National Anthem

Thread starter #1
For those welsh (and of course English/Irish and Scottish spectators) who follow the Cardiff Devils and would like to sing "loud and proud" at the games but are unsure of all of the words (i'm sure there are no ovaries in the verse) would it be possible for the words to be printed in the programme or on the television sets when the music is being played?
It seems that the anthem is not taught to the children in English speaking schools (or if it is mine have forgotten) and it is great that my children are singing this every week. If the words were made available we would probably know them by the end of the season. Just a thought :)

Russky

These are the Actual words (Just 1st Verse and Chorus is often sung)

Mae hen wlad fy nhadau yn annwyl i mi,
Gwlad beirdd a chantorion, enwogion o fri;
Ei gwrol ryfelwyr, gwladgarwyr tra mâd,
Tros ryddid gollasant eu gwaed.

Chorus:
Gwlad, Gwlad, pleidiol wyf i'm gwlad,
Tra môr yn fur i'r bur hoff bau,
O bydded i'r heniaith barhau.

The remaining words are not often sung:

Hen Gymru fynyddig, paradwys y bardd;
Pob dyffryn, pob clogwyn, i'm golwg sydd hardd
Trwy deimlad gwladgarol, mor swynol yw si
Ei nentydd, afonydd, i fi.

Chorus

Os treisiodd y gelyn fy ngwlad dan ei droed,
Mae hen iaith y Cymry mor fyw ag erioed,
Ni luddiwyd yr awen gan erchyll law brad,
Na thelyn berseiniol fy ngwlad.

Chorus

This is the Phonetic version of the 1st verse and Chorus

My hen oo-lad vurr n'had-die un ann-wil ee mee
goo-lard bay-rdd* a ch**ann-tor-eon
enn wog eon o vree
ane goo-rol ruvv-el-weir
goo-lard gar-weir tra mard
dross rudd*-id cor-ll***ar-sant ay goo-eyed.

Goo-lard, goo-lard
played-eeyol weave eem goo-lard
tra more un beer, ear beer horff bye
O budd*-ed eer hen ee-eye-th bar hi.

NB
*There are two "th" sounds in Welsh as there are in English but in Welsh, they are spelled differently."Th" in Welsh is pronounced as in English "think" or "fourth". "Dd" is pronounced as in "this" or "that".

** "ch" is pronounced as in "loch" or "Bach"

*** "ll" is a cross between an "l" and an "s"

Paul Sullivan

I agree and would like to have them onscreen.

We did display them for a few months in previous times but a strange thing happened.

We put the Welsh words up and had some complaints that people who couldn't speak Welsh couldn't pronounce the words and could we have a phonetic version.

So we displayed the phonetic version and had complaints from Welsh speakers who said it was disgraceful that we pere not putting the Welsh up and it was "fake".

So we did a Switzerland and did neither. Head I win, tails you lose...

Paul Sullivan

DevilDom said:
Classic response from Devils fans.

Dammed if you do and dammed if you don't!
We did have a little chuckle about it. Aside from when we were told we should be ashamed of putting the phonetic version up...

Funniest part was it was the officially recognised phonetic version, as used and supported by BBC Wales :?

Mark666

Maybe something in the program? Cut out and keep, phonetic on one side and 'real' on the other.

I'm from Stoke, but i love singing the anthem before games and try to get the words.

Anyone have an English translation out of interest? Or would that be sacrilege? :)

Gaz G

If people want to sing the anthem learn the bloody words at home!! This topic comes up about three times a year and is getting boring now. If you have access to this forum you have access to the internet thus having access to the words. Get on with it without moaning.

ASHIPP

If we want to see how the National Anthem should be sung properly, only need to listen to Paul's great solo performances :cool: ....bit cheeky to ask him to sing it at every game, though.

Tyke Devil

There was a bit of an equipment malfunction at the last ENL game so the announcer asked the crowd to sing it and to their credit they did and it sounded great.

Now I am English so I choose to take off my cap, stand up and respect the anthem. Of course mini-Tyke Devil could teach me the words but "old dog new tricks" springs to mind. I struggle to pronounce the street that I live on to be honest :lol:

Rhythm...I'd suggest a similar equipment/audio malfunction when the BBT is full and rocking. The Welsh National Anthem sounds great when it is sung "live".

If you can't sing it..be respectful. If you can..belt it out loud and proud.

