Phil Hill is back

Sheincar

Re: Re: Phil Hill is back

noodlesboy said:
danhall76 said:
So glad to see this signing.

I actually agree osh, I think I was having a conversation with one of my mates and we agreed that with a bit of practice he could be quite a handy little fighter or at least one of the tougher Brits in the league.
I reckon he could kick some ass too tbh, just find it a little weird that he doesnt. Maybe if we can get someone in who's a decent fighter he could teach Phil a few things and we could have quite the stand out power forward that we lacked after vother went
Nicky Piper gave guys boxing training a few years back.

Paul Sullivan

Richie and Hilly both provide that most elusive of commodities:

An import-level Brit.

I think the loss of Richie has been heavily mitigated by the increase in the import level (providing we run with 11) and had that increase not taken place we would be in our widow's weeds over losing Mark.

I am delighted to have Hilly back on board. Nobody wants a trophy for the Devils more than him, nobody felt the loss of the last few close-shaves more heavily than him and nobody works harder than him to make sure he is in great shape come day one of the season.

Great re-capture for us.

Wannabe2

Phil Hill re-signing is fantastic news for all Devils fans, he is a local lad, bleeds red for his team, and is totally dedicated to his team. Great to see you back Phil you are like a fine wine, getting better and better every year.

Gazza272

Re: Re: Phil Hill is back

noodlesboy said:
I reckon he could kick some ass too tbh, just find it a little weird that he doesnt. Maybe if we can get someone in who's a decent fighter he could teach Phil a few things and we could have quite the stand out power forward that we lacked after vother went

I dont find it that weird, back when he was a young player for us Shawn Maltby who was quite a bit smaller than Phil gave him an absoloute pasting up in Basingstoke and I dont think I have seen Hill drop the gloves since.

A prime example of how an incident in a players development can really influence it imo.

Paul Sullivan

If I owned UPS I wouldn't deliver my own parcels.
If I played alongside Brad Voth I wouldn't bother learning to fight.

I can understand why some might want every player we have to do every kind of job there is to do on the ice, but I am very happy with the non-pugilist, 20-goal-a-year version of Phil we have right now.

osh

Paul Sullivan said:

I can understand why some might want every player we have to do every kind of job there is to do on the ice, but I am very happy with the non-pugilist, 20-goal-a-year version of Phil we have right now.

Such a dismal one dimensional view, but to be expected I suppose.
I am also very happy with Phil's contribution to our cause, however, its a part of his game that can actually improve his contribution and if he could improve in that area it would make him even more valuable. Lets face it, anyone his size should step up to the plate a bit more often and if he does it doesn't make him a goon.

Paul Sullivan

osh said:
Paul Sullivan said:

I am also very happy with Phil's contribution to our cause, however, its a part of his game that can actually improve his contribution and if he could improve in that area it would make him even more valuable. Lets face it, anyone his size should step up to the plate a bit more often and if he does it doesn't make him a goon.
Predictable response.

Anyone that wants to turn Phil Hill into a guy more like Adam Keefe has, in my opinion, lost their hockey marbles.

Do you think it's easier to find goalscoring British players or agitating imports? Why on earth would you take a proven 20 goal scorer and turn them into someone who takes more penalties and risks more injuries? I would like to know the team merits in it.

Not once can I think of a season that Phil not being a fighter has hampered our success. Perhaps you have games , plays and seasons in mind to prove otherwise? I would offer to debate it with you in the bar but that famous cloaking device of yours may prevent me finding you with the beer ;)

osh

Its a part of his game that can be improved, as he readily admits himself on occasions i've been in his company. I am merely stating that he could improve in this area. As for your comment ' cloaking device etc' !! I can do all the debating I want here thanks, I wouldn't really want to be seen in your company at any time :lol:

osh

You really should have stuck to pantomines, at least someone else was able to write your script. You'll always know what I'm thinking, you just don't like being told you're not always correct, makes for an interesting forum all the same. The only thing we have in common is we both support the same ice hockey team, that ok by me :cool:

Paul Sullivan

osh said:
You really should have stuck to pantomines, at least someone else was able to write your script. You'll always know what I'm thinking, you just don't like being told you're not always correct, makes for an interesting forum all the same. The only thing we have in common is we both support the same ice hockey team, that ok by me :cool:
It's not about correct. If we were discussing stats or results it would be about correct or incorrect. This is about opinions, and ours differ. Hard to believe they differ on absolutely everything without you simply being contrary, but there it is. Loaded posts and agendas, especially from - to borrow a term used on THF - http warriors, are painfully obvious and detract from salient points these 'warriors' attempt to make. I made valid points and asked you for examples of when Phil changing his game could have helped us.

All you did was regurgitate something you had been told by Phil as your opinion. You only mentioned your conversations when pressed. So using your own chosen medium of this forum, what are the examples of when Phil could have changed a game by fighting? Which games, which seasons, which incidents?

As for pantomimes - perfect training for British Ice Hockey, surely?:

'Osh isn't scared to reveal his identity.' 'Oh yes he is!'

Got a nice ring to it :lol:

osh

Paul Sullivan said:
So using your own chosen medium of this forum, what are the examples of when Phil could have changed a game by fighting? Which games, which seasons, which incidents? )
Every game we were being intimidated and he didn't step up for himself or team mates ( a bit like Craig Weller tbh )
Paul Sullivan said:
As for pantomimes - perfect training for British Ice Hockey, surely?
Maybe in your opinion, not mine, ice hockey is far more serious

Paul Sullivan said:
Osh isn't scared to reveal his identity.' 'Oh yes he is!'
What difference would that make ? Are you suggesting that everyone who disagrees with you should personally introduce themselves to you ? I've got far more important things to do thanks and reiterate that I wouldn't like to be seen in your company, end of.

Anyway, back on topic, nice to see him signed up.

voth26

Paul Sullivan said:
osh said:
Paul Sullivan said:

Predictable response.

Anyone that wants to turn Phil Hill into a guy more like Adam Keefe has, in my opinion, lost their hockey marbles.

Do you think it's easier to find goalscoring British players or agitating imports? Why on earth would you take a proven 20 goal scorer and turn them into someone who takes more penalties and risks more injuries? I would like to know the team merits in it.

Not once can I think of a season that Phil not being a fighter has hampered our success. Perhaps you have games , plays and seasons in mind to prove otherwise? I would offer to debate it with you in the bar but that famous cloaking device of yours may prevent me finding you with the beer ;)
I dont think it's a case of turning phil into a player like keefe, or him becoming a goon. I think that given phil's size and strength it would be an asset to the over team toughness if he were to step up occassionaly.

Phill Hill is fine as he is.You dont need to be tough to be a good player.Derek Campbell will drop them with most but would you rather a player like him in a Devils shirt? It's a no brainer for me.Hill is a pretty physical player in his own right.
If you look at rugby union ,tighthead props are by definition strong and nasty players,then you have Adam Jones,quiet and mild mannered.He is possibly in the top three tightheads in world rugby.
Look at Farmer last season,he's tried and failed to learn how to fight and turned himself into a laughing stock at the same time.

voth26

Having thought about it I'm not bothered if hilly fights as long as he signed for the devils and he puts points/goals on the board, thats what matters at the end of the day for me.

ASHIPP

A strong, physical goal-scoring forward with fantastic work ethic and leadership skills. Great role model, locally born, locally developed. Enough said. :D

Great to see you back, Phil. A crucial signing for the Devils' roster. :cool: