Matthew Myers back to Panthers

kettdevil1 said:
Big loss, but not an insurmountable one. What I liked about Matthew is the fact that he would stand in front of the NM and take a vast amount of punishment for the team. We have been lacking that in recent years and that is one aspect that needs to be replaced. The other loss is his ability at face offs. Only Markuu was better last year and if both move on, we need some help in that area.
Agree with most of what you say apart from your last sentence. Markku started off great at winning face-offs but in the last few games sorry he wasn't a patch on the ability of Matthew in that area.

ASHIPP

There is no doubt that the Devils' performance took a little dip when Matthew was out....but that's the irony isn't it? An excellent and probably well paid player sitting out through injury or suspension Myers had a few of those last season. The Devils clearly want consistency and value for money.
People are can only speculate on whose decision this was. Blinkered I might be in saying this, but you would hope that players stay at or go to clubs for other motivations than just earning as much as possible.

wildthing74

I'm gutted about this one as I really expected Matthew to retire a Devil and between his injuries last year we saw the beast of a player he is and the selfless role he plays in the crease a role that maybe we have lacked since the days of Ian Cooper.

Wether it came about via him or the club moving him on is something we may never know but I can't help thinking this is a bad move for us however we want to dress it up.

We keep Batchy,Richie & Bowns I guess we are in good shape with 9 import forwards and 4 D but I would rather we kept all 4 of our top Brits as you can't go out and replace that quality.

bb1

I'm sure Todd and Lordo know what they're doing. The more I think about it the more I think Devils decided to let him go. He's suffered injuries last season and that will only get worse with age.

With import limit increasing we can get a better player on a lower wage. Myers has been excellent but no one is irreplaceable. I'm sure they will replace him with someone of high quality and I'm sure they already have a guy lined up. I mean with Myers now leaving there is room for a guy like Salters (who's name keeps popping up lately) or Szwez (obv paying them a bit more)

At end of day look how good a team we had last season. I trust fully Lordo and co know what they are doing.

wildthing74

I have million percent faith in Lordo & Todd too and without the import limit rising this would have hurt more for sure.

I agree I think injuries played a factor and getting older it's not going to be easy to stay healthy.As a lesser budget team than the arena boys I guess on big bucks he would be a gamble but hopefully he stays injury free and the import limit lowers next year(yeah right) and he can come home next year and see his days out in red.

I don't think Franny get's enough credit for what he does on the recruitment side of things. I think any signings that Lord fancies will be run past him as well as TK. I am also confident that this years team will be as strong if not stronger than last years.

bb1

Im sure if it came down to money then we are in a position where we can keep who we want if we really want them. No one will hold the club to ramsom as I dont think Todd would tolerate it. If players ever try to do that with this club then im sure they will be shown the door and replaced with better.
Im not saying this is the case with Myers at all but it seems strange why he would leave under such a good ownership. I wouldnt rule it out though.

As for Franny he's a proven record with recruitment and was most certainly a big reason why G lasted as devils coach.
I get impression Lord is so thourough and precise with what he does that the only way is up up up for this club.

BostonBart22 said:
MASSIVE loss, thats hockey, like other posts have stated , the coaches and owners know what they are doing, but please no phil hill unless he got a licence to drive the zamboni, good luck matt it was a pleasure watching you have your best season ever for the devils, a true gent and a great role model for british ice hockey :(
Took the words right out of my keyboard.

Slartibartfast

Im sorry to see Matt go but don't understand some peoples downer on Ben Davies. In the dark years when we had a demoralised team Ben always gave 100%
Statistically he is not that far behind Matt Myers.
In Bens last two years with the Devils he averaged 0.58 points per game. Matt averaged 0.67.
Ben averaged 0.8 penalty minutes per game and Matt 2.01 per game.
In 2013-2014 Ben scored more goals than Matt despite playing 3 less games.
Ben dipped slightly to 0.5 points per game in Braehead but maybe he hasn't settled in.
I would love him back here causing chaos in the corners. He is young and with a good coach (which we have) Im sure he will improve further.

Slartibartfast said:
Im sorry to see Matt go but don't understand some peoples downer on Ben Davies. In the dark years when we had a demoralised team Ben always gave 100%
Statistically he is not that far behind Matt Myers.
In Bens last two years with the Devils he averaged 0.58 points per game. Matt averaged 0.67.
Ben averaged 0.8 penalty minutes per game and Matt 2.01 per game.
In 2013-2014 Ben scored more goals than Matt despite playing 3 less games.
Ben dipped slightly to 0.5 points per game in Braehead but maybe he hasn't settled in.
I would love him back here causing chaos in the corners. He is young and with a good coach (which we have) Im sure he will improve further.
+1

Sheincar

For me Ben is a very selfish player who would rather keep the puck himself than pass to team mate in better shooting position. He improved a few years ago after spending the summer with Mac, Marsh and Blight but soon fell back into his old habits.