OK, so what does OJ know? Let the guesswork begin...

kettdevil1

Thread starter #1
Taken from MNL

"News of the World story involving Devils I hear"
"News of the World story will rock ice hockey"

So, who will step forward as a Sherlock Holmes?
Is it good news or bad news?

Is it an expose on a player or is it a game against the NJ Devils?

Let the guesswork begin!

Ocko

I really hope I'm wrong but if this is genuine I cant see it being anything good. The NOTW pride themselves on a scandal and I really hope this story doesnt tarnish our increasingly improving name as club and hopefully a league. Then again it might be this big news thats 'unprecedented' in the UK that alot of articles keep referring to recently.

Then again as the saying in media goes 'there's no such thing as bad publicity'.

20:39 - News of the World have defended their action of scanning MNL texters phones as ice fans all over the UK wanted to know id MNL bias was down to texters or MNL hosts,
21:15 - Page 11 of NoW has come through - Yes it confirms Chris S is the most biased host of MNL

Finny

Chris said:
Some of you need to read MNL a little better :)

Chris.
I think MNL need's to be a bit more careful though Chris of what is being put on there. I had a lot of angry and worried people asking me at the game if I knew anything about the Devils being investigated by the Police due to an article in the NOTW.

Ok it was a joke - but the joke was about the Inferno and MNL being investigated. Nothing to do with the Devils and yet the first couple of comments on MNL only mentioned the club and nothing about MNL.

Yeah I'm with Finny on this. Might have been better kept til April 1st.

MNLs a great service, but considering some of the crazy news to come out of this league MNL can't assume that people will get the joke and employ a little critical thought on a Saturday night.

Chris

Administrator
But if people are going to do 2+2 = 34026235067921346, there's really not a great deal we can do about that, people jumped the gun spectacularly last night.

I can see why people automatically thought it was a bad thing, the News of the World is hardly a shining beacon of happiness and good things, but in 25 minutes it went from being a throw away comment on MNL to being believed and exaggerated upon at the rink...

Despite being mentioned in this, I wasn't aware of the actual 'joke' until OJ typed it up. Below is what was put on MNL by OJ, taking out all of the game updates.

• 19:23 - Have you heard about big story in NoW
    19:25 - News of the World story involving Devils I hear
    19:34 - News of the World story will rock ice hockey
    19:47 - News of the World have been investigating a complaint involving the Devils
    19:48 - Or an organisation associated with Devils
    19:48 - It involves phone tapping
    19:59 - Mate says he will e-mail me a scan of NoW story when it gets off the press in 40 mins
    20:37 - My scanned NoW coming through
    20:39 - News of the World have defended their action of scanning MNL texters phones as ice fans all over the UK wanted to know id MNL bias was down to texters or MNL hosts
    20:40 - it says continued on page 11 but I haven't got that page
    20:41 - It must be about Chris S as he is the most biased host I just upset our Celtic cousins (and everyone else)
    21:15 - Page 11 of NoW has come through - Yes it confirms Chris S is the most biased host of MNL

It was a terrible joke, probably one of the worst i've ever heard or read, but if people had passed on all the comments, rather than perhaps just a select few, it wouldn't be such a problem?

Chris.

DevilDom

I think its quite funny and didn't really do any harm apart from a few people down the rink jumping to conclusions (me being one of them!). :oops:

I sat there for about 10 minutes with my mate going through all the possible stories it could be - Sawyer, Matt Burge, Drugs, Women etc. Certainly had me hook line and sinker. :lol:

Was anybody or anything really hurt though? Some people need to lighten up!

If we don't stop complaining about a few throw away comments or jokes on MNL people may become reluctant to do it and we'll end up losing a fantastic service.

Finny

Chris said:
It was a terrible joke, probably one of the worst i've ever heard or read, but if people had passed on all the comments, rather than perhaps just a select few, it wouldn't be such a problem?

Chris.
But people were telling me about it in the first period break. At a guess that would be around 7.45pm?
If you look at all the messages up until then there is no suggestion at all it is connected to MNL - they are all about the Devils. The truth doesn't come out until nearly an hour later. Looking back it's easy to see it was supposed to be a joke, but if you take just the messages up until 8.30pm then you can see why some people were so worried.

Kipper

It was a juvenile thing to do and upset a lot of people.MNL is a great service but leave the "jokes" for somewhere else as it undermines the whole thing

Ger-Devils

I had 3 texts during the 1st period break and didn't have a clue what was going on really. People even asking Simon(Devils staff) about it and he didn't have a clue what was going on.

Kipper said:
It was a juvenile thing to do and upset a lot of people.MNL is a great service but leave the "jokes" for somewhere else as it undermines the whole thing
I'm with you Kip, some people need to grow up a little.

As normal I stand by what I said.

If people were hooked so be it but as least admit it.

Finny says that it was said that there was a Police investigation- well the police was never mentioned on MNL

Finny I would also refer you to the comment at 19:48 minutes after it first appeared -"Or an organisation associated with Devils"

Maybe an adjective starting with g is also banned as far as hockey fans are concerned.

OJ

PS

I didn't realise until last night how many followed MNL when actually at the game

Nott Simpson said:
I didn't realise until last night how many followed MNL when actually at the game
was gonna say, if your at the game why follow MNL? you see the action first hand? I know what id be rather watching if I was in the tent.