Nottingham Panthers Vs Cardiff Devils - Challenge Cup Final

august04

Re: Nottingham Panthers Vs Cardiff Devils - Challenge Cup Fi

DevilDom said:
august04 said:
DevilDom said:
Think I must have watched a different game to some of the people who stayed at home and watched it on the TV.

What I saw today in Sheffield was a team low on confidence and on a terrible run battle their hearts out against a stacked panthers team and took them right to the wire. Bowns was fantastic but so we the majority of the D. Panthers may have heavily out shot Devils but the quality of a lot of those shots was low. Did the best team on the day win? Yes they did but there was no lack of effort from the Devils. For me the Panthers were relentless and their 4 lines gradually wore down our 3 to the point that they had little left to give in OT.

Very proud of the effort today and proud to be a Devils fan.
It often amazes me how different we all see the game based on where and how we watch. Not being at the arena means things are often seen in the cold light of day, rather than getting caught up in the emotion of the game (plus less beers might effect that too!). I thought the effort was there for the most part, we were just outplayed by a much better team at this moment in time. I disagree that a lot of their shots were low quality. Bowns made some high quality saves, there were very few easy shots from the outside, and Panthers hit the post 2 or 3 times as well. Too many turnovers and our transition from the defensive zone was poor again. What we can't get away from is the way the Devils have plummeted in recent weeks. This is a team which has topped the table for a large part of the season, has beaten the likes of Nottingham a few times this year, has gone toe to toe with the best that the EIHL has to offer and for the most part, come out on top. We shouldn't have an inferiority complex when we play teams like Nottingham. If we have that, then something is wrong. We should be expecting to win, instead of trying not to lose. Yes, they are stacked but so are we and it's not like we're an underdog, mid table team coming up against the league leaders. We're a shadow of that team of just a few weeks ago at the moment, the lines are still all over the place, we're getting outplayed and outmuscled regularly and with seemingly no way of turning things around. It's truly baffling. I wonder if having spare imports has hindered rather than helped us, with the uncertainty around selection that this can bring? Who knows. I just hope somehow, we can get out of this slump - perhaps the IAW move will help with that.
A couple of points - I was in the arena but my opinion was not affected by beer as I was driving. I could claim your opinion was affected by the commentary on the TV but I'm sure you are intelligent enough to draw your own conclusions just like I am.

We were under a lot of pressure and as result often struggled to get out of our zone but you have to give credit to panthers for that as their forechecking was immense, however when you have 4 lines with the quality they have you can play with that energy. No inferiority complex that is a fact - a 4th checking line of Farmer, Janssen & Lawrence is an amazing asset to have in this league and was a huge factor in why we were out muscled.

We have had a dip in form and confidence has suffered as a result. A few guys are really struggling and we don't have the depth to carry players, however I thought we went back to basics last night and put in a decent battling performance. Hopefully the team can take something from that and the confidence will begin to return.
Influenced by Seth Bennett and Thommo?! No chance....

we lack character players imo.
Do we have any players that away fans hate as much as we hate:
Belfast- Keefe,Lloyd
Blaze- Noble-Valabik
Steelers- Fitzy, Desbiens (and a few more)
Panthers- that 4th line
We have had these type of players in the past but for me not this season, does it make a difference?
A stand out "franchise" player?
For me when you think of the above teams you think of those players mentioned!?
We have missed having a captain, a role which I think Lord as taken on as well as coaching, as he seems to be the only one who could potentially take the game by the balls.
Also whilst very skilled and speedy I feel we lack size going forward, Hervato plays like he is 6'6 and Salters plays like he is 5'6. A big disappointment for me the big man!!
There are others who I think burnt bridges last night.

ASHIPP

Plagued with many injuries this season, Panthers finally were able to ice a full quota of imports only a few weeks ago. Previously they had relied upon their depth in British players to pull them through. Ironically Neilson has been criticised all season by fans for messing with line combinations...but now he's found the right formula. I would wxpect them to go on to the playoff final and finish top 3 in the league.

Our Guys desperately need a win to get their confidence back on track. A combination of lack of confidence, overthinking things and the sheer physicality of the Panthers was too much yesterday. No criticism of our Guys' efforts though. To get to a final is testament of their ability...they need the mental toughness to nail the big games though.

