New Netminder - Phil Cook

ASHIPP

It wasn't just the quality of saves but the variety too. At one point the puck bounced off a head flick from our new goalie. In the triple save in p2 he was sprawled in reverse inside the goal itself and managed to block the puck by quickly moving his arm to block the side of the net. In p3 he wowed us with a rolling body glove save in the middle of frantic bodies usguping around the net. He must be incredibly fit to cover those positions.was so impressed with Phil's composure under periods of pressure from the Steelers.

Steelers' fans strugging it off by saying their players had limited SOG so Cookie can't be judged.....think that speaks volumes about our entire defensive unit and Steelers' lack of creativity don't you?

I

Koop11

Best debut I have seen since Jeff Ulmer in Coventry (although of course Saturday night away to Sheffield was in theory was his debut).

Very unorthodox goalie. Reminded me of Dominic Hasek with his head saves and dancing around on his back. Outstanding goaltending last night. Full of variety and athleticism.

His attitude is what is most exciting about him. If what I heard was true about how he approached the club then it’s great to know that we have someone who wants to play so badly. It takes a great attitude to leave your family the week before Christmas and travel so many miles just to get on the ice for a club who have a well documented history for all the wrong reasons also, especially this season. He’s an unknown young lad who wants a shot. As a mate put it to me, could have the making of a Rocky film.

Let’s not get too excited though. We don’t want to put added pressure on the lad and I can’t see him performing quite to that level every single game but if he can produce close to that most games then we will certainly compete with anyone in this league.

Those Steelers fans may have a point with the lack of shots. Game sheet for Saturday shows he faced a measly 28 shots and achieved a save percentage of .857. Last night he is recorded as having faced a paltry 41 shots with a fairly amateurish save percentage of .976.

I don't think I need to say any more than that! :)

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk

ASHIPP

Martynwo said:
Sheincar said:
So Cook contacted Pope; not Pope recruited Cook.
Nothing wrong with that. If I'm out of work, I don't wait for the phone to ring, I search what companies need my skills and apply.
Admirable under any circumstances. Got to respect someone who wants work so badly. Hopefully Cookie will enjoy it here and so far the fans are enjoying his performance.

Think last night he out-Zemlaked Zemlak himself!

ASHIPP said:
Martynwo said:
Sheincar said:
So Cook contacted Pope; not Pope recruited Cook.
Nothing wrong with that. If I'm out of work, I don't wait for the phone to ring, I search what companies need my skills and apply.
Admirable under any circumstances. Got to respect someone who wants work so badly. Hopefully Cookie will enjoy it here and so far the fans are enjoying his performance.

Think last night he out-Zemlaked Zemlak himself!
Agree with above comments 100%. Churchill said "do not strike when the iron is hot, make it hot by striking". Welcome Cookie and Happy Christmas to all posters.

Ocko

It's also nice to have a player that really, really wants to be here. I have no doubt that all players are professionals and give it their all when they're on the ice but most come here having already played a higher level and are here for education, travel, prolong their careers for an extra year etc. Not many come here young and with a big point to prove with the hope of earning their contract. All our imports are already pros usually and have made it as minor pros before coming here. I can't really remember having a player like Cook in a Devils jersey. It's quite refreshing.

drainage

wildthing74 said:
Right I was pretty sure last night but tonight I've seen enough. He will do for me lets just make sure Shawn Limpwrist gets nowhere near him.

Awesome,just awesome.I don't recall a better home debut by any Devils player in any position for years.Last guy I recall the whole crowd going home buzzing about was Steve Cadieux.

Keep the good work up Mr Cook and hopefully we can finally move forward with a good and fit goalie.Dan was a massive hole to fill but fingers crossed we sone how managed it :D
I loved Steve Cadieux! And Mr Cook is certainly determined to impress well done to that man !

osh

Nott Simpson said:
Trent Andison 1992/3 - Cornell University is one Devil who came via College hockey
Aaaahh, poor old Trent and Brad eh? Remember Trent tripping over the blue line at an intro and as for Brad, he was told to improve or else, next game he got man of the match and was then gassed by JL. Both left very early to be replaced by that very ordinary combination of Ruggles and Cadieux, and what did they ever achieve eh ? ;)

Yes, some of those great names just trip off the tongue don't they.........Andison, Millette, Gillingham,
etc :lol:

Gazza272

I think the best Summary of Phil is that we have found a goalie who will give us a chance to win. That is pretty much all we could have hoped for at this time of year.

However there are serious glimpses of potential and with his attitude I am sure Phil can soak up knowledge from Lacosta like a sponge for the remaining year.