Number retiring

Thread starter #1
We have retired now 6 numbers Seven if you include Voth! that seems to me rather alot for a club thats been around less than 30 years! that is a jersey retired for every six years at the club! seems rather excessive! not saying a paticular player did not deserve them. I just feel there is rather alot of them and just seems there given out too easily

Temme

Having only been a fan since 2008, i can't really comment on the previous retirees...
Although Jason Stone deserves the retirement without doubt.

Could anyone enlighten me? Did the others deserve such a high honour?

DevilDom

I guess in the early years of a club being formed you are likely to have more numbers being retired because those players are perceived and very often do more to establish the club. In Today's game where players don't tend to stay at the same club for more than 2 or 3 years I think the chances of retiring a shirt are less.

Ocko

Having been around for all of them I don't think a case can be argued against most. But we do have a lot. My thoughts on each:

9 - Lawless is the reason the club exists, took us from the beginning to the top of UK hockey.

7 & 35 - adored and iconic players, both with the club for over 10 years.

19 - with us for 10 years but a gigantic contribution to UK hockey.

Along with Stoney I can't see anyone getting close to those years for the foreseeable future.

This will undoubtedly go down like a lead balloon with some but I was never sold on Dicksons Jersey retirement. Don't get me wrong an absolute tragedy and I feel bad writing this but he had left the club a few years prior to his his death and I always felt something more fitting would have been to name an award or something after him.

Wannabe2

Ocko said:
Having been around for all of them I don't think a case can be argued against most. But we do have a lot. My thoughts on each:

9 - Lawless is the reason the club exists, took us from the beginning to the top of UK hockey.

7 & 35 - adored and iconic players, both with the club for over 10 years.

19 - with us for 10 years but a gigantic contribution to UK hockey.

Along with Stoney I can't see anyone getting close to those years for the foreseeable future.

This will undoubtedly go down like a lead balloon with some but I was never sold on Dicksons Jersey retirement. Don't get me wrong an absolute tragedy and I feel bad writing this but he had left the club a few years prior to his his death and I always felt something more fitting would have been to name an award or something after him.
Fair comments there in fairness, but in comparison to Coventry etc we have it Sussed I reckon. They have Stephen Coopers shirt retired,who played his majority of yrs with us and Durham, and Also Hilton Ruggles who again played with us and Whitley. We haven't retired a shirt now for years, so Stoneys shirt, and Vothers shirt will be well deserved. Don't think we will retire another one for many a year, so let's enjoy the moment.

TheStub

Hopefully having a hall of fame will reduce any urging to retire jerseys. Unless we go to homered jerseys and others can still wear the numbers.

Wannabe2

TheStub said:
Hopefully having a hall of fame will reduce any urging to retire jerseys. Unless we go to homered jerseys and others can still wear the numbers.
In fairness Stub I don't think we have had any urgency to retire shirts, don't think we have retired one in 10yrs, maybe wrong there as age buggers up your memory, but I don't think we are off to the races on this subject. The days of players staying here 8,9, 10yrs are I think long gone, so myself I don't think it's a issue.

KaneDevils

Wannabe2 said:
TheStub said:
In fairness Stub I don't think we have had any urgency to retire shirts, don't think we have retired one in 10yrs, maybe wrong there as age buggers up your memory, but I don't think we are off to the races on this subject. The days of players staying here 8,9, 10yrs are I think long gone, so myself I don't think it's a issue.
Spot on I'd say.