Hopefully Lordo and Franny will take a lot away from yesterday. With increased import quota next season the Devils could invest in an effective physical 4th line, increaae their depth with a top British forward...and Lordo might have the opportunity to go to the bench where he needs to be to see the game sometimes instead of trying to manage several roles. It's impossible.

osh

The reason Nottingham were able to roll with 4 lines is simple. They have more quality Brits than we do, pure and simple. Our quality Brits, Bowns, Batch and Richardson are as good as , if not better than their counterparts in other teams. Where we lack, in order to make up 4 lines, is the fact we need another 3 quality Brits ( perhaps 1 D and 2 forwards ) who play on regular lines, not like Jones and Piggot who only get very minimal ice time. I certainly hope Lord learns from this and gets his Brit contingent sorted out for next season.

bb1

Ocko said:
Gutted to not hold onto the cup but I can't fault any player for effort.

Positives from tonight: Hendrikx, despite being the usual target to 'rest' played a faultless game. Bowns played one of the best games you'll ever see from a British NM.

Things to work on: that 4th line on Nottingham's. Absolutely brilliant. Janssen, Lawrence and Farmer are probably the 3 players who Devils fans hate the most and sadly they were the most influential. They all hit absolutely everything, in particular Janssen. They wore us down and had every player looking over their shoulder and reluctant to go into the corners. Fans give him stick but boy is Janssen effective; he's everything most people wanted in Salters. We really need a proper fourth line and not players who can slot in.
Absolutely spot on.
Hendo was superb. He's a D man and plays as a d man never getting caught up ice leaving us vulnerable.
As for that Nottingham line they had a few of our guys petrified. That shift they put together in the first period was one of the best hard hitting shifts I've seen in a long long time. Something we have been lacking all year yet we have a few players more than capable of doing it.
Shame as we battled hard but hot completely outmuscled and out classed in every department other than net minding.
This loss is an easy one to accept for those reasons. Well played Panthers

Kipper

Point is there are a lot of good teams in the league this year and we have no divine right to win. The effort was huge but we were beaten by a better team that has finally got it's act together and rolling 4 excellent lines is a huge challenge to compete against. By hell did we compete from start to finish. They gave us no time on the puck at all and that is a massive advantage of rolling 4 good lines as there was no let up. Panthers forechecking was top class.

Better team won. We move on. That's sport.

As a panthers fan my views were

1 panthers were the better team on the day
2 Devils worked their socks off but struggled once they got into panthers zone
3 Browns was superb not like Friday night
4 our 4th line made all the difference.
5 I watched it on my iPad and thought the organisation and presentation off the game was crap
6 that dickhead to move commentating was awful-- spent more time talking about squeelers every chance he could
Let's hope u it top form now cause I cannot stomach the thought of those knobs in Sheffield winning the league or playoffs.
Good luck
/

Sheincar

bb1 said:
Ocko said:

Positives from tonight: Hendrikx, despite being the usual target to 'rest' played a faultless game. Bowns played one of the best games you'll ever see from a British NM.

Things to work on: that 4th line on Nottingham's. Absolutely brilliant. Janssen, Lawrence and Farmer are probably the 3 players who Devils fans hate the most and sadly they were the most influential. They all hit absolutely everything, in particular Janssen. They wore us down and had every player looking over their shoulder and reluctant to go into the corners. Fans give him stick but boy is Janssen effective; he's everything most people wanted in Salters. We really need a proper fourth line and not players who can slot in.
Absolutely spot on.
Hendo was superb. He's a D man and plays as a d man never getting caught up ice leaving us vulnerable.
As for that Nottingham line they had a few of our guys petrified. That shift they put together in the first period was one of the best hard hitting shifts I've seen in a long long time. Something we have been lacking all year yet we have a few players more than capable of doing it.
Shame as we battled hard but hot completely outmuscled and out classed in every department other than net minding.
Hendo has played well this season & I've felt gutted for him being the 1 player often left out. For me, some of our D are too offensively minded, not producing at that end at the moment, and then out of position when they lose the puck.

