Newbie says Hello!

Thread starter #1
Hi guys, yes I'm from Swansea... :oops: :mrgreen:

I'm a big hockey fan though and have been up to watch a couple of games in the past and have always enjoyed. Anyway with the start of the new season I'm really going to try and see games more regularly and follow the Devils closely. Providing I can get a babysitter I'll be going on Saturday!

Quick question, what's the match night live text thing all about?? How can I get it?

Cheers all,

Matt

Finny

Matt_Swansea said:
Hi guys, yes I'm from Swansea... :oops: :mrgreen:
Boooooooooooooooooo!!!!!!!!!

You're lucky you've got a moderator from down west too else I'd have banned you straight away.

Match Night Live is a 'live' commentary text service we provide online. The service runs with the help of people going to games and texting comments and updates to the MNL operator who uploads them to the website.

Finny

A couple of day before the game a thread will be started and their will be a link to it. It's free to use so you don't need to sign up for it or do anything before the actual game.

Chris

Administrator
What Finny and Scott said :)

Welcome to the website and forums :D

You can see an archive of the old Match Night live! coverages here --> http://www.the-inferno.co.uk/archive/

Unfortunately (or maybe fortunately? :p) the score for the latest game is wrong, we've been making improvements over the past couple of months to keep us online with the steadily increasing traffic, but Sundays crowd was far bigger than expected for the text service :)

Threads on the forums usually go up towards the end of the week to cover the games, we'll stick a link in there for Match Night Live! and also the email address.

Chris.

wildthing74

Dare you to wear a Cardiff shirt down west.That will show what a fan you are :D.Fairplay to you,being a city fan all my life as well you would not catch me supporting a Swansea team.Be a good idea for you to keep that bit about you quiet in your home town.Welcome and when you are next down you can make a day of it and watch the city as well.

TheStub

Welcome aboard matey. Nice to have a fellow Westie on here :D

I'm from Llanelli (although I am currently doing missionary work in Scunthorpe - soon moving back). My sister (who occasionally posts on here, very occasionally mind) lives up in Cockett.

And, we both regularly wear Devils jersey's. It is only football fans that ever even bother to mention it. :lol:

When I get back down, which is hopefully the end of October, we can have a look at sharing lifts if you like - I have no doubt my lot will be making every effort to attend a load of home games this season.

Just a question do you think that the majority of fans come from outside Cardiff? because when i go down the tent there does seem to be a lot of non cardiff accents down there.

James

Administrator
Batman said:
Just a question do you think that the majority of fans come from outside Cardiff? because when i go down the tent there does seem to be a lot of non cardiff accents down there.
Large sections of Cardiff don't have a Cardiff accent.

TheStub

It always seems to me that the majority of fans are Cardiff area, but there are a few who travel.

After all, if you want ice hockey then it has to be Cardiff in South Wales. Which is why I have little issue supporting a Cardiff team. Swansea don't have a team, and therefore I am Cardiff bound.

Have to admit, if Swansea gained a team (there has been mutterings for years about a rink) then it may be difficult. Although, I am a Devil through and through now. They've had years of my life, and it would be difficult to switch.

It would be ideal to have an EPL side in Cardiff and Elite side in Swansea :p No derby's, but they could act as another set of feeders for each other.

the whole cardiff not liking swansea thing is only football, supporting the devils is not about what part of the country you support but the country itself. its about suporting a welsh team end of. so dont be embarressed to say you'r not from cardiff but you support the devils because it doesnt really matter :D

Thread starter #16
cheers for comments!!

My baby is just over a year old, she wouldn't keep still long enough and I wouldnt be able to watch the game.

My son will be going to his first game on Saturday though. Really looking forward now!

Nothing wrong with Port Talbot btw!!

As for Swansea, I know there's been talking about having a rink but if it was going to happen it would've been when they rebuild the leisure centre. It don't think they'd be able to sustain a hockey team here either.

I have actually emailed someone at the Devils about looking into the possibilty of running a hockeybus or something from Swansea (llanelli even) and pick ups en route to games. It'd be nice to see them do something to engage followers from further-afield. Despite the Cardiff-Swansea rivalry, which is football based, the Devils are the only option for any hockey fan.

Matt_Swansea said:
cheers for comments!!

Despite the Cardiff-Swansea rivalry, which is football based, the Devils are the only option for any hockey fan.
Totally agree. I have been watching the devils now for 7 years (god its flown) and I've worn my hockey shirt out after games etc and get no problems :D

When the swansea rink was mentioned, someone asked me if hockey came to Swansea (ehil) what would I do. Ofcourse I would rather Swansea for distance but I'm devils through and through and would still travel to Cardiff.

TheStub said:
Have to admit, if Swansea gained a team (there has been mutterings for years about a rink) then it may be difficult. They've had years of my life, and it would be difficult to switch.
If Merthyr ever had a team, I could never start supporting them over Cardiff. I could never ever change what team I support in any sport! I'd like my local team (and Welsh teams in general) to do well and I'd go if Cardiff weren't playing but Cardiff would always come first.

TheStub said:
I'm from Llanelli (although I am currently doing missionary work in Scunthorpe - soon moving back).
And there was me thinking I was the only Devils fan (appart from my house mate) living in Squeelers back yard!!! Ha Ha!! We are up in Doncaster for hockey related reasons. If you ever fancy catching a Devils away match or two, give me a shout.

xx