Possible new local rivals

osh

Thread starter #1
It's been announced that a new £20 million ice complex is being proposed at Weston Super Mare!

10000 seat ice hockey arena etc etc. It'll probably be built before our new complex ;)

Koop11

I read about this on the weekend. I’m not sure it will happen. Is there really the will for a 10k seater arena in that quieter part of the country? Even more ambitious, a top flight ice hockey team playing that far from the rest of the league? I think it’s a pipe dream but you’re right, will probably be up before ours 

kettdevil1

osh said:
It's been announced that a new £20 million ice complex is being proposed at Weston Super Mare!

10000 seat ice hockey arena etc etc. It'll probably be built before our new complex ;)
It does seem like a slightly odd place to build a rink, would be great if it does happen but I am unconvinced. There are a number of these proposals floating around with potential rinks in Plymouth, Leeds and Leicester.

D

Deleted member 1337

James said:
10,000 seats as long as you have 3 people on your lap looking at that pic.
I didn't create it I just post what I find that could be useful :)
(Well, I try)

osh

Thread starter #12
Wannabe2 said:
Won't happen in a million years, another Leeds.
Lets hope you're right, but the latest delays on our new rink don't make for good reading so who knows these days?

osh said:
Wannabe2 said:
Won't happen in a million years, another Leeds.
Lets hope you're right, but the latest delays on our new rink don't make for good reading so who knows these days?

How can you say 'latest delays' when the developers are still within the timescales of the Development Agreement and will still probably finish up well within those time scales. Expectations have been created regarding a start date of Sept/ Oct and I would expect some preliminary works on the site to start a lot earlier than Dec / Jan.

There is some over reaction by some parties that a digger hasn't been seen on the site. I am sure Greenbank could arrange that if they wanted to deceive people in to the illusion that work had begun in earnest.

I think the fans should be pleased that they have a car park for a little longer rather than the land be closed up for no reason just so that people could see diggers on site

osh

Thread starter #14
Quite clearly this is a delay! Scrolling back through the "Latest Rink Update " topic, , it has been quoted time and time again that we would be playing out of our rink by next December 2014. That is obviously not going to happen is it? So, as stated, yet another delay, no matter how you try to dress it up as anything else. It seems to be one excuse after another, but as long as we get a rink we have to accept what is happening. Even Paul Ragan is unhappy about it.

The strange thing is you never really questioned things the first time it was mentioned that the rink would be completed by May 2014! Why is that?

Finny

osh said:
Quite clearly this is a delay! Scrolling back through the "Latest Rink Update " topic, , it has been quoted time and time again that we would be playing out of our rink by next December 2014.
But not by the developers themselves.

osh said:
Quite clearly this is a delay! Scrolling back through the "Latest Rink Update " topic, , it has been quoted time and time again that we would be playing out of our rink by next December 2014. That is obviously not going to happen is it? So, as stated, yet another delay, no matter how you try to dress it up as anything else. It seems to be one excuse after another, but as long as we get a rink we have to accept what is happening. Even Paul Ragan is unhappy about it.

The strange thing is you never really questioned things the first time it was mentioned that the rink would be completed by May 2014! Why is that?

Oh well, I am all beat up because Paul Ragan isn't happy about it, the fact remains it will be constructed and within the terms of the agreement. Greenbank hoped to complete earlier than now anticipated. I believe that if Paul Ragan had won the original tender he would have encountered the same problems that Greenbank have and everyone having a pop at him would have been seen as negative by posters on this forum and we would have had a one and half size pad rink as opposed to a Twin pad.

This forum generally encourages optimism and positivity and Greenbank may have been over optimistic, there is nothing to be gained from jumping up and down, spitting our dummies out and throwing our toys out of our prams.

However I totally agree with you about the state of the Tent and something needs to be done about that

osh

Thread starter #17
jodysstillagirlsname said:
osh said:

Oh well, I am all beat up because Paul Ragan isn't happy about it, the fact remains it will be constructed and within the terms of the agreement. Greenbank hoped to complete earlier than now anticipated. I believe that if Paul Ragan had won the original tender he would have encountered the same problems that Greenbank have and everyone having a pop at him would have been seen as negative by posters on this forum and we would have had a one and half size pad rink as opposed to a Twin pad.

This forum generally encourages optimism and positivity and Greenbank may have been over optimistic, there is nothing to be gained from jumping up and down, spitting our dummies out and throwing our toys out of our prams.

However I totally agree with you about the state of the Tent and something needs to be done about that
You seem to be the only one spitting out dummies. Perhaps you should be a little bit more sympathetic to PR on this issue, after all, he is putting a lot of money into our team and was led to believe that we would be playing out of a fantastic arena long before we actually will be. We would all be whinging more if he decided these obvious delays were enough for him to give up on us.

osh said:
jodysstillagirlsname said:
osh said:

You seem to be the only one spitting out dummies. Perhaps you should be a little bit more sympathetic to PR on this issue, after all, he is putting a lot of money into our team and was led to believe that we would be playing out of a fantastic arena long before we actually will be. We would all be whinging more if he decided these obvious delays were enough for him to give up on us.
Since the planning was not given until 3 months after the anticipated start date and there were other issues to sort out linked to the Planning consent. I cannot see how the facility can be built any quicker, nothing will change as I keep getting told on here, move on, go forward.

As someone who posted their construction credentials on here, would you sacrifice quality of build for a speedier construction ? I somehow doubt it.

As I said earlier teh BBT needs sorting out for te interim period

osh

Thread starter #19
Would I sacrifice quality of build for a speedier construction? Certainly not, but that's not the issue.
The point is, we were told it would be completed by May next year, it's going to be at least 2 years beyond that date, why am I not allowed to query such a long delay? Anyway, enough said, lets hope the BBT hold out that long otherwise we may have to play out of the new rink being proposed at Weston ! :lol: