Qualifying for Playoffs 2010

Thread starter #1
As there are only 8 teams it the league at present, would I be right in assuming that we all qualify for the Playoffs? Then the league positions would only decide who plays who to get to the semis.

I assume this is correct, i couldnt think of any other way they could do the playoffs this year. I personally think they are to short, the only other way they could do it would be like the group stages they had a few years ago.

Assuming they go with all 8 teams I'd have thought this would be the ideal year to bring the group stages back, but I suspect it won't happen with only a week from end of season to playoff weekend.
:(

I can understand the issues with ice time at the arenas, but I can only see this being a problem for nottingham with no second ice pad big enough. It's 3 home games instead of one and even if Belfast and Sheff play two of those three at their second rinks it's still more ticket sales than one game.

There's also the arguement about having to pay the players an extra week, but I'm sure they could have squeezed it in with a bit of forward planning.

The group stages were much better IMO

Here's a radical suggestion...why not go with six playoff teams (3 in each group) and split the revenue evenly through the 8 clubs. That would show real long-term thinking and team-work for the good of top-flight hockey. :D

DevilDom

Soundwave1 said:
Here's a radical suggestion...why not go with six playoff teams (3 in each group) and split the revenue evenly through the 8 clubs. That would show real long-term thinking and team-work for the good of top-flight hockey. :D
This is the Elitte league you are talking about isn't it?
:lol:

Also I can't see Shuff or Pansies agreeing to anything like this when they only appear to have self-interest at heart and couldn't give a stuff about the rest of the league or future of other ice-hockey teams. I'm pretty sure they would be happy playing each other every weekend in "the biggest rivilary in European Hockey". :lol:

You're quite right...I don't seriously think this would happen......but it should :D

Unfortunately, enough of the owners are too short-sighted to go for anything like this :(

The way I see it, the Panthers (the team with the biggest crowds) would probably end up making similar money from 6 games (3 home and 3 away) under this system as they do under the current one home playoff game. In the meantime they'd be helping support the game as a whole.

This goes for all the bigger clubs.

I don't want to take away from the the Panther's achievements...they've proven hockey can be a success are the model. But, what a statement of intent it would be! :D

The NFL has operated a syetem of reveue sharing since 2006

'The NFL shares more than 80 percent of league and club revenues, plus proceeds from its $20 billion television contracts.'

http://www.twincities.com/sports/ci_14355225

While the system is currently being debated, but if they have done it no such a massive scale, surely revenue from just 6 games at the end of a season wouldn't be too much to ask.