New coach: who should it be?

Mazzoak

You've just acknowledged everything good about Lordo so how can you honestly say you didn't rate him as a coach when he was here, I think you definitely have a personal issue with Lordo.
It was in response to

Why would Lord be the only option when there are literally thousands of coaches out there? That makes no sense whatsoever.
l’ve not acknowledged everything good of Lord, what l wrote was how he’s perceived by fans. My opinion differs, hence the comment l made about not rating him.

voth26

It was in response to

l’ve not acknowledged everything good of Lord, what l wrote was how he’s perceived by fans. My opinion differs, hence the comment l made about not rating him.
To be honest I think you post the negative comments just to get a rise out of others, how can you honestly say you don't rate Lord as a coach when he's won us 2 League titles, back to back playoff titles, 2 challenge cups and conference titles in 6 years so don't tell me it's not a personal thing you have against Lord

Hedd Wyn John

Thread starter #44
I think your point about Dupont salary possibly stopped us getting another D man in is a bit unfair to be honest, it seems that Dupont is becoming the scape goat yet again amongst Devils fans??
How is it unfair? All I did was point out that paying for an additional assistant coach means there's less money available to pay for players. That's the cold reality of the business. The Cardiff Devils aren't a bottomless money pit for the ownership. The aim is always for the team to be financially sustainable.
I've got nothing against Dupont as an assistant coach, if Todd trusts him that's good enough for me.

Gospel

If Lord has any aspirations of making the NHL/AHL as a coach there is no way he would come back to the Devils. IAfter his first year with the Rabbits, he & they have struggled this year. Lots of players moving up & down the leagues hasnt helped though.

As for a new coach, i cant see us going down the route of the same interview process as last time. The Devils 'bigged' up the Skalde appointment process and how rigorous it was etc etc and it didn't work out. My guess is that it'll be someone already known to TK &/or the owners.

On the owners, correct me if ive missed it, but i havent seen one mention from them about Skalde leaving, not even a thank you so things would appear pretty sour.

Kevlar68

The owners don't need to say anything, Todd is the Managing Director, he's the spokesperson for the Devils Org.

“I would like to thank Jarrod for his contributions to our team over the past season and during the year we missed because of Covid,” said Managing Director Todd Kelman. “The Devils organisation has great respect for Jarrod and we wish him all the best in his future endeavours."

moggy#9

If Lord has any aspirations of making the NHL/AHL as a coach there is no way he would come back to the Devils. IAfter his first year with the Rabbits, he & they have struggled this year. Lots of players moving up & down the leagues hasnt helped though.

As for a new coach, i cant see us going down the route of the same interview process as last time. The Devils 'bigged' up the Skalde appointment process and how rigorous it was etc etc and it didn't work out. My guess is that it'll be someone already known to TK &/or the owners.

On the owners, correct me if ive missed it, but i havent seen one mention from them about Skalde leaving, not even a thank you so things would appear pretty sour.
I agree. The skalde recruitment process had the luxury of time. That isn't the case this time, and the club can't afford to get the wrong person twice. We also can't afford to have our rivals come in and poach what I hope will need the new core of the team.

Other than the bland statement, the lack of anything coming from the club and the suddenness of the departure is alarming in the extreme.

How is it unfair? All I did was point out that paying for an additional assistant coach means there's less money available to pay for players. That's the cold reality of the business. The Cardiff Devils aren't a bottomless money pit for the ownership. The aim is always for the team to be financially sustainable.
I've got nothing against Dupont as an assistant coach, if Todd trusts him that's good enough for me.
Dupont was actually signed as a player/ assistant coach to begin with so nothing additional about his coaching role. The club may or may not have adjusted his salary when he ceased playing depending on the terms of his contract I imagine.
https://www.cardiffdevils.com/news/your-captains-2021-22-have-been-confirmed/
Head Coach Jarrod Skalde also confirmed that Brodie Dupont would take on a player/assistant coach role for the season.

Kevlar68

I cant remember in all the time i've supported teams (Ice Hockey, Football, Rugby) that when a manager has been released by the club that an explanation as to why he was released was ever announced. I've only ever seen an explanation when the manager themselves has decided to leave.
Skalde has gone, why? Doesn't really matter as he's not coming back so we just move on. Us knowing the reason won't make any difference in my opinion.

Last edited:

Devil94

I cant remember in all the time i've supported teams (Ice Hockey, Football, Rugby) that when a manager has been released by the club that an explanation as to why he was released was ever announced. I've only ever seen an explanation when the manager themselves has decided to leave.
Skalde has gone, why? Doesn't really matter as he's not coming back so we just move on. Us knowing the reason won't make any difference in my opinion.
Well usually it's pretty obvious why a coach has been let go. A football team that's not winning games and battling for relegation don't really need to explain why. This is very different to that.

matbur

I think as paying fans we deserve some sort of understanding as to what has gone on. I don’t want any gory detail (if there is any), but a simple explanation such as Coach Skalde decided to walk away or the club felt it was a mutual agreement to depart.
Spot on, fans deserve to have some sort of explanation. TK is usually a good communicator, so if the circumstances allow it, I would expect him to release a statement or an interview giving some sort of explanation from the organisation's perspective.

It'd be pretty disappointed if we didn't hear anything officially from the club.

The whole situation still seems very strange.

James

Administrator
What's peoples thoughts on Wallace ? Panthers fans seemed to think he was made a scapegoat for Doucets poor recruitment. He certainly knows the league. Contender or busted flush ?

moggy#9

What's peoples thoughts on Wallace ? Panthers fans seemed to think he was made a scapegoat for Doucets poor recruitment. He certainly knows the league. Contender or busted flush ?
Not for me. While I had sympathy for his position at panthers I think that the devils need someone who is a bit more... I struggle to think of a better word than "dynamic". Devils fans need a bit of passion. Someone a bit more Adam Keefe than Omar pacha.

august04 2.0

Not for me. While I had sympathy for his position at panthers I think that the devils need someone who is a bit more... I struggle to think of a better word than "dynamic". Devils fans need a bit of passion. Someone a bit more Adam Keefe than Omar pacha.
Agreed. You couldn’t exactly call Keefe and Fox ‘shrinking violets’ and I’d prefer someone like that with an edge and a bit about them. I like Wallace but he seems too nice!

moggy#9

There are some parallels this season with the 90/91 and 91/92 seasons. A loss of key personnel, a new coach, inconsistency and a frustrated fan base. The latter finished with a failure to make the play offs weekend. We'll see if that parallel continues.

It's also worth pointing out that the following season (after the Gratton/andison false start) we ended up winning everything...

Last edited: