OPINIONS: What do the Devils do?

Devils86

Thread starter #1
Apologies admin, just think theres a gap between 'Rumours' and the 'Confirmed Devils' departures etc...where we all need to vent a bit.

However, if I have missed something obvious then please let me know...and move/delete thread as appropriate

So comment with your Retained List, 'let-go' list and any 'unsures'...

Last edited:

Mooney#16

It’s a fairly simple formula. Score more and conceded less next season with players capable of being MVP talent in their respective positions. That wins you an EIHL title.

Players who have underperformed in their position or their production is trending downwards need to be analysed impartially for it they can contribute to a championship team and study the market for improved options.

Devils need a championship team on the ice. Not a good team, an almost team, a nice guy team. A championship team who will do all the little things required to win hockey games and on a consistent basis.

The first line is not a championship first line. They cannot demand first line wages and limit depth and not return results. They simply haven’t produced consistently to the required level. It’s pay cut and down the line up or leave for them.

Second line has been ok but not consistent enough all year again. Arneil and Barrow I’ve enjoyed but Ully does have a question mark.

Third line was a bit disappointing. I’m not sure what my opinion is of Busch. Didn’t quite convince me he was dominant enough defensively and didn’t agitate the opposition enough for me but did some ok work going forward. Alderson I actually like. Great secondary scoring option and could physically rattle a team if need. Crandall turned it around this season and was much improved. I just have a nagging feeling his offensive game is trending down and he isn’t a strong enough secondary scoring option but his defensive game has been night and day from last year much to his credit.

Brandt - Stays. End of convo. One of the few players who visibly looks like he wants to be a difference maker when games are not going to plan.

Davies - He can stay. Great 4th line centre.

Duggan - Unfortunately he goes. His game is not maturing enough at this level and he is just that tiny bit of the pace. I can’t quite work out why he hadn’t developed himself as a Matthew Myers’s mark 2, Ian Cooper type player. Just live in the slots being an absolute menace. Screening, agitating but he plays perimeter and his skating isn’t good enough.

Waller - Stays. Not many better Brit options out there so unless you have a trump card up sleeve you don’t jettison him.

Defence

Crawford - Stays. He had a role in over a quarter of Devils goals. Brings big offensive upside. Keep.

Mosey - Awesone season from Mosey but again he shouldn’t be a first line D of a championship team. He should be the utility guy who can bounce around the line up filling gaps.

Donaghey - I’ve enjoyed. Like his compete level and gets up for big games. However need to look at the market for how he compares.

Ritchie - Controversial take. He is dropping off in standard and I don’t believe is now a top 4 D. He needs to come down to the third pairing.

Wilde - A luxury player I don’t think Devils need and he’d undoubtedly want more salary next season so he goes. This role needs to be defensive and not offensive.

Batch - Brilliant bounce back season. My only problem is I think we need a 5 import D core and if Ritchie moves down that puts Batchy at 7th D which is a position I’m not sure he deserves. Proper man management piece with Batchy if he wants to entertain being a scratch / utility with Mosey or fighting it out with Ritchie for 6th D.

Rymsha - Gone unfortunately. Just not commanding and solid enough a D man for what is required.

Chad - Love the guy and his character. Absolute team player and a true hockey player who respects the code of playing the game. But he simply hasn’t over taken Brandt in the line up so unfortunately he goes.

Bownsey - Good season. But will his form hold into next season for a championship. Very tough situation and question. Good goalies are hard to come by with a lot of average ones out there who aren’t consistent enough. Also the GB intangible makes him high value. Netminding is def a tricky bind for Devils as to get Bownsey + a stand out import is a lot of budget to sit on the bench.

Wall - Been ok. Done his job so nothing negative to say. Will he win you a championship in tandem though. I don’t think so. Change up. Maybe even look at Lucas Brine in Dundee.

New - New - New
New - Arneil - New
Barrow - Martin - Alderson
Waller - Davies - Brandt

Crawford - New
New - Donaghy
Mosey - Ritchie

Batchy

Bownsey - Import N/M - Brine

Hear me out. If Bownsey and Brine are in then you go 15 import skaters and Mosey plays and Batch or another sits. If you play import N/M then you have 14 import skaters and someone sits for Batchy.

