NHL thread ***SPOILER ALERT***MATCH RESULTS INSIDE***

steve

Thread starter #1
NHL talk in here. Discuss scores as you see fit in here, but please be careful to mention game results in other threads as many of us (me included) watch games as-live and don't want to know the score.

Was surprised to see Boston win at Washington last night. Crazy league these days, no match is a foregone conclusion anymore. Lot of away wins so far this season too so it's shaping up rather nicely I say. Some of the big guns have been really inconsistent such as NJ Devils, Pittsburgh and the Canucks. My team montreal are solid at the moment, some surprises in Toronto, Tampa and Dallas to an extent. The Kings and Ducks look to be the best of the west at the moment at least.

zoesdevil

Tampa got beat 6-0 by florida the other day aswell and the bolts fans were not happy!! My girlfriend, her dad and me are going to watch Tampa Bay vs NY Rangers in November whilst we are visitng America!! Hopefully it'll be a great game!!

TheStub

To be honest, I hope the Devils win a game soon. I don't see much wrong, we are getting insane numbers of shots but our D looks poor (this is NJ ffs) and our forwards can't find the back of the net.

Looks like my fears over signing Kovy are coming true. We are left really short benched, with a huge lack of talent and experience in the lower orders. We have one exceptional line, one great line and then one or two (dependent on game) mediocre lines.

I'd like to see Parise and Kovy split up. At the moment, you know who to put your checking unit out against. But I wouldn't split the old timers line, that is formidable - and after that we rapidly run out of real talent who can keep up.

I just hope some of these young guns we have called up from the AHL prove themselves and give us that mix that we need to win within the cap.

Trust me stub, you'll get the win thu night at the bell centre. We've won two in a row, three on the spin is a bit too much of a walk on the wild side for les habs

TheStub

You obviously haven't seen how the Devils have been playing.

I have watched every game so far this season - and it is more than painful. We outshoot the Avs 17-3 and go into the break 0-1 down???

We fluked an OT win against Buffalo. Unless the coaching staff can start imposing their system soon, I wonder if we'll even make the playoffs.

Mind you, I thought the same with our home form at the start of last season. But conference title again.

Can't help feeling the Kovy money could have bought a few more marque players, allowed us to keep Martin, and look to Parise, Zajac and Green to be the faces of the franchise going forward. I think Zack may be the player they think they are buying in Kovy. If it were up to me, I would have let the Kings have him and saddle them with the huge cap hit.

It's been tough for the devils no doubt. I saw the Avelanche game on espn (even though Montreal v buffalo was supposed to be on - what happened there?!) and whilst it's not clicking at the moment and the lack of depth is major concern I feel that this match in Montreal is going to kick start you season. We (habs) have played well on the road winning at the sabres and pens but have struggled at home with a loss to Tampa and an unconvincing win against Ottawa. Carey Price clearly is nervous playing at home as he doesn't look anywhere near as good as when away from home. I hope I'm wrong but I have a feeling this game is not going to suit us.

What is going on with your NJ Devils stub? Brodeur turns it on in Montreal as I feared and you pick up a nice road win, then a major fail last night by getting trounced by Buffalo. Habs back in business at Ottawa - good win, again Price outstanding on the road.

Was hoping this thread would be more active judging by the number of NHL jerseys at the rink on gamenights. Having said that, this is a devils fansite first and foremost so understandable that people prefer to talk devils!

TheStub

It is just a bit depressing for a NJ fan. We can't string 2 wins together, even when outshooting our opponents by silly amounts. Add to this our key players are falling like flys leaving us fielding a 50% AHL team, but we a crammed so tight against the wage cap by the Russian white elephant we will struggle to bring guys in.

Speaking of Kovy, what an awful signing he is looking. I didn't like him in a Devils uniform last season. He doesn't suit our style of play, and his two way game is awful. So far he has cost us more goals than he has scored, floundering around center ice thinking he is better than he is. We should have let LA get lumbered with the cap hit, and looked to get a couple of hungry guys who have a decent 2 way game. That is Devils hockey, the team are responsible at the back and then create chances on the break.

I just hope Parise is back soon, and some of these kids we've called up hit their stride and show Kovy hockey Devils style.

TheStub

Yet again, Jersey outshoot Vancover and somehow get blanked.

At least we wont go out of the playoffs early, we wont get that far!

TheStub

Well, the Devils are slightly on the up - our first back to back wins of the season... and 3 straight at home. But, 2 of those are penalty shoot-out wins. Not looking very clever then.

Plus, the rumors are circling. Elias a potential for trade if things don't turn around???? So, we bring in a guy for a stupid amount who so far has scored 4 goals and lose our all time point scorer, who has arguably had more effect on every game this season.

Plus, what will it mean for us keeping Parise and Zajac going forward? We are losing what I would think of as true franchise players to get in a superstar who seems to not be living up to his billing.

Saying that, Kovy is playing better now - making more plays and getting more into the Devils systems. But I will take a lot of convincing to think of him as a Devils player.

TheStub

And now I have finally watched the Calgary games - what is the point of Kovy. NO shots on goal!!! OK, he scores the winning penalty shot, but Hedburg won that shoot-out. We need a star player to step up and be a star player. For me, the best forwards are, without a doubt, Arnott, Elias and Tedenby - with the rookies looking better than the "star". Gionatta is definitely doing a good job on that 4th line, and Zuburus and Clarkson still look dangerous.

Anyone fancy taking Kovy? He will be lucky to get 10 goals the way he is playing... selfish and careless.

TheStub

I beg to differ :lol:

NJ really will struggle to make the playoffs at this rate. The 5-0 Caps thrashing aside, all the wins have been scraped out, in most cases Devils looking like the worse team. I think it may be time to make Johnny Mac step back and give him a few more seasons to learn the rope.

If I read one more Johnny Mac quote where he claims to not know what the problem is, I'll scream :lol: if he doesn't know, we need someone who does.

TheStub

OK, explain to me how NJ have outshot the Rags almost 3-1 and yet trail 2-1 after 2 periods.

Mind you, this is probably the best they have played all season. If we take that out of this game we may get a run at that 8th spot.

Coach change doing the trick perhaps?

kettdevil1

I only caught the highlights but the netminding for NJ looked pretty brutal. Strange to say it but Brodeur is beginning to look like a liability.

I would suggest that LeMaire's first task is to either get Brodeur's confidence back or replace him. Then he can move on to Kovy and solve that engima (possibly by booting him out?) finally the rest of the team need to look a little more interested.

See this coaching lark is easy!

Now to solve Calgary's problems...

TheStub

kettdevil1 said:
I only caught the highlights but the netminding for NJ looked pretty brutal. Strange to say it but Brodeur is beginning to look like a liability.

I would suggest that LeMaire's first task is to either get Brodeur's confidence back or replace him. Then he can move on to Kovy and solve that engima (possibly by booting him out?) finally the rest of the team need to look a little more interested.

See this coaching lark is easy!

Now to solve Calgary's problems...
Not too sure on the Marty thing. He, and Hedburg, have been the most consistent players on the Devils this season. I think in the last 6 games they can only take responsibility for 2 or 3 of the 20+ goals. The D have just been woeful... once he learns to trust them again, he will be better.

Yes, he will want that first goal back - but after that he settled and was as solid as ever. The elbow redirect was just an insane fluke.

If they post a few more performances like that, then the whole team spirit will rise and we will see them becoming the team they are on paper. Loosing when you should have won will smart, but it probably feels a lot better than being totally destroyed all over the ice.