Misfiring M line?

DevilDom

Thread starter #1
Is anyone else a little dissapointed with the much heralded M line? I am and in particular with Matt Miller. He looked fantastic in the home warm up game against Coventry but I haven't seen that same spark since. I have only been to home games so far, so don't know if he has been doing it away. As for the M line as a whole, they don't look to have a good understanding of each other and although Smith and Max have looked good in patches as individuals I haven't yet seen anything to make me think they will be feared as a line in total.

I know its still fairly early days, but we can't afford to slip too far behind the likes of Nottingham. I thought they looked good last night and found a way to win a scrappy game in which they were 2 down. I thought they did this by out-muscling us and it was worrying that without Voth we don't seem to have a big hitter in the side and seemed to let them do it.

Gazza272

I've sort of covered this in the game thread but i really want us to try Voth on the first line for a couple of games, I think opposition D men would have to much to think about if they had to concentrate on Voth and Smith and Birbrear, i also think Voth crashes the net well and would be poking in a few of those passes smith likes to throw in front of the crease.

I also think that Miller and Smith like to take up to much of a similar position, they love to cycle right behind the net, i think Miller would benefit from being with Jay and Hilly as do most of their work in the corners.

I'm not to disheartened as i do think the M line is trying its best, i just think they are struggling for a natural understanding which does happen in sport. I think a Change is either going to find some better chemistry or at least make them collectively try that little bit harder.

It's an interesting debate. If you look at the stats it shows Miller as second in points behind Hill.

Both Smith and Birbraer are scoring at a point/game. It's slightly down on what we were expecting, but can't be considered a bad return. If we add in the fact that they are getting a lot of attention from opposition players, which is probably helping our stong secondary scoring, the stats look good.

This makes Gazza's point an important one. I guess the line combinations need to get the best out of Smith and Birbraer, while also ensuring we maintain our secondary scoring.

Voth on the top line would certainly create room, but that will mean Latulippe loses room and protection on the second line. Remember, a big part of Jay's game is agitation. I'd like to see what Hill could do with Smith and Max, but I've never seen him play on the right? I'd also be surprised to see G break up last year's second line so quickly.

There's also the bonus that for mine, Davies looks perfectly capable of occupying a top 9 forward slot and looked to have great chemistry with Hill and Latulippe last night.

However, I do think the first line can get it right with the right game plan. Miller seems to be looking to play a skill based game and get involved with the plays. Given his career stats (and whatI saw when he was at Basingstoe) I'd expected him to be shooting on sight and playing a physical game. (A similar role to Payette with Calder/Carlsson but with more emphasis on the skill and less on the intimidation)

The Sample/Smith/Max partnership worked becuse Samps stuck to his strengths and played a simple game (reaping the points rewards as a result).

In terms of the third line, I'm really looking forward to seeing G and Michel smashing it up together when we have a full roster.

zoesdevil

yeah we are not playing as good as we could but we r beating coventry away,squeelers at home which we didnt do last season at all and we should of beaten panthers last nite and everybody else in the league are losing games aswell,i dont see it as a big deal,we havent had as much ice time as all the other teams and just think wen we are playin really well and firing on all cylinders how dangerous we will be then??

TheStub

Soundwave1 said:
If we add in the fact that they are getting a lot of attention from opposition players, which is probably helping our stong secondary scoring, the stats look good.
I have to agree with you there mate. the press that Smith and Max are getting, I think they are seen as the number one threat by most of the other teams, and they are going out of their way to shut them down.

Not that I am saying we have seen the best of that line, or it is even performing.

Also, the fact that our second and third lines are so strong this season means the "M" line wont look as all powerful in comparison.

Something has to shift. It may just be more ice time, or shuffle the players a bit, but I fully expect there to be a 'click' moment, and the line to start firing like we expect. I am looking forward to that - because where do you defend? Three lines that can score almost at will - bring it on!

DevilDom

Thread starter #6
I hear what you are saying with regards the attention they have been receiving from other teams and what that does for the 2nd and 3rd lines, however I do hope they click soon as we need all 3 lines firing to be seriously considered as potential winners of any silverware. Also a remain to be convinced by Miller and maybe a change if things don't improve in the next few games would be good for him too.

not sure moving brad is a great idea the 2nd line have worked together since last year which is probably why they have started so well.

maybe michel on the wing of the first line, a gritty player that can keep up with the other two is what is needed i think and he fits the bill!

4 of our top line are scoring at a point a game! That has to be one of the top scoring lines in the league surely and Miller is on 10 point from 9 Games, why would we change this. I think its Smith who as yet is suffering, but he is recieving a lot of attention from other teams and as yet just doesn't seem to be able to play his own game.
If the arguement for swapping Miller and Voth is down to Voth offering more protection and enabling Smith to play, well maybe, Miller does seem to play a bit on his own, but do we want Voth's main role to be protecting a smaller player or do we want him to play a game that suits his style on the 2nd line with Hill and Jay? Also with Michel, he is a role player and is doing a fantastic job. That 3rd line is working becasue of his speed and style, he is perfect on that line.
In my view we should not change anything just to get more points out of one or two players, when everything else is working. Keep it as it is and hope that the "M" line keeps working hard and causing problems for the opposition, if it is the 2nd and 3rd lines that benefit from this rather than the "M" line itself, then so be it, I don't care who scores as long as someone does.