Potentially the most crucial off season since Todd took over excepting the first. A proper statement of intent required.

moggy#9

I think that I need a bit of time to ponder specific opinions on players (though I've mentioned some of the more glaring ones elsewhere). I do think there are some general areas that need addressing though.

Goaltending
Bowns needs help. I've been critical of bowns' in the past, but he has been excellent this year. I do think that we need a second goalie, with a contrasting style and who can play the puck, who can start an even share of matches.

Defence
IMO our defensive mix is wrong. This idea of fast, mobile defence men simply doesn't work if they can't protect their own net. We need some big bodies who will command our zone and cover the adventures of our offensive defence men.

Forwards
We lack a proper game breaking first line. Key to that is proper power forwards who will actually use their size. When I look at our roster of forwards there are just too many who are too similar in style. We have lots of players who love it when they have space, but who won't roll up their sleeves and work when a match turns into a war of attrition. In short, I don't think some of these players understand what winning takes.

Leadership
As I've said elsewhere numerous times, we lack leadership. Having a letter on your shirt shouldn't be about how long you've been around, or how much you're liked. It should be about setting an example and being unwilling to accept half measures from anyone else. A leader has to epitomise what it means to be a devil.

The basics
Passing to the stick, clearing the zone first time, getting players to the net. These are just some of the basics we've struggled with. Why?

Attitude
It's long been suggested that there's too much of a holiday camp atmosphere on the team. Too often players haven't seemed prepared. The run up to the continental cup when players didn't even know their opponents summed this up. Players need to have a common goal - winning matches. If they aren't willing to buy into that they should be gone by Xmas. None of this nice cosy existence they currently have.

Accountability
Where is it? No one seems to be accountable for not doing what's expected.

Expectations
It's obviously hard for us to complete with big budgets. From the comments of the club, we clearly expect to though. I think it's only fair to expect the club to manage our expectations. From things people have said, they're willing to accept a lot of the product is entertaining.

Recruitment
We need to stop our exclusively north American recruitment. If we're going to play a European/North American hybrid game, we need the players who can execute. Let's look to Scandinavia and central Europe, for some of our players.

GAVIN

Keep.

Davies.Arniel.Busch.Crawford.
Crandall.Mosey.Brandt.Bowns.Donaghey.
Barrow.Waller.Sanford.

Gone.

Wall. Rymsha. Batch. Cox
Pietroniro.. No fault of his own

Retires.

Martin, Richardson.

Needs too do more.

Wilde, Ully, Anderson, Duggan.

Gavevs88

Keep.

Davies.Arniel.Busch.Crawford.
Crandall.Mosey.Brandt.Bowns.Donaghey.
Barrow.Waller.Sanford.

Gone.

Wall. Rymsha. Batch. Cox
Pietroniro.. No fault of his own

Retires.

Martin, Richardson.

Needs too do more.

Wilde, Ully, Anderson, Duggan.
Martin retire?? Are you still pissed??

GAVIN

No not pissed mate... Martin is the GOAT but I would rather see him retire than hin continue playing with average players making him out to look bad... What he has done for us is aamazing

Mooney#16

My preference is Joey goes down onto the third line. That is not said in anyway to insult Joey Martin but more to utilise him better as he gets older. Young talented dynamic fearless players are great to get on the first line but they can also be thick as mince and not know what it takes to be a winning pro. Surrounding them with someone like Joey to mentor them is a good formula. Joey still has a great 200 ft game but do we need to be realistic about his minutes, his role and his production. Let’s be frank 10 assists from a first line centre is bad. He can still work a power play, PK and has a keen hockey sense so at his age he perhaps needs to adapt to being a role player and not a franchise talisman. Joey Martin on a 3rd line is a championship move.

The point is does Joey want to play this role himself or not as think the club will need to make their position clear and then let Joey decide but I wouldn’t make it much of a negotiation topic.

august04 2.0

New - New - New
New - Arneil - New
Waller - Davies - Brandt

Crawford - New
New - Donaghy
Mosey - Ritchie

Batchy

Agree with much of this line up.
I have a sneaky feeling that Gleason Fournier could be an option again next year and personally I’d sign him over Crawford, whose defensive game is just not up to it for me, to enable us to win a league championship. I’m not sure about Alderson, if there’s a better power forward option who can contribute offensively, then I wouldn’t sign him back either. And I think we need to improve our goaltending too - Bowns has had a very good year but I just don’t think we can win the league with him in net for 80% of games, as he seems to expect, unless our D corps are so much tighter and better defensively than they have been these past few years. He needs more competition from a better back up in my view.
I wouldn’t have Cox and Sanford anywhere near next years’ roster. They can rack up the points but won’t win us a league title and go missing far too often in the big games.

Last edited:

BostonBart22

Think sanford is a must without cox. our budget should be higher next season with the increase in tkt prices and all the game worn shirts sold this season through shirt off back sales..

moggy#9

It’s a fairly simple formula. Score more and conceded less next season with players capable of being MVP talent in their respective positions. That wins you an EIHL title.

Players who have underperformed in their position or their production is trending downwards need to be analysed impartially for it they can contribute to a championship team and study the market for improved options.

Devils need a championship team on the ice. Not a good team, an almost team, a nice guy team. A championship team who will do all the little things required to win hockey games and on a consistent basis.

The first line is not a championship first line. They cannot demand first line wages and limit depth and not return results. They simply haven’t produced consistently to the required level. It’s pay cut and down the line up or leave for them.

Second line has been ok but not consistent enough all year again. Arneil and Barrow I’ve enjoyed but Ully does have a question mark.

Third line was a bit disappointing. I’m not sure what my opinion is of Busch. Didn’t quite convince me he was dominant enough defensively and didn’t agitate the opposition enough for me but did some ok work going forward. Alderson I actually like. Great secondary scoring option and could physically rattle a team if need. Crandall turned it around this season and was much improved. I just have a nagging feeling his offensive game is trending down and he isn’t a strong enough secondary scoring option but his defensive game has been night and day from last year much to his credit.

Brandt - Stays. End of convo. One of the few players who visibly looks like he wants to be a difference maker when games are not going to plan.

Davies - He can stay. Great 4th line centre.

Duggan - Unfortunately he goes. His game is not maturing enough at this level and he is just that tiny bit of the pace. I can’t quite work out why he hadn’t developed himself as a Matthew Myers’s mark 2, Ian Cooper type player. Just live in the slots being an absolute menace. Screening, agitating but he plays perimeter and his skating isn’t good enough.

Waller - Stays. Not many better Brit options out there so unless you have a trump card up sleeve you don’t jettison him.

Defence

Crawford - Stays. He had a role in over a quarter of Devils goals. Brings big offensive upside. Keep.

Mosey - Awesone season from Mosey but again he shouldn’t be a first line D of a championship team. He should be the utility guy who can bounce around the line up filling gaps.

Donaghey - I’ve enjoyed. Like his compete level and gets up for big games. However need to look at the market for how he compares.

Ritchie - Controversial take. He is dropping off in standard and I don’t believe is now a top 4 D. He needs to come down to the third pairing.

Wilde - A luxury player I don’t think Devils need and he’d undoubtedly want more salary next season so he goes. This role needs to be defensive and not offensive.

Batch - Brilliant bounce back season. My only problem is I think we need a 5 import D core and if Ritchie moves down that puts Batchy at 7th D which is a position I’m not sure he deserves. Proper man management piece with Batchy if he wants to entertain being a scratch / utility with Mosey or fighting it out with Ritchie for 6th D.

Rymsha - Gone unfortunately. Just not commanding and solid enough a D man for what is required.

Chad - Love the guy and his character. Absolute team player and a true hockey player who respects the code of playing the game. But he simply hasn’t over taken Brandt in the line up so unfortunately he goes.