Ocko

I think the Panthers have the model that most teams will follow in the coming seasons. Too much has been made of having every line stacked with scoring, we in particular have this but it's no use if you are repeatedly out muscled to the puck.

I'd prefer no spare imports next year and being back Myers and Ben Davies. With the extra import allowed next season you could have Myers, Haddad((?)our most physical player) and a tough guy who can skate, but doesn't need to be a 40 point a year player. Your fourth line isn't there to light up the scoring charts.

Ocko

Sheincar said:
bb1 said:
Ocko said:

Absolutely spot on.
Hendo has played well this season & I've felt gutted for him being the 1 player often left out. For me, some of our D are too offensively minded, not producing at that end at the moment, and then out of position when they lose the puck.
Agree. He has been one of the most consistent players this season. I can't remember many instances where he's cost us goals, which I can for every other D man on the team.

Wannabe2

Hendrikx would be my first signing for next season, this man plays for the shirt, he ain't flashy, he just goes about doing his job, and does it very well. A real Devil through and through.

august04

In my opinion, the coaching team has got it wrong with Hendrikx. I assume because he's the least mobile D man, that he's the one that's been constantly left out. For me, he'd be one of the first names on the game sheet every time. He defends, that's his job. He struggled with Marsh during the early part of the season but that was just the wrong match up but Batch and Hendrikx have been great together. Culligan too - I feel we've missed him on the forward lines, when he's playing D - while other forwards seem untouchable in the rotation stakes. We froze Mychan out last year too. It's the wrong way to handle squad rotation and I believe effects team morale too. You're better off not carrying spare(s) if it's the same guy missing out constantly and you're not resting others. Thankfully, there appears to have been a shift in policy but perhaps a little too late. At least the effort was there last night, can't deny that and I still think we can turn this around and be competing for the title in that final game against the Panthers. 3 games against the Giants will be tough but I'd rather be playing them 3 times than the Steelers or the Panthers. We've done well in Belfast this year and I think we can get 2 wins home wins with an IAW boost, perhaps with a lot of luck, even sneak a 3rd in Belfast. 4 wins may be enough to win the league still. Too early to be talking about next year but I will say that I hope the Devils organisation get Lord some more help and experience in the coaching stakes. He can't do everything.

ASHIPP

Hendrkx and Haddad were both excellent yesterday....just as they were in last year's C C final.

Both have been on winning teams before, both have been either a captain or alternate captain before.

If (hopefully) both players return next season, the choice of new Devils' captain is right there.

To those fans on this forum not wanting spare import cover, I say be careful what you wish for. It wasn't long ago that we moaned that our injured players couldn't be replaced. Remember the likes of Stuart Macrae and others double shifting and coming off ice totally exhausted. If our owners are generous enough to finance spares, how lucky are we!
The players are professionals and I am sure trust in Lord's judgement.
I am as disappointed as any Devils fan at yesterday's result. The journey back from Sheffield seemed 10 times longer than last year.
On the plus side, we could be in the same position as Edinburgh, and I for one would much rather lose to Nottingham than Sheffield or Belfast any day.

backrow

It's a shame that the extra import came down to a Culligan / Hendrix or big ice / small ice decision down the stretch. Hendrix is a stay at home defenceman who provides a strong physical element in his play and can be very intimidating.

Culli is a hybrid D, certainly able to rush the puck but not getting caught out of position. In all his league games on D since the shutout in Sheffield he was on for only 1 goal against and that was in the Fife game. He also does not make turnovers but gets his head up and makes a good first pass. I don 't think making blanket statements about the number of turnovers by the D and their inability to get the puck out of their own end recognizes his strong play in this aspect of the game. However, I agree that he brings those same elements into play as a forward.

I honestly feel that in many games lately Culligan and Batch deserved more ice time and that the other D got tired and made careless mistakes as a result of their minutes played. Especially after a penalty kill when players have to work extra hard they can use a break to recharge but they are often right back out. I know line matching is involved but a tired D pair doesn't really match up that well at times.

Yesterday's game was a great turn around performance and the players deserve accolades for their effort. If the Devils can continue that same type of effort down the stretch good things should happen.

