Phil Osaer

jmz44

basically I believe hes a waste of an import and I think stevie was better and a brit that is all, so we would have extra import upfront and ido think stevie is better in key situations osaer concedes more than 2 a game not good :DWD

bozman

jmz44 said:
basically I believe hes a waste of an import and I think stevie was better and a brit that is all, so we would have extra import upfront and ido think stevie is better in key situations osaer concedes more than 2 a game not good :DWD

cobblers :eek:

^ What he said!

This fallacy about the extra import - Where will the money be coming from for that? Or do you intend Stevie to play for free?

Gazza272

jmz44 said:

Think of all the games we would be 9 down instead of 2 had Os not made the saves he does? The guy is continually peppered game after game with shots.

Belfast home being a prime example, we were smashed with shots for two periods. Os kept the score at 3 and we win 4-3.

In Braehead in November it was the same. Osaer was making 4 or 5 saves and getting beaten on the 6th straight shot with the D not clearing effectively enough or being aggressive enough.

No way would I swap Osaer for anyone else!

Sliput

I agree with others, funnily enough i went to watch Stevie on Saturday when Basingstoke played Milton Keynes and i still felt nervous everytime the puck headed towards him. I dont get that feeling with Phil.

Dont get me wrong, Stevie is still a very good goalie but i dont have the confidence in him that i do in Phil.

this subject is a complete waste of time....every goalie in the league will have 4-5 goals that he will want back each season! however stevie surpasses that limit easily! in osaer i trust

Finny

skippy said:
Just wanted to point out that Stevie Lyle conceded more than 2 a game as well.. and had a lower save Percentage

Stats are here
It's also worth pointing out that due to the increase in imports/quality and introduction of the conference system, all the netminders from last season have seen a significant increase in their GAA this year.

I thought Osaer had a bit of a shakey start, but in recent weeks has been excellent and could easily have been one of the top 3 stars in most games.

Wannabe2

jmz44 said:
The only comment to this is possibly that, you are entitled to your opinion, it surely aint mine, and probably not that of most two eyed people down the rink but hey, ho. :lol:

ASHIPP

Cant believe this chat thread exists. Phil has kept the Devils in so many games this season......one of our best players. Think there are other players in front of Phil who are inconsistent this season. Tough season for netminders when they are in competition with greats like Kowalski and Riopel.

jmz44 said:
How was Stevie better? Give examples and evidence to backup your claim. Which 'key situations' are you referring to?

Are you even aware than EVERY goalie in the EIHL has a goals against average over 2 so far?

Last year Stevie faced on average 27.61 shots per game, returning a 2.55 goals against average.This year Phil, so far, has faced an average of 31.3 shots per game and his current GAA is 2.81

From that, Phil is facing on average 13% more shots than Stevie did, yet his Goals against average is only 10% higher.

Also consider that this year the Devils are playing the conference system which means that they are playing 2x more games against the better teams in the league ( Belfast, Nottingham, Sheffield and Coventry) where as they are playing 2x less games against the weaker teams ( Braehead, Fife, Dundee, Edinburgh and Hull)

Currently, the average shots by team against the Devils is:

Nottingham: 38.6
Belfast : 33
Sheffield: 28.17
Coventry: 34.86

Braehead: 31.5
Dundee: 26.33
Edinburgh: 25.5
Fife: 25
Hull: 28

Average shots faced by Phil from teams in our conference ( Erhardt): 33.7
Average shots faced by Phil from teams in the other conference ( Gardiner ): 27.27
Number of games played against Erhardt teams: 61%
Number of games against Gardiner teams: 39%

Phil is seeing more shots in more games against the better teams in the league.

Like every goalie ( including Stevie last year) Phil has stood on his head at times, in other games he's had some go past he'd no doubt like to have back. That's the way it goes.

Waste of an import slot? Get out of here

Sorry folks although the first post was harsh, I do think he is very inconsistent!

Not the talented keeper I was expecting, I'm sorry

jmz44 said:
Bollocks

Wannabe2

jodysstillagirlsname said:
jmz44 said:
Bollocks
Great answer, bit beneath the belt though. :lol:

Lyle may have been good but my opinion is Phil may let a few soft ones in, but Lyle let in the ones he needed to keep out (playoff finals he was amazing but too little too late) :cry: I'm more than happy with osaer tbh