O'connor leaves the Blaze

Gazza272

Thread starter #1
Thompson has today also confirmed that young British defenceman, Ben O’Connor has asked to be released from the second year of his two year contract and is believed to be heading back to the Edinburgh Capitals from where the Blaze signed him at the start of last season.

“I’m not going to hang on to a player who doesn’t want to be here,” concluded Thompson. “The second year of his contract gave him a twenty-five percent pay rise but he wanted even more than that. The bottom line is that I’m not going to have a gun held to my head by someone whose only motivation is to get more money and someone who has played just two years as a junior professional. The timing of his request has not surprised anyone here at the club. The sad thing is that I’ve let good team players go over the summer because Ben was under contract to come back. If I’d have known this earlier, I might have made different decisions. “

What British D men are left of o'connors standard that the Blaze can pick up now?

Gazza272

Thread starter #3
Chris Stone said:
Who's he let go though that he'd have kept?!

They haven't released many players have they?

Chris.

Jamieson i suppose is the main British guy they let go that could have played D that i can think of off of the top of my head.

My guess is now that Tom Watkins will move to D.

It's reasons why this that I worry about future of players like Ben Davies. If a deal goes south for a British guy from another team, that would be more than willing to pay over the odds for the few remaining British players; a wage large enough that they couldn't refuse.

Lets hope Ben makes his mind up soon

am glad symonds signed with Peterborough when he did, if Tommo had got hold of him, we may not have got him back to us in the future. I Know its a different thread, but good luck in Peterborough Alex! Not many good up and coming british D around.

ASHIPP

Several things strike me about this announcement.

1. I understand Thommo is angry,but O'Connor isn't the first player to leave a club mid-contract and won't be the last. He is angry that a player has decided to leave the club of his own volition (how dare he!) rather than the Blaze having control of the situation and making the announcement that he has been 'released'.

2. O'Connor has the right to consider his career prospects and development and he may not have been happy for other reasons - as someone else said on another thread that very often 'contracts are not worth the paper they are written on'.

3. If he wanted more than the 25% pay increase in his 2nd year, he surely must have accepted a poor contract in the first place. If, however, the pay increase meant he was earning better money and he still wasn't happy, it suggests to me he was very unhappy at the Blaze anyway. They weren't going to get the best out of him in that frame of mind.

4. As for Thommo's comments about having to release other players earlier in the Summer because O'Connor was on a 2 year contract, what a cheap shot at blaming that player for Thommo's (bad) decisions! :twisted: If Thommo felt those released players were that good, that valuable, that indispensable to the Club, why did he allow them to go in the first place? I'm sure there would have been a bit of leeway in the coffers to keep them...or were they asking for more money too?! :roll:

I salute the Giants' organisation for the professional way they acknowledged Stevie Lyle's move back to the Devils and his contribution to the Giants' success last season. What a difference. :D

Finny

On the positive side though JB will be pleased that another of their under-performing team from last year will be leaving them.

This could be a massive blow for the Blaze though. If we are to believe what is being said - sodastream was signed as a cheap 5th dman - with O'Connor going to be #4.

However, with no other good british defencemen available (that I can think of anyway) - assuming the Blaze continue with only 3 import D - Sodastream will now have to move up to #4 and Watkins a permanent #5.

Looks like their defence could be pretty weak again.

Gazza272 said:
Chris Stone said:
Who's he let go though that he'd have kept?!

They haven't released many players have they?

Chris.

Jamieson i suppose is the main British guy they let go that could have played D that i can think of off of the top of my head.

My guess is now that Tom Watkins will move to D.
Didn't Jamieson plan to go back to MK though for family or something, and to start up a business... I'm sure it was something like that.

I'd imagine Thommo would have re-signed Greg Wood for the 3rd line with Watkins moving to defence. I wouldn't panic though, when you have Greg Owen and Russ Cowley plus 6 imports, the 9th forward doesn't need to be anything too special so I'm confident Thommo will find the right man for the job. Perhaps Sharp :lol:

In regard to O'Connor, he was OK and one of the few decent British defencemen, but he was part of the poor Blaze defence last season so he can't be that great. Whilst it is nice to have a strong 5th defenceman, he isn't going to be a game-breaker.

