Parking in December

James

Administrator
Thread starter #1
Todd mentioned at Wednesdays game that parking in Morrisons wasn't allowed in December and they would be clamping Devils fans who do. He said there would be alternate arrangements made. Anyone heard anymore?

youngbob

Pool, behind BBT, Asda, Dunleavy Drive, Watkiss Way, Yacht club, across river round Oystercatcher

Just some ideas

Some will be a fair walk....

I think Todd said it's only Saturday games when we can't use Morrisons, although I would expect that to include the Friday 23rd home fixture.

jimmy snels

What the hell kind of situation is this?! surely laying a bit of tarmac to allow parking would be a sensible thing to do if your building a 3000 seat venue :confused:

Wannabe2

Totally agree Jimmy, but we are lucky to have what we got mate, No one really wanted to build the rink, but they had to so as to get the other building contracts, but agree it's a poor show, don't think the builders have the dosh now to remedy that problem, hopefully in the future but I wouldn't hold my breath.

Russky

I think Todd said it's only Saturday games when we can't use Morrisons, although I would expect that to include the Friday 23rd home fixture.
My question is do Morrisons have the manpower to police it? I think not somehow. How will they be able to differentiate between a shoppers car and a Devils supporters car without any tell tale stickers/clues?

Also I would question the legality and authority of anyone challenging people parking their cars and then the Morrisons bods/representatives trying to clamp them.

Last edited:

terry hunt

The old BBT site is almost completely cleared except for the electrics.
Would it be possible to move the barriers back part way to give more parking places the ground looks pretty clean.

youngbob

My question is do Morrisons have the manpower to police it? I think not somehow. How will they be able to differentiate between a shoppers car and a Devils supporters car without any tell tale stickers/clues?

Also I would question the legality and authority of anyone challenging people parking their cars and then the Morrisons bods/representatives trying to clamp them.
Regarding legality, you're probably correct, extract from https://www.askthe.police.uk/content/Q528.htm

Private land
It is a criminal offence to clamp/block/tow away a vehicle on private land without lawful authority. Lawful authority to immobilise or move a vehicle is restricted to a number of organisation such as the police, DVLA and local authorities.

Privately owned land includes car parks, such as those at retail parks, whether or not there a fee is payable in order to park there (not local authority run car parks).

To commit this offence a person must intend to prevent the owner/driver from moving their vehicle. Therefore, clamping your own car to prevent theft would not be an offence. No offence would be committed where a driver was prevented from leaving a car park because the vehicle's exit was blocked by a fixed barrier.

BUT 2 things to bear in mind

1 - If your car is clamped when you get out at around 9:30 tonight, it's no comfort to know they shouldn't have done it, particularly if you have your kids with you

2 - Morrisons specifically asked us not to park there, as it's their busiest time of the year, there's presumably a "gentlemen's agreement" with the Devils organisation, which they could easily say is no longer valid if we don't keep our side of the bargain

Kal

Im pretty sure private car parks dont have the power to clamp and it's very difficult for them to enforce fines if you refuse to pay.

Edit: as confirmed above.

A rather selfish and ungrateful attitude in my opinion. After their generosity to Devils supporters over many years, why do you want to find a way around this and deprive Morrisons customers a justifiable expectation of car parking spaces.
If Morrisons get complaints from customers not able to park, they might quite justifiably decide to exclude us from parking at all. They could then lower the barrier at close of business.

Russky

Thanks Youngbob for clarifying the legal aspect of this. I have no intention of parking in Morrisons car park, so therefore it wont be a selfish act or attitude, I am merely putting forward an alternative viewpoint.

Last edited:

Russky

A rather selfish and ungrateful attitude in my opinion. After their generosity to Devils supporters over many years, why do you want to find a way around this and deprive Morrisons customers a justifiable expectation of car parking spaces.
If Morrisons get complaints from customers not able to park, they might quite justifiably decide to exclude us from parking at all. They could then lower the barrier at close of business.
Its not a question of having a selfish attitude, its more a a question of first come first serve and the logistical reality of situation or more of challenging the legality and authority to enforce such measures. Yes they could close the barriers, but in over the ten years that store has been open, they (Morrisons) have only closed and locked the barriers on a handful of occasions to stop joyriders!. Plus residents of the nearby apartments very regularly park in the Car Park, due to an agreement of access at the one end so, I cant see those gates being shut and locked.

I am merely stating the case,playing devils advocate and stating the facts, not condoning or condemning Devils fans for parking there. For the record I wont be parking in Morrisons Car Park. I will be parking elsewhere, where I am entitled to park, without fear of being clamped.

Last edited:

Ocko

Poor show by Greenbank to still not have adequate parking. As wannabe said, it looks as if this is it for the for the foreseeable.

Our best hope is new ownership of the rink. And as for the rest of the 'sports village' forget it. They can't even afford a bit of tarmac.

Ocko

Its not a question of having a selfish attitude, its more a a question of reality of situation or more of challenging the legality and authority to enforce such measures. Yes they could close the barriers, but in over the ten years that store has been open, they (Morrisons) have only closed and locked the barriers on a handful of occasions. Plus residents of the nearby apartments very regularly park in the Car Park, due to an agreement at the one end so, I cant see those gates being shut and locked.
I disagree Russky. We've been asked not to park there and we should honour that. We have been allowed to park there for years on their goodwill. We are not patrons of the store and with 1k extra fans now maybe people are being put off. I believe this is just for the Christmas season too, and just a Saturday. You shouldn't bite the hand that feeds you, they could make things awkward if we do.

I just can't see why you would not want to cooperate with Morrisons on this. When have fans parked there when specifically asked not to. That is why the barriers have been left up. We run the risk of losing this facility if we deliberately go against their wishes.

Ejercito Rojas

Exactly! Why antagonise a long-time 'Devils friendly' organisation just to prove a point. In future they could just decide to close the barriers when the store closes!
If you are gonna risk parking there at least have the good grace to park well away from the store entrance at the far end a of the car park.

Russky

I refer you to the last paragraph of my post.

I am not looking to antagonise anyone I am merely stating the alternative case or viewpoint., playing devils advocate if you like, and stating the facts, not condoning or condemning Devils fans for parking there. For the record I wont be parking in Morrisons Car Park. I will be parking elsewhere, where I am entitled to park, without fear of being clamped.

Its not a debate or discussion if an alternative view is not present.

Last edited: