Play-off qualifier match. Home game.

I know this still isn't an answer, but unless Dundee win all their 3 games, and we lose both of ours, then it'll be Devils v Belfast in Playoff Quarter-Finals. Assuming Belfast would prefer only the one long journey, and make us do more travelling before the games, they would play the first leg at home. Belfast play a lot of their home games on a Friday, therefore March 29th leaving the second leg down the Bay on the 30th or 31st?

Total guesswork - but I think that's what the situation will end up being. I'll stop making assumptions now and just wait along with everyone else :)

James

Administrator
Let's hope we can keep up our playoff form against the Giants if it is them we play.
We've dumped them out of the playoffs in 2005, 2006, 2009, 2011 and 2012 (We'll ignore our 2010 shootout loss in the final to them)

Ok straight from Ragans mouth tonight. Belfast to win there 2 matches this weekend.
Devils to beat Panthers on sunday and that would equate to Devils vs Northern conference winner, brahead or dundee in the qtr finals.

I hope that comes off

Have Hope#35

andydevils said:
Ok straight from Ragans mouth tonight. Belfast to win there 2 matches this weekend.
Devils to beat Panthers on sunday and that would equate to Devils vs Northern conference winner, brahead or dundee in the qtr finals.

I hope that comes off
That doesn't add up... We need to drop a place in order to have the chance of facing the Winner of the Northern Conference! Therefore winning against Nottingham would just mean that we maintain our position in 5th (effective 6th). This would result in us playing 3rd which is Belfast!

Earnie

Have Hope#35 said:
andydevils said:

I hope that comes off
That doesn't add up... We need to drop a place in order to have the chance of facing the Winner of the Northern Conference! Therefore winning against Nottingham would just mean that we maintain our position in 5th (effective 6th). This would result in us playing 3rd which is Belfast!

It is a case of our conferance winner taking prioroty over the other conferance winner. That is Belfast winning our conferance despite Nottingham winning the league. Effectively that puts Northern Conferance winner in third place - who will play Cardiff. Something like that anyway?

Have Hope#35

Earnie said:
Have Hope#35 said:
andydevils said:

I hope that comes off

It is a case of our conferance winner taking prioroty over the other conferance winner. That is Belfast winning our conferance despite Nottingham winning the league. Effectively that puts Northern Conferance winner in third place - who will play Cardiff. Something like that anyway?
That makes sense, plus it would favour both Cardiff and Belfast in all likelyhood... Come on Belfast! No that just doesn't sound right... Come on Devils :lol:

So its in the Devils interest to beat the Panthers twice and hope Belfast win against Blaze and Steelers, if Panthers win the conference then the winner of the Gardiner conference will take 2nd seed pushing Giants into 3rd.

Coventry V Steelers is set in stone as they can't change positions in the league, Belfast would have more regulation wins in the event of a tie with Sheffield.

To be honest I would rather face the Devils than one of the Scottish sides, we have a good record in the BBT this season and with the first leg at the Odyssey a chance to hopefully go into the 2nd leg with a lead.

Of course the Devils have a great Playoff record and as mentioned have beaten the Giants at this stage before but I think your injuries and poor goaltending will be your downfall this year.

Wannabe2 said:
We dont have poor goaltending, and hopefully your cockiness will be your downfall.
Not cockiness but the Devils have only won 4 Games since the start of the year, and they were all against Gardiner conference sides.

Of course your injuries haven't helped but I don't think there would be many Devils fans that would have Whitley back as number 1 next year, also the Giants have won the same amount as the Devils this season nothing so not much to gloat about there from me.

The problem with the Gardiner sides as Giants found out to their cost up in Edinburgh is that they have been playing Playoff hockey since Christmas due to the competitiveness of their conference, and are therefore more likely too have form and momentum going into the qualifiers making them a harder proposition.

I just can't see the Devils having the same sort of momentum and intensity needed over both nights.

voth26

ggiant said:
Wannabe2 said:
We dont have poor goaltending, and hopefully your cockiness will be your downfall.
Not cockiness but the Devils have only won 4 Games since the start of the year, and they were all against Gardiner conference sides.

Of course your injuries haven't helped but I don't think there would be many Devils fans that would have Whitley back as number 1 next year, also the Giants have won the same amount as the Devils this season nothing so not much to gloat about there from me.

The problem with the Gardiner sides as Giants found out to their cost up in Edinburgh is that they have been playing Playoff hockey since Christmas due to the competitiveness of their conference, and are therefore more likely too have form and momentum going into the qualifiers making them a harder proposition.

I just can't see the Devils having the same sort of momentum and intensity needed over both nights.
For me whitley hasnt performed any worse than osaer did and phil was playing in a much stronger team when he was here start of the season, at least whitley is giving the impression he wants to be here and at the risk of getting flamed phil didnt give me that impression from early on.

ASHIPP

To get to the playoff final and win it the Giants may have to meet Panthers at some point. Now whose chances would you fancy based on previous playoff appearances?
;)

Sheincar

HockeyGirl123 said:
Completely off topic. But have the devils announced their playoff date if Belfast have announced theirs?
At the awards night PR said that if we get Belfast our home game will be 31st - they are already selling tickets for their home game on 30th. If we get Northern team then our home game will be on 30th.