New arena update

pjj365

About 8 or so weeks ago the owner of the developers said in a Sunday Times Business Section interview that steel cost alone had risen from £160m to £800 making the project un viable at the moment
He was not pulling the plug but entering wait and see mode

Finny

never gonna happen
I’d say the potential gains from it mean that it will happen at some point. But there might be a delay of a year or two because of currents high costs and interest rates.

The Principality Stadium has been a huge success in attracting some of the Worlds biggest events. But because of its size it can only attract massive events. And these only tend to be a couple of times a year.
A 16,500 capacity arena would be able to attract smaller events that could take place several times every week. And bringing in visitors from outside Cardiff to spend their money is ultimately what the council and local business need.

moggy#9

I’d say the potential gains from it mean that it will happen at some point. But there might be a delay of a year or two because of currents high costs and interest rates.

The Principality Stadium has been a huge success in attracting some of the Worlds biggest events. But because of its size it can only attract massive events. And these only tend to be a couple of times a year.
A 16,500 capacity arena would be able to attract smaller events that could take place several times every week. And bringing in visitors from outside Cardiff to spend their money is ultimately what the council and local business need.
The council obviously wants to attract visitors to the city to bring in money. As a shopping destination the city centre looks like it is deteriorating badly, and they can't rely on a handful of weekends of chase the egg to keep everything ticking over.

There seems to be a real fear of missing out on a lot of stuff to Bristol. The problem is that Cardiff has fallen behind in a number of crucial areas, so it's not just there cost of an arena, it's the infrastructure to support it that needs investment. Otherwise the council will be doing their normal half arsed job.

Devils86

Interested in your point about events that need a 16,500 seater host and that take place several times every week. (No tone and not intended in an argumentative way at all) - what type of events? Having considered the list below I could see that there could be a market for comedy or music that attracts more than 5,000 for the Motorpoint (but not enough to fill the Principality or City Stadium) but then that's not multiple times a week...

I'm struggling to think what could make use of a facility so often - especially when the current offered spaces cover:
Cardiff Motorpoint - 5,000 people
Cardiff Arms Park - 12,125
Cardiff City Stadium - 33,000
Principality - 74,500
Wales Millenium Centre - 2,500
New Theatre - 1,200
St Davids Hall - 2,000
IAW - 3,100
Sophia Gardens - 15,000

lloyd_jeff

Meanwhile in Merthyr the plan is to build the U.K. largest indoor Ski slope in a sports village to include Hotels blah blah blah sound familiar. Labour in Wales, lots of ambition, never delivers yet people keep lapping it up.

moggy#9

Interested in your point about events that need a 16,500 seater host and that take place several times every week. (No tone and not intended in an argumentative way at all) - what type of events? Having considered the list below I could see that there could be a market for comedy or music that attracts more than 5,000 for the Motorpoint (but not enough to fill the Principality or City Stadium) but then that's not multiple times a week...

I'm struggling to think what could make use of a facility so often - especially when the current offered spaces cover:
Principality - 74,500
New Theatre - 1,200
St Davids Hall - 2,000
IAW - 3,100
Sophia Gardens - 15,000
But the majority of those venues are outdoor, and the motor point (which was always, imo, poorly designed) would be redeveloped as part of the arena deal.

Of the outdoor venues only the millennium stadium was designed to have the pitch removed for events. AFAIK Cardiff city stadium only hosts events in the summer when they don't have to worry about damage to the pitch.

Meanwhile the millennium centre is fully booked all year round, as I believe is st David's hall and the new theatre. The last one in particular being horribly outdated by modern standards.

Kevlar68

Thread starter #11

Principality - 74,500
New Theatre - 1,200
St Davids Hall - 2,000
IAW - 3,100
Sophia Gardens - 15,000
Cardiff needs a covered arena for around 15,000, we haven't got that.
Just a quick example, first week July, London O2, Wed - kiss, Fri/Sat - iron maiden, Sun - Hollywood vampires.
Then you have exhibitions, orchestras, comedians, musicals, an evening with...., awards shows.... So there is much more than concerts.

pjj365

Bristol is ahead of the game though and with these numbers it is about catchment area and willingness of artists to play venues so close to each other
Having said that the promoters know what they are doing so watch this space

lloyd_jeff

Wales leadership have openly bemoaned the amount of tourism coming into Wales and ruining Wales. Their farcical tourism tax policy, lack of travel infrastructure and social issue, honestly I’m not surprised these amazingly expensive and ambitious plans never get further than social media. You don’t need tourism to ruin Wales, just visit the cities, the homeless, rubbish and general run down appearance of buildings and roads, Welsh are doing a pretty good job themselves.

Wannabe2

Unfortunately no one gives a shit anymore, there’s no Great in Great Britain, the roads are crap, the parks are crap, the buildings are let to go to rack and ruin and no one gives a toss, it’s a bloody disgrace. If iwas a young lad the first thing I would do is move abroad, this country sucks now.

Wales leadership have openly bemoaned the amount of tourism coming into Wales and ruining Wales. Their farcical tourism tax policy, lack of travel infrastructure and social issue, honestly I’m not surprised these amazingly expensive and ambitious plans never get further than social media. You don’t need tourism to ruin Wales, just visit the cities, the homeless, rubbish and general run down appearance of buildings and roads, Welsh are doing a pretty good job themselves.
And yet, in spite of all these strictures, as a foreigner to these parts, with one different alias after another, you still choose to linger here akin to a turgid smell in a room. Why is that? It sounds to me like you would be far happier emigrating elsewhere. It would be a win-win situation for yourself and the vast majority of Devils fans on here. So why not get the new year off to a good start for yourself and everyone else and leave even if it’s only this forum?

lloyd_jeff

My old man was the son of a docker, in Cardiff, my old man did 40 yrs in the steel works, GKN etc. I was born in Glossop Terrace and my mother was from Ely. l live minutes away from the IAW, in fact Mark Richardson was in Morrisons petrol station putting air in his Kia Nero yesterday, when l left the Harvester I was driving behind who ever has the Nissan Juke with GL22 reg, didn’t see the driver face.

kingmo19.1

My old man was the son of a docker, in Cardiff, my old man did 40 yrs in the steel works, GKN etc. I was born in Glossop Terrace and my mother was from Ely. l live minutes away from the IAW, in fact Mark Richardson was in Morrisons petrol station putting air in his Kia Nero yesterday, when l left the Harvester I was driving behind who ever has the Nissan Juke with GL22 reg, didn’t see the driver face.
Please can you also specify your mothers Maiden Name plus your Postcode.

Thank you!!!!!!

Gisland

Unfortunately no one gives a shit anymore, there’s no Great in Great Britain, the roads are crap, the parks are crap, the buildings are let to go to rack and ruin and no one gives a toss, it’s a bloody disgrace. If iwas a young lad the first thing I would do is move abroad, this country sucks now.

This 100%. Sick and tired of driving on our roads and it feels like I am on a boat at sea. Rocking and dipping all over the place. Seriously thinking about selling up and heading away..