Re: Re: National Anthem

Tyke Devil said:
I agree with the respectful part. The number of people we have standing in front of us talking through the anthem is disgusting. If you don't want to or can't sing then don't but please show a little respect.

Sent from my HTC Desire using Tapatalk

Ocko

I dont think it's taken seriously when its players off a CD. If Paul Sullivan sings it, I'm sure there is alot more respect shown then. Not that it should make a difference an anthem is part of the pride of a country and should be respected. But in the American league, even the minors the anthem is a big thing. I've watched Hershey Bears a fair few times in the AHL and they had local troops perform a guard of honour and troop their colours and then have a good singer or choir. I think we really devalue our anthem by having a pre-recording played.

Skippy

Ocko said:
I dont think it's taken seriously when its players off a CD. If Paul Sullivan sings it, I'm sure there is alot more respect shown then. Not that it should make a difference an anthem is part of the pride of a country and should be respected. But in the American league, even the minors the anthem is a big thing. I've watched Hershey Bears a fair few times in the AHL and they had local troops perform a guard of honour and troop their colours and then have a good singer or choir. I think we really devalue our anthem by having a pre-recording played.
Have to agree there the recorded singing voice is no help

I've said it before but will say it again.
Its always so much better when the anthem is sung live be it by Paul or somebody else. When we started the season with that girl singing i was hoping it would last for the whole season but sadly not.
Would it not be possible to get an in house anthem singer like in the NHL. Would imagine there would be a lot of students from music colleges etc who'd like to do it and be able to put it on their CV...

Regarding the lyrics - I don't see the need for the phonetic , why not just use the real words. I don't speak Welsh but after you've heard the anthem a couple of times with the real words in front of you its easy enough to pick them up.

And as i go to post it i see Ocko has posted something very similar :D

Tyke Devil

Ivydrive said:
I've said it before but will say it again.
Its always so much better when the anthem is sung live be it by Paul or somebody else. When we started the season with that girl singing i was hoping it would last for the whole season but sadly not.
Would it not be possible to get an in house anthem singer like in the NHL. Would imagine there would be a lot of students from music colleges etc who'd like to do it and be able to put it on their CV...

Regarding the lyrics - I don't see the need for the phonetic , why not just use the real words. I don't speak Welsh but after you've heard the anthem a couple of times with the real words in front of you its easy enough to pick them up.

And as i go to post it i see Ocko has posted something very similar :D
Whoever the guy was that was stood to the R/H side of the net behind the plexi at the last ENL game should do it. What a voice!

mrsw

Whilst I'd love everyone to join in singing the anthem with me I'd settle for people to show some respect whilst its on. Stop walking around the arena and stop talking!!! :evil:

D

Deleted member 1337

Re: Re: National Anthem

clairey_faerie said:
Tyke Devil said:
I agree with the respectful part. The number of people we have standing in front of us talking through the anthem is disgusting. If you don't want to or can't sing then don't but please show a little respect.

Sent from my HTC Desire using Tapatalk
(in a shefield game last season) campbell :
1. Kept his helmet on :!:
2.Skated around :!:
and
3.Chated to the ref(s) :!:

any one shocked though (dont think so) campbell's respect is 0

Russky

I am not a natural welsh speaker, some may say I have enough trouble with English, but I ALWAYS get a goosebumpy feeling whenever and where ever I hear or try to sing along with the Welsh Anthem! I learnt the anthem when I was a kid in school thanks to St Davids Day! But over the years forgot the majority of the words to it! I found the phonetic version very helpful in re-learning it, seeing as I hear it at least once a week during the Hockey season!

I much prefer a singer, regardless of who is singing it, to a recording of it. But its about time that it is respected by visiting teams even if we dont have a visiting team's anthem. Perhaps it could be arranged to have the visiting team Anthem played as well i.e. Flower of Scotland, or Ireland's Call or Land of Hope and Glory depending on the visiting team! (Not God save the Queen as that is the anthem of the whole of UK not just England!!!!!)

Earnie

I do recall the Welsh version on screen - and then the phoenetic version which was near impossible to understand and sympathise with Management who were trying to help the fans and found them moaning no matter what they did
As a Welsh speaker , thinking of those who can not, I favour the proper Welsh version on screen that you can study and follow and eventually take a part as you go along with the music. Also it is less conspicuous than reading it if it was printed in a programme.