Bownsey - Good season. But will his form hold into next season for a championship. Very tough situation and question. Good goalies are hard to come by with a lot of average ones out there who aren’t consistent enough. Also the GB intangible makes him high value. Netminding is def a tricky bind for Devils as to get Bownsey + a stand out import is a lot of budget to sit on the bench.

Wall - Been ok. Done his job so nothing negative to say. Will he win you a championship in tandem though. I don’t think so. Change up. Maybe even look at Lucas Brine in Dundee.

New - New - New
New - Arneil - New
Waller - Davies - Brandt

Crawford - New
New - Donaghy
Mosey - Ritchie

Batchy

Hear me out. If Bownsey and Brine are in then you go 15 import skaters and Mosey plays and Batch or another sits. If you play import N/M then you have 14 import skaters and someone sits for Batchy.

Potentially the most crucial off season since Todd took over excepting the first. A proper statement of intent required.
Interesting take on Waller. I think he'd expect to play higher than the 4th line. The problem I see with him is that he does lots of lovely skating, but there seems to be little end product. I feel that he needs to build his strength and be paired with someone who will go to the net. He does have something to give, but he's been wasted.

Hopefully harewood will be a full time devil next season and be able to use his size too be a pest around the net.

ASHIPP

If the Devils can address those glaring weaknesses and play lines/pairings that have chemistry, it's a starting point. Remembering to be very aware that they will be facing a resurgent Panthers and Giants next season.

Weaknesses:
1. The power play..... Pedestrian, limited, predictable. So many games could have and would have been won this season had that system been functioning properly. A key advantage in very tight games. Study videos of Lordo's teams/the Steelers' system/ the New York Rangers... whoever has a successful system that can be emulated.

2. Fans were promised a potentially competitive team based on speed and skill. Too many small guys, some not fast enough. What wasn't taken into account was that other teams had recruited big bodies to shut down those small players. Offensive plans were often decimated as our guys were regularly railroaded out of the way or stopped at the blue line.
Not enough of our own 'big bodies' to create space for our forwards. Some were forced to play a different role and there were nights when you could see it wasn't their natural style.

3. Mindset.....Not privy to level of fatigue, illness or other factors that might affect this. But collectively the team lacked snarl. And attitude. We want our Guys to go through brick walls for to win, and for eachother. We want them to HATE losing. We want to see them cherish our logo (even if it's new!). One or two of them brought that attitude every night and we all know who they are.

4. Chemistry...Injury, the opposition style, team relationships and other factors affect chemistry on the lines. It took a very long time some for chemistries to develop.....and even as late as last month, some 'partnerships' were still not working. It just can't take all season to do that.

Next season

Sandford-Arniel-Offensive beast #1
Offensive beast #2-Martin-Crandall
Waller-Busch-Barrow
Brandt-Davies-Duggan

Crawford-Donaghey
Mosey-Wilde or Defensive beast#1
Batch-Richardson

Bowns
Goalie #2

2 X interchangeable spares

Sorry you are leaving.....Pietroniro and Wall
??? Wilde,Ully
You need to go.....Cox (a limited liability who only played well when he felt like it), Rymsha (a vanilla, anonymous dman), Alderson (a big body who could have been used to create more space instead of playing catchup on the breakaways)

Leadership group: Crandall, Arniel, Davies, Brandt, Donaghey

Last edited:
If the Devils can address those glaring weaknesses and play lines/pairings that have chemistry, it's a starting point. Remembering to be very aware that they will be facing a resurgent Panthers and Giants next season.

Weaknesses:
1. The power play. Pedestrian, limited, predictable. So many games could have and would have been won this season had that system been functioning. A key advantage in very tight games. Study videos of Lordo's teams/the Steelers' system/ the New York Rangers.... whoever has a successful system that can be emulated.

2. Fans were promised a potentially competitive team based on speed and skill. Too many small guys, some not fast enough. What wasn't taken into account was that other teams had recruited big bodies to shut down those small players. Offensive plans often decimated as our guy were regularly railroaded or stopped at the blue line.
Not enough of our own 'big bodies' to create space for our forwards. Some were forced to play a different role. Some nights you could see it wasn't their natural style.

