New Rink by Nov 2011

Thread starter #2
"If I have my way, it will have a dual pad. The City of Cardiff is ready for that. From the financial perspective, a dual pad makes a whole lot of sense." quote

I like this bit - A LOT

This was posted on a video about a week ago wasnt it? There was also a big topic on how a dual pad would be better for us, one for public use and practice and one for the games etc etc

Thread starter #4
sorry - missed that one - its moved to page 2 now so didn't see it when I was searching.

I just hope it is true - I take me son to hockey camps at Ice Sheffield twice a year - you can't beat 2 pads and plenty of changing rooms.

Ger-Devils

Chris said:
Just can't see it happening to be honest, especially by November of next year.

Chris.
Surprising how quick flat packs arenas go up. Look at city's! The only slow process is the structure then it's up within weeks and then biggest part is the outfit. Would be nice to see a wall of current and ex players photos up on the walls around the arena

Wannabe2

Well i know this dont mean sod all, but our gaff was only built to last 3-5yrs, and the 5yrs are up then, so really it should happen. Everything is supposed to be happening, and planet ice new contract will be up then, hopefully we will have some definate news either way soon, if the Council are not forcoming, they can expect one HELL of a visit from SORAC, of which they have never experienced before. We meant business last time to get our present gaff, and they didnt want to upset anyone, so if they have any sense at all they wont want to rub us up the wrong way. Theres one thing and that is we will be ready for them.

wildthing74

Like the fighting talk Wannabe and that is totally right.The city deserves a proper replacement and we can't get treated like the simmers did when they knocked down the Empire pool.

Wannabe2

wildthing74 said:
Like the fighting talk Wannabe and that is totally right.The city deserves a proper replacement and we can't get treated like the simmers did when they knocked down the Empire pool.
Yea the SIMMERS werent happy, and us FINS wont stind fur it. ;) ;) ;)

Finny

Ger-Devils said:
Surprising how quick flat packs arenas go up. Look at city's! The only slow process is the structure then it's up within weeks and then biggest part is the outfit. Would be nice to see a wall of current and ex players photos up on the walls around the arena
I too was shocked how quickly the new City Stadium went up. Each week you went you could notice how much work had been done on it.

Can anyone remember how long our current Tent took to be built? It was supposed to be much quicker because it was delayed due to poor choice of people to build it - e.g. one of the arches falling over and having to be replaced.

Something in the back of my head also makes me think that the new rink won't be built on the site of the current tent, but to the side? So it would be possible to stat building the new rink whilst still using our current tent.

Also, wasn't there talk of some of the Sports Village being used by other countries to train during the 2012 Olympics? If so - then it would definately need to be built by the start of 2012 at least.

Hockey Mum said:
sorry - missed that one - its moved to page 2 now so didn't see it when I was searching.

I just hope it is true - I take me son to hockey camps at Ice Sheffield twice a year - you can't beat 2 pads and plenty of changing rooms.
I have to agree, if we could have something like Sheffields dual pad it would be amazing, that place is fantastic, one side Ice Hockey other public skating and figure skating, excellent chaning rooms, and dont get me started on the public toilets wow, clean warm with proper handryers, Dyson blade :lol: . Back on a serious note, we deserve a new rink.

wildthing74

Wannabe2 said:
wildthing74 said:
Yea the SIMMERS werent happy, and us FINS wont stind fur it. ;) ;) ;)
I need to go back to school I think. :D

Wannabe2

Puckaholic said:
Hockey Mum said:

I have to agree, if we could have something like Sheffields dual pad it would be amazing, that place is fantastic, one side Ice Hockey other public skating and figure skating, excellent chaning rooms, and dont get me started on the public toilets wow, clean warm with proper handryers, Dyson blade :lol: . Back on a serious note, we deserve a new rink.
Think you mean Nottingham.

Ger-Devils

Finny said:
Ger-Devils said:
I too was shocked how quickly the new City Stadium went up. Each week you went you could notice how much work had been done on it.

Can anyone remember how long our current Tent took to be built? It was supposed to be much quicker because it was delayed due to poor choice of people to build it - e.g. one of the arches falling over and having to be replaced.

Something in the back of my head also makes me think that the new rink won't be built on the site of the current tent, but to the side? So it would be possible to stat building the new rink whilst still using our current tent.

Also, wasn't there talk of some of the Sports Village being used by other countries to train during the 2012 Olympics? If so - then it would definately need to be built by the start of 2012 at least.
I heared the rink will be built on the carpark so away from the tent now. Will be interesting to see how they work the car park though

James

Administrator
Not sure if its meant to be on the carpark itself or the land behind it between the rink and Morrisons that you drive through if you take the back exit of the carpark. I assume thats where it is anyway.
Means IceRaider will have even less of a walk to the rink ;)

It would have to be built alongside the tent. Even if construction started the day after the last home game of the season, there's no way that they could decommission the tent and complete the new rink by the start of the next season. That's not to mention the other people who would use the rink in the off-season, the figure skaters, public skaters, learn to play program etc.

ASHIPP

There is mention of a dual pad from Matt Burge. Would it mean that a new building incorporating a bigger ice surface would be erected at the side of the existing one, whilst the Blue Tent still operates - and at a later stage, improve and incorporate/attach the Blue Tent as part of that complex? :?

Wannabe2 said:
Puckaholic said:
Hockey Mum said:

Think you mean Nottingham.

Nope definately Sheffield, they have the Steelers home and they also have a dual pad, all within walking distance of each other...well from the dual pad you can see the Steelers home from across the park !! And it a fantastic facility, if Cardiff plans anything like this Im going to be very happy indeed !! :D