"People pay to see fighting"

RTfarty

The game still ‘suffers’ from the reputation of old for casual punters, and in fairness, it was often the selling point of many a die hard fan looking to bring someone new along. I would argue it still is, and when the antics of the good old days (and they were good!) don’t transpire I think you get the sort of response from the people mentioned at the start of the thread.

To answer the question, no, I don’t buy a ticket to see or expect a fight in this era of the sport, but I’d be lying if I said I didn’t hope to see one, as it always was and will be part of the reason I fell in love with the game.

Rempel16

The game still ‘suffers’ from the reputation of old for casual punters, and in fairness, it was often the selling point of many a die hard fan looking to bring someone new along. I would argue it still is, and when the antics of the good old days (and they were good!) don’t transpire I think you get the sort of response from the people mentioned at the start of the thread.

To answer the question, no, I don’t buy a ticket to see or expect a fight in this era of the sport, but I’d be lying if I said I didn’t hope to see one, as it always was and will be part of the reason I fell in love with the game.
Totally agree. I don’t bother asking newbies to come anymore as even with tempered expectations as I tell them it’s not likely to be physical they still come away a bit ‘meh’.

The days of Cornish, Payette, Angelstad, Clouthier, Derek Campbell and the rest of the characters of the early Elite League coming to town are long gone and the game has suffered for it.

I’d have walked away long ago if I wasn’t so emotionally invested.

BostonBart22

Totally agree. I don’t bother asking newbies to come anymore as even with tempered expectations as I tell them it’s not likely to be physical they still come away a bit ‘meh’.

The days of Cornish, Payette, Angelstad, Clouthier, Derek Campbell and the rest of the characters of the early Elite League coming to town are long gone and the game has suffered for it.

I’d have walked away long ago if I wasn’t so emotionally invested.
Dennis maxwell, mcwilliam, Eric cairns, mcmorrow, voth, the list goes on, how we miss those players.

Rempel16

Actually mate I could never miss Cairns, McMorrow, and the other goons that didn’t have a clue or ability to play this game. Now Maxwell, McWilliam, Ware, Voth etc is a different matter
Cairns was a solid d-man and could certainly play the game. He was in the nhl for his toughness but he was also a big part of the Islanders penalty kill for a while.

doron

if you take rugby and American football as a example, people go to watch them because it's a fast contact sport, same with ice hockey. nothing to do with fighting, that's just a bonus, people want speed skill and aggressive play when needed keeping in line of the rules of the game. if we get this we are all happy chappies.

Rempel16

if you take rugby and American football as a example, people go to watch them because it's a fast contact sport, same with ice hockey. nothing to do with fighting, that's just a bonus, people want speed skill and aggressive play when needed keeping in line of the rules of the game. if we get this we are all happy chappies.
Exactly this. I don’t think it’s a surprise that the loudest cheers every game involve Riley Brandt.