Panthers v Devils - CC Final 2nd Leg - 7:30pm

Finny

andydevils said:
panthers were playing at home and there shirts were red. we played in white. sounds about right
And hence why we played in red in the first leg and Panthers played in white.

Finny said:
andydevils said:
panthers were playing at home and there shirts were red. we played in white. sounds about right
And hence why we played in red in the first leg and Panthers played in white.

exactly finny, but hey some people will still moan about what colour shirts we wore.

Just watched highlights and seen myself on there. lol bad times.

ASHIPP

Just read the brief write up on Elite League website about last night. Must have been written by a Pants fan because anyone reading that would think only one team actually played last night! :lol:
Giveaway quotes 'the superb Corey Neilson who led by example' (what, actually managed to stop whinging and stay out of the bin!) or 'the 2nd leg which the Devils actually won' (what are they trying to say?)

OK, so I'm gutted for the Devils. Panthers were not pants last night - but the Devils did make them work for it! :cool:

I've got to say I'm a proud Devils fan today. Yes we lost and unfortunately a couple of defensive errors cost us but the team gave everything for the jersey, the fans and themselves. Everyone involved with the Panthers had a very nervous evening. I don't think we could have asked for much more. For those who didn't go and continue to slag off the team, watch the highlights before you comment. Only a suggestion of course........

A

Anonymous

Cant believe some of the comments regarding the game. I know I wasnt at the game and a lot of you were, and Im jealous believe me. But, "the darkest moment of the season", and "apart from 5 minutes we were dire"? Come on!! We won at the NIC scoring 5 goals and were 2:0 up early doors! Arnt some of you being a bit dramatic. You should be proud that we went there and fought and got a result. Lets be fair, we lost the CC final in the 1st leg NOT the second! Well done boys, proud of ya!! Better play like that Sunday as I will be there !!

Indeed, it was a well fought victory against a strong side in a rink that we are traditionally unlucky in. We went into the second leg on the back foot but gave it a good effort and hopefully gave them a damn good scare at the same time. Unfortunately as said, we lost the cup on the first leg, partly due to a team that looked nervous and unsettled, and partly due to a referee allowing the other side to run amock.

Never mind, bring on the playoffs. If we play in Nottingham in a few weeks as we did last night, I think we could be in with a chance.

TheStub

Ghost Dog said:
Never mind, bring on the playoffs. If we play in Nottingham in a few weeks as we did last night, I think we could be in with a chance.
Well said.

In any other Panthers game we would be singing from the rooftops - a little glitch in the second and we still skated off with the win in the NIC. As it happens, we didn't win enough - and got the win but lost the cup.

Well done guys. It must be gutting to come so close - but what an amazing effort from the guys.

Apologies for putting a bit of a dampener on things, but if we settle for what we saw last night we won't win anything.

The tone of this post isn't angry, just as objective a view as pI can make from what I saw. I'm very calm :lol:

Unfortunately we were poor as a team for most of the game IMO. Aside from a few very nice plays and the last 5 mins it wasn't a good performance.

Without doubt the usual suspects worked tirelessly and Smith was deservedly MoM which again could have gone to Michel also.

The problem is we have a number of key players that are not working as hard as they should be/are far too inconsistent to put in the performances the Devils need.

Enough players to affect the team's overall performance lost a lot of battles in the corners and 50/50s - when they lost them, there was little effort to win the puck back. Why don't players keep their legs moving out there?

Too many key players are anonymous for too many games. Our back-check was terrible and along with a lack of battle in our zone was the reason we put so much pressure on ourselves defensively. Team defence was poor, not just the D men.

We probably should have been 3-0 down after the first with Panthers dominating, but through a mixture of miss-cues infront of net from the Panthers and an injured/poor game from St Pierre we found ourselves with a one goal lead. (Although this should have been 2 if Hartwick hadn't made a bad play to create the 5 on 3.

In the second the frailties of the first period caught up with us.

In the third our commitment to the win from enough players was not what it should be in that situation IMO - players should have been on their knees at the end.

Chris

Administrator
Thread starter #70
Unfortunately as said, we lost the cup on the first leg, partly due to a team that looked nervous and unsettled, and partly due to a referee allowing the other side to run amock.
We may have lost part of the cup in the first leg, but our 2nd period collapse last night didn't help matters at all.

In parts we showed last night how we could and perhaps should have won, unfortunately we let ourselves down again.

That takes nothing away from the Panthers though, they played pretty well I thought although some of the Panthers fans seem to disagree, but we didn't do enough to beat them.

Hopefully we can sort the issues out before the playoffs, but there's not many games to go till then...

Speaking of which, when's the thread going to go up for who we all want to see back for next season? :E

Chris.

There has been various opinions on last nights game posted on here some slightly extreme and others slightly more balanced.

Wanna say first of all that this was the first away game ive been to and all i can say is what a game!. The fans brought the atmosphere (our fans were so loyal in support and ramped up the atmosphere). I was talking to a panthers fan in our hotel this morn who was at the game and she made the point that in the frist period, some of the second and most of the third we seemed to want the cup more than nottingham and i think we made the panthers work a hell of alot harder than they were expecting to to win that cup.

sadly there were a few errors that cost us, esp clearing the trash in front of the net properly but i think stevie did well to cope with some of the slips that the D made at times.

anyways loved the game last night and i am well proud of the boys!!!

Bring on the playoffs and if we improve our little errors and tighten it up i think we can bring that cup back to Cardiff!!

A

Anonymous

All teams make mistakes and we wouldn't be talking about them now if the panthers had not of capitalised on them. But being the good side that they are, they did just that. I bet the Panther fans saw some of our goals as errors and ones that could of been avoided. No team in any sport plays the entirety of a game without making errors. I don't believe for a minute we won at the NIC by playing poorly for the majority of the game, you don't win games there by playing poorly. Of course we might feel disheartened at coming so close, but we should be full of praise for the lads IMO, and it is only my opinion ...

Finny

Chris said:
Speaking of which, when's the thread going to go up for who we all want to see back for next season?
I always firmly believe that it shouldn't be started until after the playoffs. We know that the players read this forum and if several fans say "I don't want him back because he is rubbish" then it's going to affect their confidence and morale going into the playoffs.

A

Anonymous

Finny said:
Chris said:
Speaking of which, when's the thread going to go up for who we all want to see back for next season?
I always firmly believe that it shouldn't be started until after the playoffs. We know that the players read this forum and if several fans say "I don't want him back because he is rubbish" then it's going to affect their confidence and morale going into the playoffs.
I totally agree with that. But if people cant say something more constructive than "he's rubbish" then perhaps they shouldn't say anything at all ! :?

ASHIPP

Finny said:
Chris said:
Spot on - there is a time and place for that. This is not the sort of thing to be talking about when the Guys have just flogged their guts out in the CC Final and are preparing for the Playoffs! :evil: And, apart from beating the Pants in their barn for the second time in 2 weeks, let's actually remind ourselves that the Devils got to the FINAL of this Cup - something none of the other teams managed to do. :cool: