Phoenix to the EPL

Ocko

Wannabe2 said:
Wonder how this will affect the fixtures
Now there are 8 teams it might make things easier due to having an even number.

Feel bad for Manchester fans, I'd hate it if the Devils went to the EPL. Thats no disrespect to the league as its serves its purpose for teams that simply cannot operate in the EIHL but the drop in quality is huge.

Good luck Phoenix, hopefully hockey in Manchester will grow and we might see you back again.

Changes to season tickets??? Currently for 30 games - will only have 21 home league games (assuming same format). I know cup games are included now, but it's only for the "qualifying rounds" which will surely only be another couple of home games?

ledgend777 said:
Changes to season tickets??? Currently for 30 games - will only have 21 home league games (assuming same format). I know cup games are included now, but it's only for the "qualifying rounds" which will surely only be another couple of home games?
Perhaps they will now include playoffs as well? (Whatever format that competition ends up as) Although, the loss of three home games revenue is significant. I pressume the early season tournament was planned to offset the costs from the loss of the Bison, but I would think something else will have to be done to offset this loss?

On another note....Tony Hand in the epl? It's a bit of a waste isn't it?

As us Bison are in a similar position with a suspected 8 team league, if you're worried about fewer games, then surely up the amount of times you play each time? Last year you played against 9 teams 6 times, 9 x 6 = 54, this year you could play 7 teams 8 times, 7 x 8 = 56. Doesn't sound too unrealistic to me, hope both our leagues notice this, so no formats will have to change.

Thats exactly what i was thinking, a massive waste in talent having him in the EPL, hopefully once his 3 years are done he'll come back to the Elite, if it still here :? .

Oppilolik said:
As us Bison are in a similar position with a suspected 8 team league, if you're worried about fewer games, then surely up the amount of times you play each time? Last year you played against 9 teams 6 times, 9 x 6 = 54, this year you could play 7 teams 8 times, 7 x 8 = 56. Doesn't sound too unrealistic to me, hope both our leagues notice this, so no formats will have to change.
Sounds good to me! :D I think it could get boring playing the same team 4 times at home after a while, but would work for a couple of years. Hopefully then, other teams will be in a position to join.

It would be great for building rivalries.

Ocko

Imagine the amount of points Hand will get in that league. Mo gets a stupid amount of points and isnt far off fifty years old Hand is still playing at the top of his game! :shock:

Finny

I wouldn't want to play all the teams 4 times in the league. We'll also be playing them in the Challenge Cup - which I would like to see extended so that you play all the teams in your group home and away.

Also, perhaps bring back the BK Cup, and invite in the EPL teams - after all they are going to be missing games. Drop the import level down to 4 or 5 for the EIHL teams - it then gives us the chance to play our backup and give some of the ENL guys some experience. Ideally in a home and away series - rather than just a one off game away.

3x7 = 21 Home League Games
3 Home Challenge Cup Games
1 BK Cup game
1 Playoff Quarter-Final Game

That would be 26 guaranteed home games. Only 1 less than our season ticket was last year.

Finny said:
Also, perhaps bring back the BK Cup, and invite in the EPL teams - after all they are going to be missing games. Drop the import level down to 4 or 5 for the EIHL teams - it then gives us the chance to play our backup and give some of the ENL guys some experience. Ideally in a home and away series - rather than just a one off game away.
That sounds very good actually, it would be good to have an EPL v EIHL game that was slightly competitive! Of course, who wouldn't want the Bison back in Cardiff? :D

Rempel16

I really don't see how manchester are going to sustain an epl spot, surely they are going to be lowering their ticket prices due to a significant drop in quality, and probably lose lots of fans despite the price drop as they will get bored of tony hand getting 3+12 every game (if he stays).

I think edinburgh or newcastle (if they don;t have christiansen and courtenay) might poach him as epl is a waste of time for him.

