New Devils Jerseys

Devil94

It's a decent looking jersey like the other 3, but I prefer the black with red.
But can someone explain what the attraction is in buying a jersey that the team won't actually wear? I don't see the appeal myself.

Wannabe2

But can someone explain what the attraction is in buying a jersey that the team won't actually wear? I don't see the appeal myself.
Lots of people will especially if you find yourself being a shirt collector.

Devils86

Thread starter #268
Theres also no guarantee that the ST jerseys won't be used....we don't know.

OJLloyd

Shirts are nice.

Very disappointed in the viewpoints being thrown around, particular about the use of the Welsh language (something which doesn’t exist solely outside of Cardiff).

I am a very proud Welsh speaker, and also someone whose family are from Cardiff. I don’t see why the heritage of Cardiff and the heritage of Wales aren’t intertwined. It’s unfortunately a line often trotted out by those who don’t know Welsh and therefore dismiss it as “a dead language” etc.

I also assume that none of you who hold these opinions sing the national anthem before the games, or when we are away in a different country.

Much like when I watch Cardiff in a European game in any sport, I feel it also represents Wales. We happen to only play teams from other countries in this sport, so it’s befitting that we are also quasi-representatives of our nation in doing so.

On a final point, I think I prefer the normal black jersey over the season ticket one.

Samael

ST jersey doesnt appeal to me. I'm glad it's only a colour variant of the general release ones which, in my honest opinion, is far too similar to previous years to make me want one anyway.

Now then, l seem to have upset, dissapointed, offended or whatever a few people here for expressing my views regarding the imagery used on this and previous jerseys. To those who feel this way, tough. l'm not apologising and l stand by my views.

I'm not a Welsh speaker, l dont sing the anthem, despite being pestered as a kid at away games to sing it by crusty old members of the then supporters club. l also dropped Welsh in high school as soon as could, l never had any desire to work in either government or for the bbc which seem to be the only places where it's an actual advantage. l have no desire or more importantly no NEED to learn it as no literature in my working or social life requires it, and frankly l'm sick of people telling me otherwise. If you want to demonise my belief and label me anti Welsh, you are welcome to carry on. I could not give a sospan fach of a toss.

I've mentioned before l find it farcical the jersey has Welsh symbolism given we have so few actual Welsh born players and we are a club team not a national one. I stand by this.
The imagery will appeal to the patriotic among the fanbase, but remember the club is owned, directed, coached and for the most part played by people who are of the Maple leaf, not the dragon. I'm not saying that is a bad thing, nor am l taking anything away from Frannie, who held this club together during its worst years. I just believe the gradual increase in Welsh imagery on club merch is rather shallow given my belief, and l'd bet a full tank of petrol on this, no one is speaking Welsh in the locker room or at senior meetings so why is it so important to see it across the team kit during the domestic campaign?

Going forward l've decided to read more and comment less here which l'm sure a few of you who have different views to myself will be very grateful for.

kingmo19.1

ST jersey doesnt appeal to me. I'm glad it's only a colour variant of the general release ones which, in my honest opinion, is far too similar to previous years to make me want one anyway.

Now then, l seem to have upset, dissapointed, offended or whatever a few people here for expressing my views regarding the imagery used on this and previous jerseys. To those who feel this way, tough. l'm not apologising and l stand by my views.

I'm not a Welsh speaker, l dont sing the anthem, despite being pestered as a kid at away games to sing it by crusty old members of the then supporters club. l also dropped Welsh in high school as soon as could, l never had any desire to work in either government or for the bbc which seem to be the only places where it's an actual advantage. l have no desire or more importantly no NEED to learn it as no literature in my working or social life requires it, and frankly l'm sick of people telling me otherwise. If you want to demonise my belief and label me anti Welsh, you are welcome to carry on. I could not give a sospan fach of a toss.

I've mentioned before l find it farcical the jersey has Welsh symbolism given we have so few actual Welsh born players and we are a club team not a national one. I stand by this.
The imagery will appeal to the patriotic among the fanbase, but remember the club is owned, directed, coached and for the most part played by people who are of the Maple leaf, not the dragon. I'm not saying that is a bad thing, nor am l taking anything away from Frannie, who held this club together during its worst years. I just believe the gradual increase in Welsh imagery on club merch is rather shallow given my belief, and l'd bet a full tank of petrol on this, no one is speaking Welsh in the locker room or at senior meetings so why is it so important to see it across the team kit during the domestic campaign?

