Play Off Weekend

Thread starter #1
Just thought I'd start a new topic for people to talk all things play-off weekend related!

Just booked 2 weekend passes for me and the misses! 10% booking fee - ouch! Managed to get into Block 15 though - even if it is towards the back. Not keen on heights but it'll be worth it!Supposed to be buying my Reading festival ticket tonight as well - very expensive day!

Still can't believe how good last nights game was - I've already told pretty much everyone in work about the game and that I'm off to Nottingham.

Trying to get accomodation this late is proving a nightmare - I was searching from 10.30pm until midnight going through at least 20-30 hotels / B&B's and even hostels with every one of them fully booked. I don't think there's a double room left within a 3 mile radius of the arena! Looks like I'll be booking somewhere outside the city centre and get the train in or do park and ride or something as I hear parking in the city centre is a bit of a nightmare and very expensive.

Looking forward to it so much. I doubt many others on here do - but I have a bit of a soft spot for Coventry as my first ice hockey match was actually at the Skydome as my brother-in-law invited me to a game when I was up there visiting for the weekend - they were playing the Devils and I've been attending pretty much every match at the Blue Tent ever since. Anyway - with Coventry in the other semi - it makes both really interesting for me. Wasn't sure about buying tickets for the final until I seen who was going to be in it (as I've done for the semi's) - but it's going to be an awesome final whoevers there. If it's either Devils or Blaze I'll have a team to support, and if it's Steelers v Panthers - well... lets just say I won't be supporting the Steelers :lol:

TheStub

A Devil calling for the Chavs? Never thought I would live to see the day :lol: :p

Some Nottingham advice - as someone who goes to Nott quite frequently - it is only an hour for me, and there are good gigs and shopping (apparently :lol:).

Parking in Nottingham is nice and easy - if you accept the fact that you never EVER take your car into the centre. I always park in Phoenix Park and Ride, just off the motorway junction (M1 junction 26). It is next to the Premier Inn.

There are Trams into the centre every 10 minutes throughout the day, and it is cheap enough for an all day ticket (it is either single or all day).

In previous years, we have crashed at the Premier Inn, and trundled back and forth on the tram all day. This year, I got a room in the centre - but still will be leaving the car and tram in. I have left the car there for a few days in the past with little problem. If you stay at the hotel at the stop, they even have their own car park.

Thread starter #3
Think I will probably go for the park and ride option.

Interesting to see on THF that out of 67 votes so far (apparently by fans of teams who haven't made the fianls), 36 have voted for Devils as the team they'll be supporting. Looks like we'll have some extra support outside of Block 15 then! :D

TheStub

Seems to be the normal case :lol:

Just another quick thought on travel. There is a direct train to Nottingham from Cardiff. Last I checked it was under 50 quid for a return. On a par with driving time wise - it has got to be quicker for any solo travellers, and easier than driving if there are two of you (cost difference depends on the weight of your foot, and size of your car - train would be cheaper for me, as 23 mpg in my silly car).

Train station is right in the centre, and has a tram stop inside. Most hotels are close to a tram stop, so easy to make your way.

Thread starter #10
I don't think I've ever been so excited for a weekend! I've been checking on her / elite site / THF about every 10 minutes for any news or anything play-off related!

I haven't worn my Devils shirt after getting it signed by the players as I didn't want it to get damaged or anything as I was going to frame it - but it looks like the frame will have to wait as I'll definitely be putting it back on this weekend! Hopefully I've got the signatures of the play-off winning team! :D

drainage

ledgend777 said:
Just thought I'd start a new topic for people to talk all things play-off weekend related!

Just booked 2 weekend passes for me and the misses! 10% booking fee - ouch! Managed to get into Block 15 though - even if it is towards the back. Not keen on heights but it'll be worth it!Supposed to be buying my Reading festival ticket tonight as well - very expensive day!

Still can't believe how good last nights game was - I've already told pretty much everyone in work about the game and that I'm off to Nottingham.

Trying to get accomodation this late is proving a nightmare - I was searching from 10.30pm until midnight going through at least 20-30 hotels / B&B's and even hostels with every one of them fully booked. I don't think there's a double room left within a 3 mile radius of the arena! Looks like I'll be booking somewhere outside the city centre and get the train in or do park and ride or something as I hear parking in the city centre is a bit of a nightmare and very expensive.

Looking forward to it so much. I doubt many others on here do - but I have a bit of a soft spot for Coventry as my first ice hockey match was actually at the Skydome as my brother-in-law invited me to a game when I was up there visiting for the weekend - they were playing the Devils and I've been attending pretty much every match at the Blue Tent ever since. Anyway - with Coventry in the other semi - it makes both really interesting for me. Wasn't sure about buying tickets for the final until I seen who was going to be in it (as I've done for the semi's) - but it's going to be an awesome final whoevers there. If it's either Devils or Blaze I'll have a team to support, and if it's Steelers v Panthers - well... lets just say I won't be supporting the Steelers :lol:
Just sent you a PM about a hotel I found this morning !!

Thread starter #12
Yeah - thanks drainage - I have seen it but was having troubling replying. I've got accomodation now - a few miles outside the city centre, but should be able to sort out train / park and ride to get to the arena without spending too much.

So Who's Supporting Who This Year??

Obviously In The Devils v Steelers Game, Its Gonna Be Devils For Me

But For The Blaze v Panthers Game.. Who've You All Decided On??

Im Goin Blaze !!

xxdevilsxx2006 said:
So Who's Supporting Who This Year??
Obviously In The Devils v Steelers Game, Its Gonna Be Devils For Me
But For The Blaze v Panthers Game.. Who've You All Decided On??
Im Goin Blaze !!
I'd rather Nottingham to be honest just because I dislike the Blaze more, however this year the Blaze haven't really annoyed me that much so I wouldn't mind a Devils v Blaze final.

Also I think the league would love a Sheff v Notts final so I really hope it doesn't happen!

Thread starter #16
What sort of facilities are there at the NIC - I've never been before. I'm guessing there's a couple of bars, a places to get food and that seeing as we're in there for a quite a few hours. Are there other rooms to go into have a drink or food in between games?

Also, is there any standing at the plexi in the NIC - or is the first row of seats quite low down? I'm in row T which I'm guessing isn't bad if you son't have to go up steps to get to the first row - bit high up if you do.

Are we likely to be able to see all of the ice from Block 15 or is it like our rink where in pretty much all the seats your at least missing a corner of the ice?

Where are the drummer's sitting? I'm used to sitting close to them so I'm not asking because I'm hoping I'm not near them (me and the misses sit in Block 9, Row E, seats 9 & 10) usually. I'm not a season ticket holder, but always seem to be able to get those seats anyway.

I'm sure a few of you have been there before, so any info would be good.

James

Administrator
Eat outside the rink, drink outside the rink. You will save ££££!. Block 15 are just about the best in the house.

I second the above. Get in amongst the pubs around the rink as opposed to staying in the rink all day.

As for Blaze v Panthers, Panthers for me. Nothing to do with my dislike for Carlyle Lewis honest! :x

Thread starter #19
James said:
Eat outside the rink, drink outside the rink. You will save ££££!. Block 15 are just about the best in the house.
:lol: I guessed that and will be making sure I have something decent to eat before on both days. But no doubt I'll buy food / drink while I'm in there, especially seeing as we'll be in there for up to 8 hours on Saturday - possibly more as I need to get there early to pick up my tickets from the box office - hoping that the queue won't be ridiculously long - shouldn't be as most people bought off the clubs or will go up on Friday and collect them then or something.

I think I did read this somewhere, so sorry to ask again - can you leave the rink / come back in between matches.

Chris

Administrator
Yes, just make sure you keep hold of your tickets!

You're better off buying any sweets or whatever from outside the rink as well, extortionate pricing polices on EVERYTHING in the NIC.

No standing room at all in the NIC unless you're in a box.

Usually the fans from the first game set out straight after the first semi to squeeze some food in before the start of the 2nd semi, there's usually 1-2 hours between games, so enough time to leg it to somewhere :)

Chris.