3. Mindset. Not privy to level of fatigue, illness or other factors that might affect this. But collectively the team lacked snarl. And attitude. We want our Guys to go through brick walls for to win, and for eachother. We want them to HATE losing. We want to see them cherish the logo (even if it's new!). Saw one or two of our Guys bringing that attitude every night. Don't need to name them because we know who.

4. Chemistry. Injury, the opposition style, team relationships and other factors affect chemistry on the lines. It took a very long time some chemistries to develop.....and even as late as last month, some 'partnerships' were still not working. Can't take all season to do that.

Next season

Xxxx-Arniel-xxxx
Sanford-Martin-Crandall
Waller-Busch-Barrow
Brandt-Davies-Duggan

Crawford-Donaghey
Mosey-Wilde
Batch-Richardson

Bowns
Goalie #2

2 X spares

??? Wilde,Ully
You need to go.....Cox (a limited liability who only played well when he felt like it), Rymsha (a vanilla, anonymous dman), Alderson (a big body who could have been used to create more space instead of playing catchup on the breakaways)

Leadership group: Crandall, Arniel, Davies,Brandt, Donaghey
That D is pretty much what we've had in a good many games,. Considering the number of goals we conceded I would think it is a priority for improvement.

Wannabe2

Personnally i would make 8 changes at least to this seasons squad, yes 2nd place in the league, and play off final 4 is pretty good, but some of the hockey we have had to watch,and especially that disgraceful display against the Giants in the semi final was a complete embarrassment.

moggy#9

Weaknesses:
1. The power play. Pedestrian, limited, predictable. So many games could have and would have been won this season had that system been functioning. A key advantage in very tight games. Study videos of Lordo's teams/the Steelers' system/ the New York Rangers.... whoever has a successful system that can be emulated.

2. Fans were promised a potentially competitive team based on speed and skill. Too many small guys, some not fast enough. What wasn't taken into account was that other teams had recruited big bodies to shut down those small players. Offensive plans often decimated as our guy were regularly railroaded or stopped at the blue line.
Not enough of our own 'big bodies' to create space for our forwards. Some were forced to play a different role. Some nights you could see it wasn't their natural style.

3. Mindset. Not privy to level of fatigue, illness or other factors that might affect this. But collectively the team lacked snarl. And attitude. We want our Guys to go through brick walls for to win, and for eachother. We want them to HATE losing. We want to see them cherish the logo (even if it's new!). Saw one or two of our Guys bringing that attitude every night. Don't need to name them because we know who.

4. Chemistry. Injury, the opposition style, team relationships and other factors affect chemistry on the lines. It took a very long time some chemistries to develop.....and even as late as last month, some 'partnerships' were still not working. Can't take all season to do that.

Next season

Xxxx-Arniel-xxxx
Sanford-Martin-Crandall
Waller-Busch-Barrow
Brandt-Davies-Duggan

Crawford-Donaghey
Mosey-Wilde
Batch-Richardson

Bowns
Goalie #2

2 X spares

??? Wilde,Ully

Leadership group: Crandall, Arniel, Davies,Brandt, Donaghey
Regardless of what he's done in the past, I simply don't see joey Martin being at second line centre level anymore, if we expect to win trophies, especially on a line with Sanford. It's just too lightweight.

ASHIPP

Regardless of what he's done in the past, I simply don't see joey Martin being at second line centre level anymore, if we expect to win trophies, especially on a line with Sanford. It's just too lightweight.
Look at who he has been playing with. Some chemistry with our top scorer, Sandford, but he was also largely anchored with Cox or Alderson (both flip flops for different reasons) or Barrow who was fighting his way back from a serious injury that regressed part of the offensive potential and sparkle he had at the start of the season.

Joey still finished in the top part of the EIHL points table. Not bad for a 'veteran' who someone has suggested should retire! Championships are won by solid team defence and scoring across the board, not from the performance of one individual. The Steelers' players pepper the point scoring standings...a league winning team whose goals/assists came from throughout the roster.

Last edited: