Penarth Marina Resident Assoc. & The Winter Sports Complex

Thread starter #1
Apparently Penarth Marina Resident Association have called a meeting to discuss peoples issues with the Winter Sports Complex development. Their not very clever as their having the meeting at the Pilot. Hopefully it'll be positive, although I'd love them to try and raise objections against the development in a Cardiff Devils pub...... :lol:

Mooney#16

Re: Penarth Marina Resident Assoc. & The Winter Sports Compl

Bit of a tricky one really as Penrith marina is Vale of Glamorgan and the bay is Cardiff. Not sure what course for any objections would be as the penarth marina residents aren't Cardiff council rate payers. Slightly torn here as being a previous marina resident part of the attraction is the view across the bay but putting hockey head on that development needs to happen and fast. Given that the development only stretches out with the headland it doesn't hopefully affect to many of the residents aspect and with an international sports and entertainment development just a walk across the bridge hopefully there won't be an effect on the property values. To be confrontational with residents on this is not what is needed. There are two sides to the debate. As everyone on here loves to preach. Everyone is allowed to voice an opinion. Their's is about their homes. Otherwise it simply relates to your hobby.

Not sure who they have spoken to at the Pilot as neither me or Si have spoken to any of them!!!! We know nothing of any meeting??

Wannabe2

becandsi said:
Not sure who they have spoken to at the Pilot as neither me or Si have spoken to any of them!!!! We know nothing of any meeting??
In that case let us book it for a winter sports meeting. :lol:

Before any further posts are added may I suggest you all check out the article on page 3 of the Penarth Times for Thursday 2nd Feb. You will find a favourable response to a new rink to the building of a new arena. Where people are cautious is all the other aspects of the development, e.g. housing, shops etc. So come on guys and gals, check it out before making assumptions.Website is penarthtimes.co.uk

Im not jumping to any conclusion about the whys and wherefores of this organisation. But categorically can state they have not spoken to us about having any meeting at The Pilot.

As Devils fans and The Inferno and Devils Sponsors we are 150% behind the new development plans so that would possibly class as a conflict of interest! :lol:

Penarth Marina Resident Assoc. & The Winter Sports Complex

I don't know what they could possibly object to. No one has the right to a view; where their previously enjoyed one was spoilt there's no recourse for compensation unless they lost light. Plus it's in another borough altogether! I wouldn't be too concerned. Local planning rules haven't been implemented yet!

In any case, it's more important to have local residents on side.

Koop11

We have to be respectful of the local Penarth residents. If this was your home you would want to know the fine detail and assurances that this development, for all its positives to the local economy, does not have a negative impact on your neighbouring area. The infrastructure is indeed a very important matter. That link road to Penarth at rush hour is currently gridlock and with such an ambitious development, that is only going to increase.

We do not want to war breaking out with the Penarth Marina and Haven Residents Association as this will only cause delay in the project getting started. I would hope that Helium Miracle 113 and both councils are working closely in ensuring that this development is value for money whilst meeting all, or as many, of the local needs as possible.

I’m still cautions of the timing of this announcement for the ISV development. With local elections fast approaching, I hope we haven’t been used simply as a way of selling votes. In my view, the planning application needs to be approved before the elections and in the meantime, any statements from the council or Helium Miracle 113 announcing that the funding is in place to start the build would be reassuring.

