Play Off Qualifying

osh

Thread starter #1
Can someone confirm the nature of the play off qualifying matches please. I know it's 1 plays 8, 2 plays 7, 3 plays 6 and 4 plays 5, but do the higher ranked teams play their home games first or second ? How is it worked out. The reason I ask is that many fans would like the 2nd leg at home ( as we would know exactly what we have to do on that night ) also, although it looks like Sheffield at the moment, we could in fact play Edinburgh ( unlikely I know ) but travel could also be a factor in such home and away games

Gazza272

osh said:
Can someone confirm the nature of the play off qualifying matches please. I know it's 1 plays 8, 2 plays 7, 3 plays 6 and 4 plays 5, but do the higher ranked teams play their home games first or second ? How is it worked out. The reason I ask is that many fans would like the 2nd leg at home ( as we would know exactly what we have to do on that night ) also, although it looks like Sheffield at the moment, we could in fact play Edinburgh ( unlikely I know ) but travel could also be a factor in such home and away games

Well if we play the Steelers apprantly they HAVE to play their home game on the sunday 28th! they have already started selling tickets.

This despite the fact there's nothing on at the arena on the Saturday :roll: So to be honest it doesnt really matter where we finish. Whcih is ridiculous.

Finny

Gazza272 said:
Well if we play the Steelers apprantly they HAVE to play their home game on the sunday 28th! they have already started selling tickets.

This despite the fact there's nothing on at the arena on the Saturday :roll: So to be honest it doesnt really matter where we finish. Whcih is ridiculous.
That's disgraceful. If they can't play the game before their opponents want to play theirs - their opposition should recieve a bye.

ASHIPP

Apparently something similar happening at the NIC. That will be interesting if Steelers are drawn against the Pants. Perhaps they play 1st leg in Notts then travel up M1 a bit quick and play in Sheffield the same night! :lol: :lol: :lol:

As for the Devils - when are the ENL teams playing that weekend? That will affect whether or not a Sat/Sun or other day home leg is feasible. I'm hoping it will be Devils v Capitals myself. :cool:

Finny

ASHIPP said:
Apparently something similar happening at the NIC.
Nottingham are more than entitled to start arranging their home game as they are definately a top 4 team.
Sheffield can no longer overtake us and so are definately a bottom 4 team and so should have their game whenever their opponents want.

ASHIPP

Finny said:
ASHIPP said:
Apparently something similar happening at the NIC.
Nottingham are more than entitled to start arranging their home game as they are definately a top 4 team.
Sheffield can no longer overtake us and so are definately a bottom 4 team and so should have their game whenever their opponents want.
Agreed, the top finishers should be allowed to decide their home leg first,if feasible.Imagine the scenario if Steelers and Pants happen to be drawn against eachother with Sunday possibly being booked in both venues! :eek:

DevilDom

As we are not an "arena" team - i'm sure we'll be told when we have to play the home leg regardless of where we finish. I'm also sure that the potential lost revenue for league if the steelers don't make it to the weekend will also cloud any agrument we may have against it to Elitte powers.

kettdevil1

DevilDom said:
As we are not an "arena" team - i'm sure we'll be told when we have to play the home leg regardless of where we finish. I'm also sure that the potential lost revenue for league if the steelers don't make it to the weekend will also cloud any agrument we may have against it to Elitte powers.
Would this be an issue? As far as I can see the playoffs sell out each year.

Sheincar

ASHIPP said:
Apparently something similar happening at the NIC. That will be interesting if Steelers are drawn against the Pants. Perhaps they play 1st leg in Notts then travel up M1 a bit quick and play in Sheffield the same night! :lol: :lol: :lol:

As for the Devils - when are the ENL teams playing that weekend? That will affect whether or not a Sat/Sun or other day home leg is feasible. I'm hoping it will be Devils v Capitals myself. :cool:
But won't that be a nightmare for travelling between home and away legs?

if we did get to play the capitals then surely it would be devils vs caps in cardiff on sat then caps vs devils on sunday.

I think G would give away home advantage to make the caps travel twice.

I'm not good at this strategy stuff, so correct me if I'm wrong. With a two leg game isn't it better to get as many goes in the first leg as possible, which is usually at a home match? Also, as mentioned, the other team have to travel for both matches. So if we play Sheffield and have to play there on the Sunday, it would be an advantage to us. Plus it'd be great to knock them out of the Playoffs on their own turf.

On another note, could someone remind me who plays who in the semis? I know 1st plays 8th, 2nd plays 7th, etc in the qualifiers, but can't remember about the semis.

Thanks

James

Administrator
Not sure there is a logic. Sometimes it's highest v lowest, sometimes it's first vs second. I guess they are drawn randomly (unless both Nottingham and Sheffied are there, I'd put money on them being seeded so they meet in the final)

Noticed in the Echo today that Adams said if we play Caps then we will play home on saturday and away sunday, and if we play Sheffield he is very very keen to play our home game on Sunday. Interesting days ahead i think. But knowing this league I expect Sheffield will get their way!!! :roll:

A

Anonymous

cf38 said:
Noticed in the Echo today that Adams said if we play Caps then we will play home on saturday and away sunday, and if we play Sheffield he is very very keen to play our home game on Sunday. Interesting days ahead i think. But knowing this league I expect Sheffield will get their way!!! :roll:
Someone posted before that Sheffield have already started selling tickets for their home leg ....... On the Sunday.