Powerbreaks

Pondlife

Thread starter #1
Last night's game wasn't televised was it? Anyone know what the deal is with Powerbreaks in 1st and 3rd periods?

Wannabe2

It’s pretty annoying don’t you think, is it a level playing thing in a strange way, so if your televised or not it happens. Nothing is surprising in this league.

E.D.S.

Wonder what the Rev Gen is from this that makes it worth doing? Plus there's so many rules about when you can and can't do it depending on who's on the attack/under pressure etc? There weren't any in the first period, a false call in the 2nd and then another actual break later and one in the 3rd I believe. Seems a bit of headache for all involved.

Pembo

It’s a shame about the power breaks as they seem to be inherited from corporate pressure in the big leagues. Bit of an unnecessary momentum killer in a non televised game, I would have thought additional revenue generation even in televised game likely to be pretty small beer in our league.

Diafol

My first thought was maybe it's just a "cooling break" like they've had in football recently.
I'm probably wrong and it's more likely to be similar to a "TV time out" in the NHL.
Either way it does seem a bit odd for a non-televised game.

Devil94

Powerbreaks have been jntroduced to the Elite League this year for every game, one every period.
Every other league I know of does it so it's nothing new. A chance for webcasts to put adverts on maybe?

kettdevil1

Powerbreaks have been jntroduced to the Elite League this year for every game, one every period.
Every other league I know of does it so it's nothing new. A chance for webcasts to put adverts on maybe?
Thanks - didn't know that. I do sometimes idly wonder what happens if there is a long stretch without a whistle... do you have a Powerbreak with (say) a minute to go or scrap it.....

moggy#9

I can only assume that it's at the request of premier sports and they're using this as an opportunity to get used to it. To me it just seems like another thing to sap the atmosphere.
I think I'd be a bit pissed off I've paid £15 for a webcast and then have to sit through adverts too.

moggy#9

It’s the old saying, if it ain’t broken, then try to fix it..
It's astonishing to me the things the league will find to tinker with whilst ignoring the fundamental problems off the league. What about things like the awful cup and playoff formats? What about the officiating? What about dops? What about the league management? What about league-wide streaming? There's lots of issues that they could address, but they choose this.

matbur

I'd hoped it was just a pre-season preparation thing to allow coaches to speak with their team, which I didn't mind at all.

Will be disappointed if it's incorporated into the season. It's not in the fans interests and as far as I'm aware, it's nothing do with improving the ice, as what happens in the NHL.

terry hunt

I suspect it has to do with the CHL.
Obviously Premier Sports and other broadcasters like these for ads.We are in the Continental Cup this year so could be getting used to the idea.
I am sure sponsors like the idea as most of them dont like sports just the exposure they get.
Cricket fans seem to be hooked on the Hundred format and that is like a bloody great circus but gets the "family" support in and advertisers love it.
Pretty sure there is worse to come.

moggy#9

Perhaps the EIHL has taken into account the forthcoming exorbitant rise in energy and the ‘Power Break’ will entail a switch off of everything electrical during that period :).
This brings to mind a more serious issue. Given how energy intensive ice rinks are, will all teams be able to afford to finish the season, or might some have to close down and out their buildings into mothballs?