Must confess to still being puzzled by some of the posts here. It appears some of the posters have not read the article in Penarth Times, or if they have they have not digested in properly. The issue is not whether or not the so called meeting was going to take place in the Pilot on Penarth, (you need to ask ScarlettDevil where that info came from) but Penarth Marinas residents CONCERNS. If posters read the article nowhere does it mention "objections" as some posters have written. The article clearly shows a positive response to the building of a new ice rink but residents are cautious about all the other proposed developments suggested. For one poster to write about "a war" with the residents is frankly ludicrous. If there are problems with local residents it is far more likely to come from the Cardiff side of the river Ely as residents of Victoria Wharf and Windsor Quay are going to experience the construction traffic, noise and air pollution that will come with the construction of this development the most as they are closer. I have already met residents of Watermark flats and Prospect Place who complain abount the noise from the BBT on match nights. For those with short memories I would remind you that back in 2005 the idea of combining a rink with the propsed redevelopment of the cricket ground in Sophia Gardens was being touted. This was opposed by local CARDIFF residents under the "Save our Parklands" banner chaired by Neil McEvoy (remember him). Mr. McEvoy even suggested building the rink at Leckwith where the new Cardiff City stadium was planned to be built.Come on, let us all get a sense of proportion and stop looking for some kind of confrontation, after all some of Penarth Marina residents may well be the future fan base we will need when, and if, the new rink is built. It is going to be 3000 capacity, and at present levels we will only be able to half fill it so everyone will have to pull together to get attendance levels up to where they used to be at the old WNIR. You will not do that by talking about a "war" with a group of residents, wherever they live.

Koop11

10redcastleknight said:
Must confess to still being puzzled by some of the posts here. It appears some of the posters have not read the article in Penarth Times, or if they have they have not digested in properly. The issue is not whether or not the so called meeting was going to take place in the Pilot on Penarth, (you need to ask ScarlettDevil where that info came from) but Penarth Marinas residents CONCERNS. If posters read the article nowhere does it mention "objections" as some posters have written. The article clearly shows a positive response to the building of a new ice rink but residents are cautious about all the other proposed developments suggested. For one poster to write about "a war" with the residents is frankly ludicrous. If there are problems with local residents it is far more likely to come from the Cardiff side of the river Ely as residents of Victoria Wharf and Windsor Quay are going to experience the construction traffic, noise and air pollution that will come with the construction of this development the most as they are closer. I have already met residents of Watermark flats and Prospect Place who complain abount the noise from the BBT on match nights. For those with short memories I would remind you that back in 2005 the idea of combining a rink with the propsed redevelopment of the cricket ground in Sophia Gardens was being touted. This was opposed by local CARDIFF residents under the "Save our Parklands" banner chaired by Neil McEvoy (remember him). Mr. McEvoy even suggested building the rink at Leckwith where the new Cardiff City stadium was planned to be built.Come on, let us all get a sense of proportion and stop looking for some kind of confrontation, after all some of Penarth Marina residents may well be the future fan base we will need when, and if, the new rink is built. It is going to be 3000 capacity, and at present levels we will only be able to half fill it so everyone will have to pull together to get attendance levels up to where they used to be at the old WNIR. You will not do that by talking about a "war" with a group of residents, wherever they live.

What a puzzling post. Ludicrous in fact. Some posters clearly don’t read posts in the context they were written. Seeing just words and not the message. Read it again and that post actually refers to respecting the local residents needs regardless which side of the county they live on.

I love the focus on the word "war" when the only person who used it was koop11 and he said "we do NOT want a war...". Talk about twisting things completely out of context :roll:

Sent from my Nexus S using Tapatalk

Chris

Administrator

They might read that and post a reply that would actually relate to what Koop posted :E

Finny

I'm not sure who we're going to war with, or why, so I could do with someone pointing me in the right direction and lighting the rocket.

Gazza272

Finny said:
I'm not sure who we're going to war with, or why, so I could do with someone pointing me in the right direction and lighting the rocket.

There's no war Finny.

But this thread has reminded me, do you remember that hit it for six website me and you used to try and educate on why the rink in Sophia Gardens is such a good idea, and the only retort they ever had was that there was this ancient document that claimed the gardens should stay pure but it was open to interpritation :lol:

Finny

Yeh. I loved that website. They had this belief all Devils fans would come out of the rink and urinate in their gardens on a Sunday night whilst they were watching Songs of Praise.

Bless 'em.

I just wish I could have seen their faces when the Stadium expansion went ahead for the Ashes Test after they had told us for so long that it never would.