Mc Sorrow ?

Thread starter #1
Just had a browse on Dundee's forum to get an insight on their thoughts on the Sheriff.
The way i read it the census of opinion is that the majority of fan's are already fed up of his antics!. This is just one post:

"I agree wholeheartedly we need an enforcer who can play and pull his weight. To me Sean "McMorrow is a poor quality import who has done nothing on the ice except fight. His antics on the bench towards opponents is despicable and other teams are just laughing at him. These fights appear to be stage managed and I do not think this is good publicity for ice hockey. It would be far better to have quality players playing good ice hockey and giving 100%.

I feel for the Star's fans because they seem to be very passionate about their team and deserve better. Personally i think they would better off with an average tough guy but good player and a better netminder, then iam sure then that their fortunes would quickly reverse.

Any thoughts on how long it will be before the "Sheriff " is driven out of town?

A

Anonymous

Personally I'm not at all suprised by this reaction. People argue that his character is good for the team/league etc but all this "staged" nonsense is more suited to the stage itself than on the ice. I guess from the off his signing opened a few eyes and got a few fans excited but if the fans are getting fed up already after a hand full of games then its obviously not working. Especially after some heavy defeats. People will start to point the finger, and rightfully so. I would say if results for the Stars had of been better then people would see the humorous side of Mcmorrow more, rather than the sceptical one. I hope for Dundee and the league that their results will soon start to improve and the fans can enjoy their hockey!!

Dundee cannot afford to have a player like McMorrow, they need a enforcer who can play. In Belfast McMorrow was a fan favourite but in some ways we could afford to have him there soley to put bums on seats since the team was already doing so well. I would suspect that alot of the teams budget has gone to McMorrow, which could account for the lack of quality in the roster.
But now that Dundee is having such a bad start players like McMorrow get put in the spotlight and pointed to as the probelm, but the issue is deeper than that.

Some fans were upset that we released McMorrow but when you see a player like Mike Hoffman step in and lead your team in points and be great as an enforcer (not a staged fighter) its hard to justify a spot in any roster for a McMorrow.

A

Anonymous

I hope for Dundee and the league that their results will soon start to improve and the fans can enjoy their hockey!!
Commenting on my own quote here, looks like the improvement is sooner rather than later. Halfway through 2nd period Belfast1 Dundee 1

TheDevilTorn said:
I hope for Dundee and the league that their results will soon start to improve and the fans can enjoy their hockey!!
Commenting on my own quote here, looks like the improvement is sooner rather than later. Halfway through 2nd period Belfast1 Dundee 1
Belfast 4 Dundee 1 atm

TheStub

Game finished 2-4. OK, another loss, but holding the Giants to 4 whilst scoring twice is an improvement over recent results. Hopefully it was a good match, as that is what keeps people going.

I just hope they pick up a few wins, maybe repay Steelers for the initial pastings.

Ditch McMorrow, sign a better goalie, or strengthen the defence.
Poor lad sees more rubber than the M4!

Maybe sign McMorrow in a PR role for the club than a, cough cough, "playing" role.

TheStub said:
Game finished 2-4. OK, another loss, but holding the Giants to 4 whilst scoring twice is an improvement over recent results. Hopefully it was a good match, as that is what keeps people going.

I just hope they pick up a few wins, maybe repay Steelers for the initial pastings.
We outshot them 44-26, Giants down two players mason and eggs,happy with a four point weekend.

ASHIPP

Dan Ceman must be despairing right now. Whilst it's easy to see why McMorrow was signed to the Stars to kick start fan interest and oil the PR machine, it appears that just as many fans are questioning that decision. Something has to happen up there? :?

Gaz G

Whilst I agree McMorrow doesn't really contribute anything playing wise I do think it would be far too simple to get rid of him and it would be the "easy" option. He was part of a very good giants team last year and his role was exactly the same with them as it is with Dundee. Surely the Stars knew what they were signing and what he would/wouldn't contribute, so therefore I find it difficult to blame him? The other players were signed to do a job defensively and offensively putting up points and preventing points if you like. Perhaps it is those players who need to be looked at?