Going forward l've decided to read more and comment less here which l'm sure a few of you who have different views to myself will be very grateful for.
Cardiff Uni and doing a beginners course in Welsh if your interested?

Samael

It's actually 'you're', as in you are. Not your, which is the possesive. Perhaps they offer basic English grammar courses too, after all that is a language spoken all over the world and butchered on a regular basis by second rate forum comedians.

kingmo19.1

It's actually 'you're', as in you are. Not your, which is the possesive. Perhaps they offer basic English grammar courses too, after all that is a language spoken all over the world and butchered on a regular basis by second rate forum comedians.
Let’s do that one two - we cun holds hands whilst we studdie tergethur! Itul bee tidy munn!

BostonBart22

I'm no welsh speaker and lived in cardiff all my life, I've never sung God save the queen and never will and don't intend starting to, as far as the welsh dragon debate goes I'm happy it's on our teams shirts playing in cardiff and the captol city of Wales, that's my opinion , what would you rather, a rose or a red Cross on our new devils players shirts playing in wales. Would you like a welsh fire cricket shirt to watch the devils, no sign of a dragon on it you be pleased to hear..could arrange to get hula hoops printed in welsh for you though...

Samael

I'm no welsh speaker and lived in cardiff all my life, I've never sung God save the queen and never will and don't intend starting to, as far as the welsh dragon debate goes I'm happy it's on our teams shirts playing in cardiff and the captol city of Wales, that's my opinion , what would you rather, a rose or a red Cross on our new devils players shirts playing in wales. Would you like a welsh fire cricket shirt to watch the devils, no sign of a dragon on it you be pleased to hear..could arrange to get hula hoops printed in welsh for you though...
Sigh, as you've quoted me I'll respond. I don't sing God save the Queen, Oh Canada or Mae hen wlad fy nhadau. No l would not rather a red rose on the team kit, and I'm not interested in cricket so don't see the relevance.

l would rather NO national symbolism at all. As l've stated repeatedly we are not a national team, we don't have a roster of home grown players and when you say Wales the first sport you think of is not ice hockey. It makes me cringe looking at the team when the anthem is sung because l'm sure they are thinking what the hell is this noise but are for the most part respectful professionals who patiently wait to get on with the game, just like some of the fans.

At the end of the day it's a dragon on a jersey. A dragon that can't even be seen clearly on of 3 of the 4 (mediocre) designs on show so far. I really don't care in the greater scheme of things, l have no intention of purchasing one. This year's looks far too similar to the last couple of seasons anyway. Plastic nationalism or not.

Last edited:

Gavevs88

Season ticket Jersey looks brilliant. I love the dragon on it albeit some comments from some anti Welsh supporters on here I've had to block. We are the only Welsh club and are the capital of Wales. Welsh might not be our first language but why wouldn't we celebrate it. Some people just love to moan for the sake of it! If you don't like the jerseys don't buy one.

moggy#9

Goodness, I could have pretty much written this word for word myself.

BostonBart22

Sigh, as you've quoted me I'll respond. I don't sing God save the Queen, Oh Canada or Mae hen wlad fy nhadau. No l would not rather a red rose on the team kit, and I'm not interested in cricket so don't see the relevance.

l would rather NO national symbolism at all. As l've stated repeatedly we are not a national team, we don't have a roster of home grown players and when you say Wales the first sport you think of is not ice hockey. It makes me cringe looking at the team when the anthem is sung because l'm sure they are thinking what the hell is this noise but are for the most part respectful professionals who patiently wait to get on with the game, just like some of the fans.

At the end of the day it's a dragon on a jersey. A dragon that can't even be seen clearly on of 3 of the 4 (mediocre) designs on show so far. I really don't care in the greater scheme of things, l have no intention of purchasing one. This year's looks far too similar to the last couple of seasons anyway. Plastic nationalism or not.
Hope our Welsh anthem didnt upset you to much or the welsh dragon on the screen . enjoy the season ahead as its not going anywhere...

TL91

Geography is always going to be important, locally and nationally as otherwise you just become a soulless franchise. Yes there aren’t exactly many local players in the squad so on that basis shall the devils just uproute and base themselves in Canada? I’m sure you feel stronger about the Devils because they are more local or even Welsh than you do about supporting an NHL team.