New EIHL team in London for 2014-2015

Koop11

The mind does boggle when you think a team in London has proved to be unsustainable to date but if there isn’t a suitable venue then it just shows that even London, one of the most recognised metropolitans in the world, will struggle.

The Docks Arena was difficult to attract travelling fans from across the city and beyond and during the very expensive Superleague era. Lee Valley was too small to sustain a relatively cheaper Elite League team. You need something in between. Is Wembley that though? I’m not sure. I think it’s too big for this current level if hockey. It would ultimately come down to how much the Wembley Arena would charge for rent. I’m guessing it wouldn’t be cheap.

There is an argument that if one city could host higher than league average crowds then it’s London. It will have a huge expat community from Canada, Scandinavia and Eastern Europe and the shear population to generate interest. However, there would have to be a huge marketing push and a sustained one at that. Like most of the UK, London in particular is football dominated but that in itself can work in our favour – something new.

The benefits of a London team to the sport in the UK are potentially hugely rewarding. You can therefore see why there is a continued desire to have a team there. We can also then again boast the fact that we have every capital city playing in the same league, something that us surprisingly unique.

Is Wembley the right venue and is the timing right for the fragile league, especially with the newly established conference system as the report alludes to? These are the determining questions that need to be strongly considered. If they do go ahead, there will be huge pressure to get it right this time. Failure 3 times in as many decades could see the end of any London team playing at the highest level for a very long time.

Finny

Well at least with Neil Black behind the plan it should have some credibility. Plus he will have learnt a lot from the setting up of Braehead over the past couple of years.

The one thing which might be key despite seeming unimportant is the use of the name Wembley instead of London. 'London' is just too generic a name and people I have spoken to in London prefer to be associated with a particular borough.

The one factor Wembley has that both Docklands and Lea Valley didn't is its location mainly for travelling fans.

Right side of London for both Cardiff and Coventry who could become a London teams closest rivals.

Also the M1 is close by which is good for Notts, Sheff and Hull.

As Koop mentioned cost of the arena will be key. Black as I understand has said the arena would be configured for 6000 fans similar to NIC.

Perhaps there is a deal being struck for the cost initially? This rumour seems to have gathered pace and I feel we may see something. The main thing is wether a new team can survive.

Also around the arena and stadium a lot of regeneration has happened with London Outlets opening this year a massive shopping mall, hotels lots of restaurants and hotels all opened too.

Could almost be a perfect location for a playoff weekend :D