League player to their club? :?
Of course, neither Phil or Mathew Myers have been announced as confirmed signings by their current teams yet. :?

As for EPL players G was in discussions with, let's hope it's Aaron Nell, Alex Symonds or Joe Miller. Would hate to think the Devils were persuing Towe....and lost out. :shock:

Thread starter #12
ASHIPP said:
As for EPL players G was in discussions with, let's hope it's Aaron Nell, Alex Symonds or Joe Miller.
I'd like to see Joe Greener get a shot in the Elite League this year as well. He's left Slough but no confirmation of him signing anywhere yet. Wouldn't be too long a trip from Slough to Cardiff...

Gazza272

ASHIPP said:
Good luck to Matt at Belfast. He is a fast skater who has produced in key games before - should fit in well with their style.
I am hoping that the fact that he has signed might just indicate that the Giants have not (yet) managed to attract another British Elite League player to their club? :?
Of course, neither Phil or Mathew Myers have been announced as confirmed signings by their current teams yet. :?

As for EPL players G was in discussions with, let's hope it's Aaron Nell, Alex Symonds or Joe Miller. Would hate to think the Devils were persuing Towe....and lost out. :shock:

Miller got terrible reviews from some EPL fans I spoke to last year, I think his ship has sailed unfortunately. Also Myers has been confirmed as back to Nottingham.

James

Administrator
ASHIPP said:
Wasn't Matt confirmed as signed with the Panties the other day. He's on year 2 of a contract.

edited to add
Already signed up for next season are British players: Josh Ward, David Clarke, Robert Lachowicz, Matthew Myers, Jonathon Weaver, Steve Lee, Tom Norton, and negotiations with a couple more are continuing.
http://panthers.co.uk/modules/News/SEFS ... wsItem.asp

danhall76 said:
ASHIPP said:
As for EPL players G was in discussions with, let's hope it's Aaron Nell, Alex Symonds or Joe Miller.
I'd like to see Joe Greener get a shot in the Elite League this year as well. He's left Slough but no confirmation of him signing anywhere yet. Wouldn't be too long a trip from Slough to Cardiff...
Think you are unlucky there, Joe Greener is better and tougher than most brit forwards in the elite, but he has signed for the Bison, announced alongside Stevie Lyle and Joe Miller!
I think perhaps EPL's budget, might be higher than ours!

voth26 said:
Finny said:
Hilly could still sign for the giants even though towe has signed!!!, if i'm honest i'm not confident of hilly resigning for us, especially when he sees the likes of towe signing for the giants but who knows really hope he does sign though
But in the press release Christianson says he wants players who "skate well". He wants to play aggressively in all three zones so needs players with "speed".

On both accounts that should rule out seeing Hill in a Giants line-up next year!

ASHIPP

Now I'm intrigued to know which EPL player the Devils are in discussion with! 3 out of 3 out of 5 possibilities have already signed for other teams - Towe, Greener, Miller.

Perhaps the Devils are talking to Alex Symmonds or Aaron Nell. Hope so - would be good additions to our roster. Can they be persuaded away from EPL?

kettdevil1

ASHIPP said:
Now I'm intrigued to know which EPL player the Devils are in discussion with! 3 out of 3 out of 5 possibilities have already signed for other teams - Towe, Greener, Miller.

Perhaps the Devils are talking to Alex Symmonds or Aaron Nell. Hope so - would be good additions to our roster. Can they be persuaded away from EPL?
I just assummed it was Nell, he has EIHL experience, is one of the best unsigned EPL players and he lives about an hour away....

I know others disagree but for me Symmo would be a backward step.

Pleximan

I just don't get it with Towe, I just cannot see what all the fuss is about. When Matt Towe played for the Devils he was a very average Brit player at best. There seemed to be plenty of effort but no real end product, no matter what he did, you knew he would never score and I think he was very fortunate the amount of time that Gerad afforded him before finally releasing him.

As a Devil, he scored something like 20pts a season for us for about 3 seasons I believe. That's hardly prolific and indeed to my eyes he was very disappointing. If he had re-signed for the Devils(hardly), then I would have been so disappointed. He had his chance and he didn't take it, he's one of those players that skates around the ice but without any end product, a sort of Robert Millette if you will.

Now he has signed for Belfast and the theme of this thread is seemingly that he is a very good Brit and that we missed out on him. I just don't get it!
Quite frankly I am delighted that Belfast have signed him, as he definitely represents a come down from their standards to my mind.

He is a very average player at Elite level and I would rate him just a little bit higher than Joe Myers in terms of what they can offer and I think a traffic cone would have a better career save % than Myers.

Wannabe2

Congrats on a pretty nasty post mate, firstly Towey was with us a few seasons ago as a young lad, and has probably improved as most young people do, and to compare him to the worst player we ever signed in downright rude. Secondly your opinions on Joe is unbelievable and again rude to the extreem, Joe has a very difficult job not getting much ice time, and then expecting to be top dog.