Our power play needs tweaking as teams are just packing the slot area and blocking shots on us right now. I'd also like to see more shots low and on the net when our forwards are driving to the net to hopefully produce some rebounds and second chances instead of the all too frequent shots that are high and wide triggering the other team's breakout. That happened a couple of times yesterday.

Koop11

Congratulations to Nottingham. Worthy winners of the CC with a dominant performance. Their fore check from the off dictated the game and had our defence looking over its shoulder and forcing errors. A very solid game on their part.

For us it was a very disappointing performance. A lot of so called big players looked very lack lustered. I think the general team effort was there but mental game was shot from the opening face off. A sign of a team with no confidence right now as this implosion continues. We couldn't break out of our end. We lost a large proportion of important face offs. The first 6mins off PP saw 0 shots on goal. Our first shot on goal came after 11mins (que the ironic cheers from Devils fans). Our decision making was erratic. It was pretty dire all round.

Positives were that we played so badly yet forced the game into OT, giving us an opportunity to snatch the game and doing so by not conceding. That was however down to pretty much one man - Mr Ben Bowns. Incredible goal tending.

I was pleased to see Hendrix get the start. I appreciate his pace may sometimes hinder him on large ice but he is a stone cold blueliner that plays it simple in his own end and has a great first pass. Why he keeps getting dropped, when there are more obvious underperforming players is beyond me.

I thought Kurka, Doucett and Russell were our best threats but the Panthers defence rubbed them off the puck quite easily. Our lack of forecheck once again gave the opposition the time to position themselves comfortably.

We move on. The CC is done. No hangover this year. We should be hungrier then ever to take this league title and I hope Lord and the coaching staff have us battle ready for this forthcoming weekend. Our first game in our new home against fellow title contenders and a team we love to hate. Lets do this!

KaneDevils

We lost the vast majority of face offs.
Our transition from D was poor.
Our puck possession in their zone almost non existent.
And we didn't look like scoring at all.
Oh and our passing poor.
Yet people are satisfied with the effort. Fair enough, but why are we being out everythinged, but a team 3 or 4 places below us in the league? Would fans still be praising the effort if it had of been 5 or 6 nil as it could of been quite easily. Some wonderful saves, and Panthers hitting the pipes twice for example.

And devildom, it comes across yet again that your being cynical towards those who didn't travel to the game. Think yourself lucky and perhaps drop the arrogance. We're all fans wether we watch from the rink or the armchair.

James

Administrator
Thread starter #78

KaneDevils said:
Would fans still be praising the effort if it had of been 5 or 6 nil as it could of been quite easily. Some wonderful saves, and Panthers hitting the pipes twice for example.
Not quite as the Panthers hit the pipes twice in the sudden death overtime which would have ended the game a few minutes early had one gone in. The thing is I guess, that we didn't loose 5 or 6 nil so the answer would probably be 'no'. Why on earth would people be as happy with a 5 or 6 nil defeat as a 1-0 defeat after 75 mins.

KaneDevils

James said:
KaneDevils said:
Would fans still be praising the effort if it had of been 5 or 6 nil as it could of been quite easily. Some wonderful saves, and Panthers hitting the pipes twice for example.
Not quite as the Panthers hit the pipes twice in the sudden death overtime which would have ended the game a few minutes early had one gone in. The thing is I guess, that we didn't loose 5 or 6 nil so the answer would probably be 'no'. Why on earth would people be as happy with a 5 or 6 nil defeat as a 1-0 defeat after 75 mins.
Yes but you know what I mean. If Panthers have of been more clinical, and scored 4 or 5, that wouldn't of changed our level of effort would it? I think people are being less critical because they beat us 6.1 two nights before. Ok. 1.0 after 70 odd minutes is an improvement, but we were still very average, in a cup final. Not good enough. We have to rectify this immediately or we will win nothing.

The only thing us Devils did better than panthers was sing louder than them!!
Atmosphere was amazing and we couldn't have done any more than we did.

The team sucked and lack any offence at all.
Defence I thought were solid and bowns was out of this world..

Our passing wasn't the best and to many turnovers and not enough face off wins.

You can see why cam janssenn was in the Nhl too he was unstoppable.
The amount of energy and hits he puts in was amazing.

Well done Nottingham :(