Playoff qualifiers

Gaz G

Thread starter #1
Now the league season is over. Who is playing who in the qualifiers and what are our predictions for these games?

Chris

Administrator
1v8 = Sheffield Steelers v Edinburgh Capitals
2v7 = Coventry Blaze v Newcastle Vipers
3v6 = Nottingham Panthers v Manchester Phoenix
4v5 = Belfast Giants v Cardiff Devils

Edinburgh could provide a real surprise, but with Sheffields form it's hard to see them not making the playoffs.

Newcastle beat Coventry last night so know it could be done, but they're suffering from a lot of injuries and i'm wondering if they can do enough over 2 legs.

Nottingham will not want to be missing out on the playoffs again, but Phoenix have a pretty good team, they've had a massive amount of games and it surely has to catch up with them at some point?

If the Devils can play like they did in the 1st leg of the BKO and how they played last night against the Panthers I think a win is achievable, the only concern is how inconsistent we have been. Giants have a very good team and we'll need to play a hell of a game over the 2 legs to win.

Chris.

Dan

steelers vs capitals 4-2
capitals vs steelers 5-4 steelers win 8-7

blaze vs vipers 6-2
vipers vs blaze 3-2 blaze win 8-5

panthers vs pheonix 3-2
pheonix vs panthers 4-4 panthers win 7-6

giants vs devils 1-3
devils vs giants 3-3 devils win 6-4

so that would give us sheffield, coventry, nottingham and cardiff in the semi's

I think all of them will be close, but I'm going for....

Sheffield to beat Edinburgh (agg score 8-4)

Coventry to beat Newcastle (agg score 6-3)

Manchester to beat Nottingham (agg score 7-6)

Belfast to beat Cardiff (agg score 5-4)

Despite our recent good run, we are playing a team who we've only beaten once in 8 games. Most of the games have been really close with only the last one (4-1 to Giants) being more than a one or two goal win. If the Giants are not too tired from a ridiculous end of season schedule, I can't see us beating them. Who knows though - ice hockey isn't a predictable game.

I wouldn't be able to call any of them. There is always a team that surprises at the play-offs.

Ednburgh are in the form of there life, so the Shiela's need to be vey aware.
Newcastle on there day can certainly match if not more than out match the physical side of hockey with the Chavs.

Tony hands have done well in the cups this season and are more than a match for the panties.

The devils against Belfast, well we are due a win and could they be tired or pick up injuries in the cups.

Fantastic line up I think.

"It took until the last weekend of the regular season to confirm their opponents, but it’s officially going to be the Cardiff Devils coming to town on Saturday Night at the Odyssey Arena. The Devils surged past the Manchester Phoenix on the back of a strong run of wins in March to leapfrog the Phoenix and set up this clash with the Giants for the right to advance to the Final Four Weekend in Nottingham on April 4th and 5th.

The Giants and Devils faced each other eight times this season, six in the league and two in the Knock Out Cup semi finals, with the Giants winning six of the games, the Devils winning once and with one draw between the two clubs. The Giants won all three games at the Odyssey Arena, with the Devils only win occurring on home ice when they shut out the Giants 2-0 on February 7th, 2009.

The Devils are coming off of six wins in a row to finish the season in a massive high, where the Giants have lost five of their last six, however they have been stuck in fourth place in the league and have concentrated on the two Cups over the last month, already winning the Challenge Cup last Tuesday, with the chance to win the Knock Out Cup on Thursday Night.

The Devils will have to travel two days in a row for this playoff series, flying to Belfast on Saturday and flying early Sunday morning back to play their home leg on Sunday Night. Travel could take its toll, as could the Knock Out Cup game on Thursday Night for the Giants. Either way, this series is set to be one of the most memorable in recent years with both teams finding their form and getting key players back from injury at exactly the right time."

Seems the Giants had an alterior motive for their home leg on Saturday, hope it backfires severely lol!

I don't understand that press release....

'both teams finding their form'

but above says

'The Devils are coming off of six wins in a row to finish the season in a massive high, where the Giants have lost five of their last six'

samidevils said:
I don't understand that press release....

'both teams finding their form'

but above says

'The Devils are coming off of six wins in a row to finish the season in a massive high, where the Giants have lost five of their last six'
cough deliberatly to play us cough :p

Looking forward to a great game at the Odyssey, hopefully by then we will be double cup winners :D :D and can carry that momentum onto this game. Giants form isn't an accurate measuring stick as Thornton has rested players and players have played on different lines to conserve energy for the Cup games.

Im hoping that the Giants can take a couple of goals lead to Wales as i think that suits our more skilled players ie Deniset and Martin as the Devils have to come and attack the Giants leaving space behind them. Our last result there should also give our guys confidence to know that even if the result doesn't go our way on Saturday night they can still do it on Sunday.

Will there be an Internet radio broadcast for this one?

The question is will there be a broadcast that stays on for the whole game :)

Im surprised to see that all of the top 4 have given away the home advantage in the second game.

Im guessing that Shuff couldnt get ice time, Belfast want us to travel twice, and Nottingham ice time too but cant understand Coventry's decision.
I wonder if it will bite them on the ace!

timetoplaythegame said:
Im surprised to see that all of the top 4 have given away the home advantage in the second game.

Im guessing that Shuff couldnt get ice time, Belfast want us to travel twice, and Nottingham ice time too but cant understand Coventry's decision.
Belfast can't play home games on a Sunday, so the Cardiff home leg would have had to be mid-week, or Friday, which wouldn't have gone down well.

Newcastle could only get the MRA on the Sunday so Coventry had to make do with the first leg.

Steelers got screwed over by Dancing on Ice (which apparently needs 5 days to set up...)/ The Arena, so that's why it's at IceSheffield. Not impressed. :twisted:

timetoplaythegame said:
The question is will there be a broadcast that stays on for the whole game :)

I wonder if it will bite them on the ace!

Here's the story;

http://www.thestar.co.uk/news/Steelers- ... 5095977.jp

And more from Simms;

http://www.hallofsteel.co.uk/wp/

Holl_5 said:
Steelers got screwed over by Dancing on Ice (which apparently needs 5 days to set up...)/ The Arena, so that's why it's at IceSheffield. Not impressed. :twisted:

Awwww, I feel for them I do. Think of the gate money they'll lose on a big playoff qualifier event like that.

puck said:
Holl_5 said:

Awwww, I feel for them I do. Think of the gate money they'll lose on a big playoff qualifier event like that.
I'm not sure how much they actually lose finacially. Anyone know? Don't they make a loss on every game (perhaps bar Panthers) at the arena?

Holl_5 said:
timetoplaythegame said:

Belfast can't play home games on a Sunday, so the Cardiff home leg would have had to be mid-week, or Friday, which wouldn't have gone down well.

Newcastle could only get the MRA on the Sunday so Coventry had to make do with the first leg.

The above is the perfect argument as to why Cardiff doesn't need an arena to play out of