Rempel16 said:
I really don't see how manchester are going to sustain an epl spot, surely they are going to be lowering their ticket prices due to a significant drop in quality, and probably lose lots of fans despite the price drop as they will get bored of tony hand getting 3+12 every game (if he stays).

I think edinburgh or newcastle (if they don;t have christiansen and courtenay) might poach him as epl is a waste of time for him.
We won't lose many fans, if any - we're just glad that our owner has the common sense to see when we can't compete on multiple levels and find a level where we can and at the same time finally make a profit. We've been without a team twice in seven years, we'd rather it didn't happen again. A third time would be the death knell for hockey in Manchester.

I've told you once, I'll tell you again, and again after this if you still don't get it - Tony Hand is going nowhere.

Finny

Can't see Hand moving on from Manchester. If anything - playing in the EPL should extend his career by a couple more seasons. You might as well close the running for the EPL's Player of the Season now.

Ocko

Finny said:
I wouldn't want to play all the teams 4 times in the league. We'll also be playing them in the Challenge Cup - which I would like to see extended so that you play all the teams in your group home and away.

3x7 = 21 Home League Games
3 Home Challenge Cup Games
1 BK Cup game
1 Playoff Quarter-Final Game

That would be 26 guaranteed home games. Only 1 less than our season ticket was last year.
Thats a great idea, I like the sound of playing EPL teams. It will give us a chance to see Manchester and Basingstoke again and show they're not forgotten. It will integrate the Brits more in the team too, who can often be forgotten. It's quite annoying when we see ENL guys sign for the team and not get on the ice. Such as Fisher last season who barely got a sniff.

Rempel16

mattski93 said:
Rempel16 said:

We won't lose many fans, if any - we're just glad that our owner has the common sense to see when we can't compete on multiple levels and find a level where we can and at the same time finally make a profit. We've been without a team twice in seven years, we'd rather it didn't happen again. A third time would be the death knell for hockey in Manchester.

I've told you once, I'll tell you again, and again after this if you still don't get it - Tony Hand is going nowhere.
Interesting that Edinburgh broke the news though, speaking of 'edinburgh-based' tony hand. No reason to say that at all.

I just can't see where a profit will come, less quality = less fans = less revenue, even if you do win everything. And the imports are on comparable money to those of eihl anyway (more in lots of cases), TH won't be taking a pay-cut, Walker and Boothroyd will have to be offered silly money to drop down a league too.

TheStub

Rempel16 said:
I just can't see where a profit will come, less quality = less fans = less revenue, even if you do win everything.
It doesn't always follow.

Lower league football sides attract good crowds, and hockey has the advantage that the league structure isn't well known to the un-initiated. So, an EPL is as likely as an EIHL side to attract casual/new fans. Also, just because it is Brits mainly, and the skill level lower, doesn't make it boring. In fact, as long as there is a good level of competition the EPL is going to be a good choice. Hull hockey got worse after they moved to the Elite level.

It wouldn't surprise me if the Phoenix, with more free cash, actually grew the crowds.

The EPL move is probably a good choice - and could allow them to the top flight in the future if they can build the fan base.

TheStub - it's EPL, not ENL ;)

Rempel16 - Tony is based in Edinburgh. He's always mentioned as 'Edinburgh-based' whenever the Phoenix are mentioned in that paper. He commutes for a few days at a time to Manchester and has a small place round the corner from the rink but spends the majority of his time at home.

TH isn't on as much as you'd think, Walker we'd probably have to pay to leave and Boothroyd lives, studies and (I think) works in Huddersfield so we're a sensible option for him. And it'll be a lot easier on the wallet to fly in four imports (particularly if they're European) who now have the time to get a part-time job than it would to fly in ten who will have no other income. And do not underestimate how much not travelling to Belfast will help us. And yes, we can now divert some of our money to marketing, which with the move to Brit-dominated hockey will do us a world of good in an Altrincham that still remembers the Aces years.