Panthers Vs Devils - League - 7th Oct 23 - FO 19:00

Slartibartfast

Disappointing result. Panthers have always been our bogey team. They have always been so good defensively. Even when double digit scores were common in the Heineken era Panthers would hold you to just 1 or 2 goals. Generally the Panthers always lack offense though but tonight they picked up the scraps and showed the weaknesses we need to work on which are:-

Powerplay
Finishing
Clearing the net

Also tonight we completely lacked the physicality that we have seen in previous matches. Not the end of the world. This team is a massive upgrade but we need to learn from this.

On a positive note I thought Chad did a great job on D.

Diablo3

I spent years doing the same thing. Thankfully I'm now just a fan from the outer edges.
So so fickle on here. Its actually laughable.
Why are we fickle? Just giving our impression of what we see. When we are good we say that, when we are mediocre we say that too.

Pembo

I wonder if these guys are around still? https://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/voodoo-dance-at-vetch-field-1679792
The Nottingham curse is real, it happens with every Devils team and coaching line up. We could have Connor McDavid and if he put a Devils shirt on in that rink he would stink the place out. I think we need to stop whinging and blaming the team, and between now and our next visit actually hire a Voodoo priest or two to start slaughtering chickens in the goal crease and throwing some ash around.

kettdevil1

It is really odd and contrasts with our record in Sheffield, which is insane over the last few years .... I suppose it shows that this year the league should be fun. Sheff thump Nott, we cruise by Sheff and then get beaten by Nott..... it's going to be a close one this year

ASHIPP

It's almost in our DNA to lose at NIA whether the Panthers play well or not.
Is it an historical hangover....all those times long ago we got to Playoff finals and CC finals and were the losing team. Or maybe something more straightforward than that....simply that Panthers were in front of a large home crowd and coming off a big loss in the Challenge Cup. Pressure to perform?

kingmo19.1

Absolute garbage and a convenient excuse “we always lose in Nottingham”!

We lose there when we play CRAP!

We win there when we play WELL!

Last night we were crap!

The above scenario tends to play out in most rinks!

Wannabe2

It’s not the losing, we are all going to lose games, but when you lose because you played very poor, and it’s made worse because you are a much better team that shows up, then that sucks. Last night really was a lousy night for us and that’s not taking anything away from the Panthers. As Kingmo says we win when we play well, and we lose when we play lousy, fortunately we have a coach that won’t take this lying down, we have a very tough game tonight let’s hope our proper team show up.

Last edited:

Rempel16

Were we really that bad?

I didn’t think so. I thought we were slow to get going and there was a noticeable period of transition to the larger ice, but generally we were playing against a Panthers team who were up for it after being shut out by their biggest rivals in their last home game.

We were not dominated all over the ice, we were not physically bullied and I thought for much of the game we were actually the better team.

Had that shot that hit the post in the second period gone in I think we would have seen that game out.

What’s the old saying? Don’t get to up on the ups and don’t get too down on the downs. It wasn’t terrible like some are suggesting.

Were we really that bad?

I didn’t think so. I thought we were slow to get going and there was a noticeable period of transition to the larger ice, but generally we were playing against a Panthers team who were up for it after being shut out by their biggest rivals in their last home game.

We were not dominated all over the ice, we were not physically bullied and I thought for much of the game we were actually the better team.

Had that shot that hit the post in the second period gone in I think we would have seen that game out.

What’s the old saying? Don’t get to up on the ups and don’t get too down on the downs. It wasn’t terrible like some are suggesting.
Perhaps all the players had cricks in their necks and sore shoulders from being forced to wear those poxy medallions all week

moggy#9

Were we really that bad?

We were not dominated all over the ice, we were not physically bullied and I thought for much of the ga, onlyme we were actually the better team.

I'm confused by your comment about larger ice. A quick Google suggests that the over is exactly the same size as ours (60x30). In fact, as far as I'm aware, only Manchester is any different, and the last time anywhere was bigger, it was the centrum in Ayr which was iirc was 61.5 x 30.5. The wnir was of course 56x26, the minimum allowable size.

Wannabe2

I'm confused by your comment about larger ice. A quick Google suggests that the over is exactly the same size as ours (60x30). In fact, as far as I'm aware, only Manchester is any different, and the last time anywhere was bigger, it was the centrum in Ayr which was iirc was 61.5 x 30.5. The wnir was of course 56x26, the minimum allowable size.
Yep our ice is Olympic Size, same as Panthers.

Rempel16

Scrap that then. It’s an illusion. There seems to be far more space on that ice pad than in Cardiff, hence Brandt is less effective on the forecheck.

Kevlar68

No knee jerk reaction here, we've had bad days at the office with every coach, a lot more bad days last season than usual but we have an experienced coach who I'm sure will take this loss in his stride.
Every team on their day can beat any team we know that as we've seen it many timed, we're so early in the season we can only improve.