Romfo Returns...

Thread starter #1
The Inferno has learned that axed defenceman Scott Romfo has re-signed with the Cardiff Devils.

Romfo was released before Christmas with newcomer Ryan Finnerty taking his import slot. Despite a slow start with the Devils Romfo’s form had picked up and his release came as a shock to the Cardiff faithful. It appears finances at the club are in a better position now and Romfo, who was released due to financial considerations, will rejoin his team-mates and the Cardiff Devils will run with 11 imports.

Romfo, who is studying Business in Cardiff University has been looking at other options since his initial departure, playing a handful of games for his old team South Carolina Stingrays over the Christmas period. The Devils also investigated the option of him playing for the Devils ENL side and the Basingstoke Bison in the EPL but was prevented from doing so due to Visa limitations.

It's not known when Scott will play his first game back but is already back training with the team so it could well be against the Panthers this weekend.

davew

Welcome back Scott. Thanks to the organisaton for enabling his return.

I look forward to seeing a MOM performance from him soon.

i think this is great news as after he settled in he was solid... G should step back and coach now whilst maintaining his fitness in case of injury.

welcome back Scott

If the news is right, common sense wins and romfo is back. Well done club, it makes sense and it takes a big person to accept they got it wrong and to put the wrong right. Well done.

TheStub

This augers well for club finances. I can't imagine Matt would be willing to pump too much of his own money into financing this deal - so it means that the team must be around the point of supporting 11 imports.

So, good day for the roster - and a good day for stability of the club :D

Kooool :p

Romfo was very solid the last few games he played for us. Lets just hope he comes back at THAT level.

Also very pleased that we'll still have G for injury cover, and he can return to the bench and hopefully see what's going wrong away from home.

Exactly what it says I suppose ;)

He's injury cover mainly as we have too many imports, but if a player isn't doing well, or for a tactical decision he might play instead of someone else.

Be good to have competition and have a few looking over their shoulder at the prospect of being dropped. Hopefully we'll see 100% from everyone in every game from now on.

Finny

I can't work out whether that means that Romfo will only play when necessary - or whether it means we will be rotating the teams - as the 'tactical' bit suggests.

I'd like to see us use a bit of squad rotation at times, Smithy still doesn't seem fully fit at times and perhaps 1 game a week would help him. Against Belfast there was a chance of him breaking away but he didn't have the acceleration he used to.

Perhaps we could also try having an extra man in defence for away games in the hope it solves our terrible form.

Whatever it means, it's a great move by the club and another indication of our far we have moved along. The fact we have kept Romfo in Uni and now bringing him back should improve our reputation amongst the hockey community even further.

jimmy snels

so G is going to bench himself then i guess??? good news either way that scott has returned, although i wasnt his biggest fan at the start he improved alot towards the end and i personally feel he is a better D man than G, although i hope the axing hasnt effected his confidance.

A

Anonymous

Great news for all really, suprised but very pleased. I think rotation might well come into play but hes most likely to be used as cover imo. Perhaps one of the D men has picked up a knock over the weekend?

Gazza272

TheDevilTorn said:
Great news for all really, suprised but very pleased. I think rotation might well come into play but hes most likely to be used as cover imo. Perhaps one of the D men has picked up a knock over the weekend?

I assume G is still struggling a bit with his breathing due to the broken nose, he probably shouldnt have been playing these past few weeks, and it makes his performances even better imo.

TheDevilTorn said:
Thats Great news so glad he is back,welcome back Scott!!! :D

wildthing74

Got to be good news all round.The timing was bad and whilst I am all for team 1st and sentiment later it must have been a sickener for Scott losing his job before Christmas knowing that his course would see him commited to being in Cardiff long term.
On top of that to come after his best form as a Devil must have been a double kick in the plums for him
I was not impressed by his early season form and like others here would not have lost too much sleep had he been gassed in Oct/start November time but he really did show he could play towards the end of his first stay.
Good on G and Matt for making it happen and now we might have a slight edge over others with the extra guy and maybe even help us close the gap on the others who are doing exactly the same.
On the road it might even be good to rest an import forward and go with solid D.We aint scoring much anyway and if we can keep it tighter and concede less then we always got the chance of a result.
Welcome back Scotty