ASHIPP

No doubt that Thommo will use his influence and find someone, even at this stage.Whether this player will be the 'right' person remains to be seen. And will having quality British players like Cowley and Owen really be quite enough to compensate for what might be a weaker defence without O'Connor or another Brit dman? And whilst J.B. says that O'Connor was part of a 'poor Blaze defence last season', had he accepted year2 of his contract, Thommo was still prepared to keep him so he must have been ok! Seems it's easy to blame the player for lots of things now he's gone. :twisted:

I'm in two minds on this one ... Ben has brilliant potential, he showed that, some of the goals he scored were sublime, the only thing he didn't do was use his size more...so i'm saddened to see him go.

But ...

As Thommo said, if a player doesn't want to be around, then its best there gone! and if he's more interested in money than learning from Thommo and players like Weaver and whoever our big #1 D man will be then thats his choice!

I have faith in Thommo that he shall find a replacement, whether or not he'll be to Ben's standards i doubt it but who knows

Maybe he's not just interested in money and wants to get more ice time and responsibility playing for the capitals.

I also think that the Coventry fans are going to be bitterly disappointed when their full squad is announced. I think they've already signed their top two defencemen, and would they really be able to afford Calder, Carson, Weaver, Wood, Cowley, Hirsch AND Fulghum? I wouldn't be surprised that 4 (maybe 5 players) out of that list would be in the top twelve earners in the league next year.

ASHIPP

matt1986 said:
Maybe he's not just interested in money and wants to get more ice time and responsibility playing for the capitals.

I also think that the Coventry fans are going to be bitterly disappointed when their full squad is announced. I think they've already signed their top two defencemen, and would they really be able to afford Calder, Carson, Weaver, Wood, Cowley, Hirsch AND Fulghum? I wouldn't be surprised that 4 (maybe 5 players) out of that list would be in the top twelve earners in the league next year.
Yeah and don't forget they've already got Chambers and Owen who would have come at a price, plus the other rumour that Kevin Bolibruck might be joining the Blaze too! Have they had a secret lottery win or something? :lol:

Yep, it certainly is pretty upsetting to be able to afford good players :cry:

I think it is the same for all teams. Devils fans will probably be a little let down when your final 3 "big" signings are announced as you all have high hopes but in reality it is hard to persuade a really top player that their future lies in the EIHL, however much you offer them :D And it is the same for the Blaze. I agree that Lee and Weaver are our top 2 defencemen and we'll probably end up with the crap Derek Campbell and Danny Stewart up front rather than Fulghum and Crosby that certain Blaze fans are hoping/expecting but I think we've improved in areas where we need.

Wannabe2

Maybe he's not just interested in money and wants to get more ice time and responsibility playing for the capitals

Probably just wants to live in a better place, must have been a tough call Coventry or Edinburgh. Would pick Iraq over Coventry myself. ;)

Wannabe2

J.B said:
Yep, it certainly is pretty upsetting to be able to afford good players :cry:

I think it is the same for all teams. Devils fans will probably be a little let down when your final 3 "big" signings are announced as you all have high hopes but in reality it is hard to persuade a really top player that their future lies in the EIHL, however much you offer them :D And it is the same for the Blaze. I agree that Lee and Weaver are our top 2 defencemen and we'll probably end up with the crap Derek Campbell and Danny Stewart up front rather than Fulghum and Crosby that certain Blaze fans are hoping/expecting but I think we've improved in areas where we need.
Actually its our final 4 big signings not 3 try to keep up mate, i know its hard coming from Coventry and all that but really. Still it could be worse in Cardiff we could have signed Derek Campbell, the pretender to the real one.

Wannabe2 said:
Actually its our final 4 big signings not 3 try to keep up mate, i know its hard coming from Coventry and all that but really.
Says the person who doesn't know the difference between Chris Richards and Bruce Richardson. I'm surprised you can show your face after that clanger :oops:

Gazza272

Thread starter #20
bigbaz said:
Brian Lee is our #3 Dman ... and considering we were going to be happy with Robinson as our #3 ... i'm delighted with Lee

Really? has that been confirmed? The press release gave the indication he would be much higher imo.