Not saying I'm right on this matter just that I think they knew exactly what McMorrow brings and does in each game so is it really his fault for the lack of points on the board???

steve

if i was a dundee fan, i think i'd get behind mcmorrow regardless - complaining is the last thing a team trying to establish a big fanbase needs! even if he is rubbish, pretend he's the most exciting thing to happen in scotland since mel gibson painted his face blue. make a fuss! i would if he was down here.

ASHIPP

It's 'complicated' though - it depends whether the fans want to see exciting hockey, their team win the game or someone who entertains.
The Sheriff will undoubtedly heighten the profile of the Stars in their first Elite season - but fans are arguing he doesn't contribute to the play and would prefer someone who could. He looks like he's doing exactly what he was brought in to do - entertainment and PR.

The Stars' performance issues are with their defence/netminder....so maybe there will be changes there sooner than we think. Hope so - what motivation is there for players to work their socks off all week, only to face a drubbing every match? :x Not good on their Cvs for future reference either.

TheStub

Re: Re: Mc Sorrow ?

steve said:
if i was a dundee fan, i think i'd get behind mcmorrow regardless - complaining is the last thing a team trying to establish a big fanbase needs! even if he is rubbish, pretend he's the most exciting thing to happen in scotland since mel gibson painted his face blue. make a fuss! i would if he was down here.
The trouble is, that argument could be made for every player on every team.

If Dundee keep getting battered, but McMorrow keeps winning fights, how many fame will stick around?

Their fans have been saying some very constructive things, and seem to love the team and the sport. Here is hoping that they can make changes and start seeing some results.

A

Anonymous

jester said:
TheStub said:

We outshot them 44-26, Giants down two players mason and eggs,happy with a four point weekend.
Yeeeah, think your missing the point dude.

A

Anonymous

I guess its a bit like Penner correct me if I'm wrong but he hasn't contributed much so far this season has he? I have noticed he's spent a lot of time in the box, fighting everyone and anyone along the way. Perhaps because the Panthers have been doing well so far no-one has mentioned Penner. I reckon if results for them had of been different people would be saying the same about him as the Stars fans are saying about Mcmorrow? Just a thought like :roll:

Gaz G

TheDevilTorn said:
I guess its a bit like Penner correct me if I'm wrong but he hasn't contributed much so far this season has he? I have noticed he's spent a lot of time in the box, fighting everyone and anyone along the way. Perhaps because the Panthers have been doing well so far no-one has mentioned Penner. I reckon if results for them had of been different people would be saying the same about him as the Stars fans are saying about Mcmorrow? Just a thought like :roll:
Spot on mate. The fighters/entertainers are signed to do a job and as far as im concerned are the only people who do their job to the fullest of expextations.

wildthing74

To be honest getting McMorrow was a masterstoke.He was brought in to a new team(sort of) and is the one guy in the league that was guaranteed to get people talking about him and his team.
Dundee would have been just another team and probably got hardly any column inches compared to the likes of Belfast,Nottingham, Coventry etc.
They were given an extra import slot along with 4 other teams and it was a given that this was to allow teams to bring in a hard man and to entertain crowds.The hope would be that the extra fans they bring in helps pay for themselves.
I can see why it may have worked but to me the decent tough guys aren't bothered as they can play so it leaves just the likes of Penner and McMorrow to fight at first face off when that brings nothing to the game.
In fairness to Sean,he's more than doing what he was brought in to do and can't see what else their fans were expecting.He is out in the community trying to raise the profile and playing the tough guy role.Maybe if the other guys they signed played their roles better they would not be struggling so much.

A

Anonymous

samidevils said:
But you only need to look at the Dundee fans posts to see they are not entertained in the slightest.
But if Dundee were top of the league they would all be saying how great he is! When a team are struggling fans look for a scapegoat, the NM, the coach or in Dundee's case, Mcmorrow. My knowledge of the Sheriff isn't vast, but I struggle to see how he cant be deemed entertaining. Unless your losing every game. conceding 8 goals a night of course. :?

BrokenAngel said:
Maybe sign McMorrow in a PR role for the club than a, cough cough, "playing" role.
But isn't that the role he was signed for? because anyone that's seen him on the ice, well I'll say no more :lol:
No the Dundee fans need to look at the rest of the team, including as you say the keeper because fans from teams that Dundee have already played think he is very weak.